User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    IF you could get past the contraption we dubbed "the mouse trap". Which, if I understand correctly, has been completely rebuilt and is much more friendly.
    OK, more please on the mouse trap? Headed this way late Sept from Rapid City - could go through North Platte I guess.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    OK, more please on the mouse trap? Headed this way late Sept from Rapid City - could go through North Platte I guess.
    From what I understand, about 15-20 years ago, the interchange at I-70 and I-25 was rebuilt to be less confusing and have better traffic flow. It was originally dubbed "the mouse trap", back in the early 70's due to the confusing mess when transitioning from either I-25 or I-70 to the other, or to any of the interstate exits that were in close proximity to the interchange. During rush hour, that section of both Interstates would come to a grinding halt, usually for several hours, until things shook loose. If you do a close-up on Google Maps in satellite view, you can see what it looks like today. I'm sure you can Google overhead photographs from the 80's to see what it looked like then.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I traveled that route through Denver probably dozens of times over the years, skiing, touring, etc. And yes, that interchange I-70 and I-25 was pretty bad. Luckily we always avoided it during rush hours.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many trips there and yes, went through it many times in the 1980s and 1990s and never knew it was called that.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    First of all agree with I70 eastern Colo comments. I live in Denver area and it is an embarrassment starting at the state line. Driving in left lane for stretches to ease the back pain is an option but be aware it’s illegal to drive in the left lane in Colorado unless you are passing so you risk a ticket even if there is no one around. Regarding “mousetrap”, our nickname for I-70/I-25 intersection in middle of Denver, the entire stretch of I-70 from there east about 5 miles is under construction. You can miss the whole thing by taking E-470 toll road north from I-70 before you even get to metro traffic. coming out on I-25 roughly 15 miles north of downtown but with a trailer it will cost you about $25. You don’t stop for tolls, they bill your license plate. You can also bypass it by taking I-270 but that road is slow all day long. If you’re coming from the northeast on I76 headed to westbound I-70 you don’t have to get on 25 at all, just stay on 76 all the way through Denver. Just speaking generally traffic is miserable all through Denver all day long on all interstates so unless you need to stop in Denver the $25 to avoid it on 470 is worth it, either that or come through late at night.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok everybody. Thanks for the input. We drove from Kansas City to gunnison Colorado today.
    I-70 hasn’t changed much. Some really bad stretches starting at the Ks state line alternating with some ok stretches. Overall not very good. We got off I-70 at Limon and us24 is not much better. I hate to say this, because I love Colorado, but their roads are terrible.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the timely updates. Just changed my return route from I-70 to to Scottsbluff and North Platte picking up I-70 again in Topeka though last trip out as I recall, I-70 through Missouri was not smooth either - spent a good deal of time in the left lane following trucks.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Mike and all others......my bad ! I was referencing I-76 from just outside of Denver to the NE border. I-70 east of Denver, I have not driven for decades and have no knowledge of it.

Thanks, all for jumping in to clarify.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, just came back from Colorado to KC last week. I-70 in eastern Colorado is still rough.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
    Has anyone traveled this road lately? Last time I drove from KC to Denver I-70 was really rough in eastern Colorado.

I live in Kansas. When I tow in eastern Colorado between Limon and Burlington, I drive a few miles north to US 36, 2 lane black top but very smooth road.

added: Actually, US36 goes all the way to Byers, CO, so you can drive from Byers to Goodland, KS and avoid I70. I've done this several times. I see quite a few RVs on US36, so I think this is becoming a popular way to avoid I70. It's about 30 miles to Goodland to US36. I70 is so bad I'm concerned the bouncing will shake the cabinets off the walls.

I drove to Minneapolis in May, 2022. I80 is just as bad as eastern Colorado, so you might take that into consideration as well.
    Last edited by toolman.dustin; 07-28-2022 at 07:17 AM.
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12