User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I-70 in eastern colorado

Has anyone traveled this road lately? Last time I drove from KC to Denver I-70 was really rough in eastern Colorado.
    Mike
    2021 reflection 303rls,
    2018 f250 lariat super crew 6.5' bed fx4 diesel
    reece gen 2 goose box

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike - we drove it last fall (November) on our way to Loveland and in the spring of 2019 through Denver on our way to Bryce/Zion. Much of it has been re-done. Yes, it was extremely rough years ago thus we quit taking that route. We were not pulling the 303 but I would pull the camper on it w/o question. Very little traffic, few towns, and wide open spaces. Cars were passing us one after another doing well over 80.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
    Thanks Dan
    My son and I are spending July in Colorado mostly in western Colorado. We drove through Kansas to denver and yes the roads in eastern Colorado and all along I 70 are a train wreck. We drove to grand junction and are working our way back to KY. As soon as you enter colorado from Kansas on I70 you feel the lack of maintenance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    My son and I are spending July in Colorado mostly in western Colorado. We drove through Kansas to denver and yes the roads in eastern Colorado and all along I 70 are a train wreck. We drove to grand junction and are working our way back to KY. As soon as you enter colorado from Kansas on I70 you feel the lack of maintenance.
    [emoji1369]Agreed![emoji1369] I70 on the Colorado side of the CO/KS line is a disgrace for Colorado DOT! It gets better and worse as you go into Colorado but that initial stretch at the state line is ridiculous.
    David & Janelle plus April & Jazzee our blue heelers
    Farming/ranching in eastern Colorado...but not for much longer!!
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL (4/2019)
    2020 Ford F450 DRW 4X4 8' bed (1/2020)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janelle29 View Post
    [emoji1369]Agreed![emoji1369] I70 on the Colorado side of the CO/KS line is a disgrace for Colorado DOT! It gets better and worse as you go into Colorado but that initial stretch at the state line is ridiculous.
    Ugh. I didn't want to read this! We go I-70 East out of Denver, heading to Minnesota, the end of August.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Ugh. I didn't want to read this! We go I-70 East out of Denver, heading to Minnesota, the end of August.
    Just be prepared to slow down for that stretch. It isn’t miles and miles of bad roads….CDOT has done construction on I70 in eastern Colorado over the years….apparently they just haven’t seen the need to do it at the KS state line! We always figure they were about to fix it….then a rock slide happens in Glenwood Canyon and they shift all the moneys back in to the mountain roads again. [emoji12] Safe Travels everyone!
    David & Janelle plus April & Jazzee our blue heelers
    Farming/ranching in eastern Colorado...but not for much longer!!
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL (4/2019)
    2020 Ford F450 DRW 4X4 8' bed (1/2020)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janelle29 View Post
    Just be prepared to slow down for that stretch. It isn’t miles and miles of bad roads….CDOT has done construction on I70 in eastern Colorado over the years….apparently they just haven’t seen the need to do it at the KS state line! We always figure they were about to fix it….then a rock slide happens in Glenwood Canyon and they shift all the moneys back in to the mountain roads again. [emoji12] Safe Travels everyone!
    Getting up a Colorado kid, I'm very familiar with dodging potholes on Colfax. I also know the spring is the worst for them and toward the middle of summer CDOT had fixed the biggest offenders. It USED to be that I-70 from Denver to Kansas was one of the nicest stretches, IF you could get past the contraption we dubbed "the mouse trap". Which, if I understand correctly, has been completely rebuilt and is much more friendly.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a toss up when driving to Denver, crap roads on I70 or crap drivers on I25. Either way, hauling an RV to/thru Denver is certainly an unforgettable experience.

As far as I70, we bypass the poor booring highway roads going to an from Denver, and usually go south thru Pueblo and southern KS (50 and 56) to bypass most of eastern CO and western KS I70. We just got to plan our fuel stops a little better when doing it due to the smaller towns and fuel availability. We eventually get back on I70 west of Salina KS which by then is a little better and maybe not as booring. Besides, get to drive by my old milirary stomping ground at Ft Riley and Junk City.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Its a toss up when driving to Denver, crap roads on I70 or crap drivers on I25. Either way, hauling an RV to/thru Denver is certainly an unforgettable experience.

As far as I70, we bypass the poor booring highway roads going to an from Denver, and usually go south thru Pueblo and southern KS (50 and 56) to bypass most of eastern CO and western KS I70. We just got to plan our fuel stops a little better when doing it due to the smaller towns and fuel availability. We eventually get back on I70 west of Salina KS which by then is a little better and maybe not as booring. Besides, get to drive by my old milirary stomping ground at Ft Riley and Junk City.
    Unfortunately, this leg of our trip is on a timeline, so Interstates it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast