User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    We used these little solar lights from Harbor Freight. They have dusk to dawn sensors and come on dimly at dusk. Motion sensors trigger them to be bright if there is motion. We like them a lot. They come with attachment tape on them but I wouldn't trust it. Use the tape I linked in my post above.

https://www.harborfreight.com/115-lu...ack-56252.html

Attachment 42199
    How do your neighbors feel about them?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    How do your neighbors feel about them?
    Honestly we very seldom have neighbors. When we are in a campground these pale in comparison to what a lot of other campers are leaving on. The dim mode is not bright at all. They have a switch so you can just turn them off and on manually if you feel like they are going to bother anyone.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was kind of joking, but not completely. Many people seem to be unaware that everyone else doesn't love their outside lights as much as they do, like the onground rope lights, underawning lights, and hanging pendant lights. The main complaint I have is when people go inside for the night, they leave all the lights on. Not a problem if the light never goes out of their site...
    Howard and Peggy

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course if you're parked there, what do you need outside motion lights for anyway. I'd enjoy the dark, and starry sky.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Of course if you're parked there, what do you need outside motion lights for anyway. I'd enjoy the dark, and starry sky.

My wife is a stargazer. The place we are camped is the only certified dark sky area within 600 miles. But sometimes we do go outside at night. You know, investigate things that go bump in the night and such. Kinda cool to see when we do.

We have all manner of offending lights that we turn off so she can do her thing. The rear patio becomes her observatory.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal word of caution is the classic "they don't make things like they used to." The problem with any of these projects is you mount what you have now and then it fails in a year or two and the replacement has a different mount so now you are stuck with the previous screw holes or permanent body tape. Maybe that makes the mounting tape a better choice as you could tape over the same area?

I haven't mounted anything on my camper so I have never thought about it until now, but on my boats I have always mounted a plate first, and then mounted things on the plate. If I don't like the angle or get a new unit I can change it on the plate and fill the previous holes with caulk just for aesthetics. Here is an example, although you might find something better for your camper - https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bass...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Another possible solution is to consider buying back up units of whatever you purchase. It might be more expensive but you may appreciate the insurance. We have 6 solar lights on our pasture fence posts at home and they failed every couple of years. We were tired of replacing them and they weren't all that expensive so we bought a 18 pack or something of the sort. Now when one fails I can just use the same mounts to replace them. I think I've replaced 2 so far and have plenty left for the future.
    Last edited by Timmer; 08-01-2022 at 06:58 AM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that 3m tape is what i use also. some car manufactures use that to hold the side chrome moldings on cars. very water proof and will not come off
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    I have 2 motion lights, one above each entry door, on my Momentum 31G. Both are attached with 3m double side tape that we use in the autobody shop. I used the 3m proprietary adhesion promoter on mine but it's not 100% necessary. Clean the surfaces well with alcohol and the lights aren't going anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BO913C...cm_wl_huc_item

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesion-P...453933&sr=8-17
    Thanks! This is what we did. It's the 3M tape that can last up to 250 degrees. Been working great for a few days now. Just tough getting them on as the plastic teething on the tape is new.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I've been thinking about doing this also. What type of lights did you folks use?
    These are the ones I used: https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Refle...%2C205&sr=8-11
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I want them is because in the northeast people tend to be weekend warriors and they're not as respectful here. I want a light to let them know that they shouldn't be on or near our rig. Stay for a summer in either Sea Pines or Lake and Shore (Both Thousand Trails) and you'll understand. Since I've mounted them with the 3M tape, they've been working fine.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast