User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding 2nd A/C to Small TT

Wondered if anyone on the forum has successfully added a 2nd smaller (BTU) A/C to their camper that only came equipped for a single? Like the 30amp 2600RB we just took delivery of. I'm not asking about those campers that came with one but outfitted for the additional add-on.

Reason I'm asking is that in 100°+ weather like we are currently experiencing in Texas, the inside temp begins day near 65° but then continues to rise to ~70° by 18:00 with outside temp hovering ~103°. The camper is in the shade and and the TD across the A/C coil is 20°, so it is doing all it can. The heat load is just a smidgen over its capacity.

Just wondering if anyone has wormed a 2nd unit into the roof with an auxiliary power source (separate from the main 30amp service)?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Wondered if anyone on the forum has successfully added a 2nd smaller (BTU) A/C to their camper that only came equipped for a single? Like the 30amp 2600RB we just took delivery of. I'm not asking about those campers that came with one but outfitted for the additional add-on.

Reason I'm asking is that in 100°+ weather like we are currently experiencing in Texas, the inside temp begins day near 65° but then continues to rise to ~70° by 18:00 with outside temp hovering ~103°. The camper is in the shade and and the TD across the A/C coil is 20°, so it is doing all it can. The heat load is just a smidgen over its capacity.

Just wondering if anyone has wormed a 2nd unit into the roof with an auxiliary power source (separate from the main 30amp service)?
    If you are maintaining between 65 and 70 deg F in over 100 deg temps, that is awesome!

If you want to add a second roof air, you will need lots of work. Not only will you need to add a circuit to your 120v distribution center, but you need to up your rig to 50 amp. That means new input wires on the mains (or ac in), beefier wires to the batteries. You certainly can add to your existing setup, but most likely would only be able to run the two airs alone, maybe.

Others with more experience can chime in, but I would not attempt that. Look into maybe a portable or mini split, even then on 30 amps is questionable. I wish you luck and am interested to see anyone who may have done that.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=masterdrago;438191

Just wondering if anyone has wormed a 2nd unit into the roof with an auxiliary power source (separate from the main 30amp service)?[/QUOTE]

Physically, with a separate power source such as you suggested I don't know why it would not be possible. Do you have a ceiling vent available? If not it would be a little more difficult as you would have to cut a hole and frame in for the A/C.

Campgrounds usually just have one 30 amp receptacle. I'm assuming you are thinking about powering the unit on a 15 amp circuit on the CG pedestal. Will the smaller A/C's units operate at this available current?

Then, how are you going to get the wiring to the A/C?

Other than all this, sounds like a simple job!
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally with that little rise I wouldn't do anything but there are options, in addition to converting your unit to 50A as suggested above.

What size is your current AC? A larger AC is probably the easiest.
    Several people on the forest river forms have add a 2nd air with a separate outside power connection, then run a separate cord to the pedestal.
    With my prior TT I would bring a portable unit with for the really hot days, it seemed to work ok.
    Do you have a slide topper? If not if may reduce the heat gain enough.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    Do you have a slide topper? If not if may reduce the heat gain enough.
    Agreed, there are a number of other heat control methods that I'd be looking at like Reflectix in the windows as well as a slide topper. More insulation, heat-reflecting paint, the list goes on.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On our 30 Amp 2008 Dutchmen I put a 2nd AC in the bedroom on a separate 20 Amp circuit to take advantage of the 30 Amp for the Coach and one AC. The 20 amp circuit was run to a separate input that I mounted under the coach in a weatherproof box. I plugged in to both the 20 and 30 AMP receptacles on the pedestal with the respective cords.
    The 20 Amp circuit was run through the Styrofoam between the roof and the ceiling to a closet and then in conduit to the floor into the exterior box. The hardest part was framing out the existing 14 inch roof opening that was not designed to have an AC that "compresses" the ceiling to roof void to ensure the AC roof gasket is compressed correctly.
    If you are a handyman type it is definitely doable.
    Last edited by The_Lovells; 07-22-2022 at 02:28 PM.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.amazon.com/Epicord-Dogbo...8607431&sr=8-8 A 50 to 2 30 amp spliiter is what I used.. Installed a 2nd 30 amp receptacle. 10 gauge wire to a small breaker box then up through the closet and over to the vent... Using this method as opposed the method above insures that each AC is on a separate leg of the 240 volts connector at the campsite...
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't already have rv air flow i would start there huge difference in performance and simple to install .

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had already planned to look at getting a separate line to the 20 amp pedestal circuit. A/C, microwave, coffeemaker, toaster will surely overload a 30 amp circuit - all about power management. We could not pull the next larger trailer (too weighty. Also to refit the existing vent in the bedroom. The slide topper and refectix suggestion appeals to me. The parts guy had suggested the slide topper and I will be researching that.
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had already planned to look at getting a separate line to the 20 amp pedestal circuit. A/C, microwave, coffeemaker, toaster will surely overload a 30 amp circuit - all about power management. We could not pull the next larger trailer (too weighty. Also to refit the existing vent in the bedroom. The slide topper and refectix suggestion appeals to me. The parts guy had suggested the slide topper and I will be researching that.
    You would hope that the 30 amp & 20 amp hookups came off different legs of the 50 amp circuit.... But?
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}