User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Update On Lawsuit Against Ford 6.7 Diesel for CP4 Fuel Pump?

I did a Google search but did not see any updates related to Ford CP4 fuel pump on 6.7 diesel engine for a good number of months. Does anyone know where the lawsuit stands and if Ford has any new plans to replace CP4 pumps? RAM did step up and that is on another recent post.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latest thing I can find regarding Ford is from October, 2021 - and it's talking about financial remedies for those who have already experienced CP4 failure(s). This is not the type of proactive, blanket replacement that RAM is doing.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford has been using this pump since 2011. They earned a bad reputation for denying warranty on this pump. Admitting they were wrong now, would be incredibly expensive. IMO, they will not do it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is being held tight with litigation - failure rates are just speculative except for the 20 some odd RAM complaints to the NHTSA. Last I read is that court proceedings wouldn't start until 2023 though there are efforts to combine the multiple lawsuits for each manufacturer and they appear to be moving forward. I kind of gave up looking at it when my recall notice came and the pump was replaced.

I am very surprised that RAM performed the recall. If I had to guess, Cummins played a large part as they were named in the lawsuits. What I had not thought of prior to visit to dealership was the number of ambulances and first response vehicles equipped with the CP4 - not a good thing for one of those to fail. And, FYI, the lawsuit for RAMs has been expanded to include late production MY 2018s - that is new as of Feb 2022 - though I don't believe the recall includes them.

So you Ford guys don't feel totally bad, the recall on 2019s has been stymied by FCA not wanting to change the pump and flash the PCM if 4 other recalls had already been performed. So if you kept your 2019 in top shape, prepare for a wait as bricked PCMs appear to be a possibility and FCA is slow-rolling the recall.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Everything is being held tight with litigation - failure rates are just speculative except for the 20 some odd RAM complaints to the NHTSA. Last I read is that court proceedings wouldn't start until 2023 though there are efforts to combine the multiple lawsuits for each manufacturer and they appear to be moving forward. I kind of gave up looking at it when my recall notice came and the pump was replaced.

I am very surprised that RAM performed the recall. If I had to guess, Cummins played a large part as they were named in the lawsuits. What I had not thought of prior to visit to dealership was the number of ambulances and first response vehicles equipped with the CP4 - not a good thing for one of those to fail. And, FYI, the lawsuit for RAMs has been expanded to include late production MY 2018s - that is new as of Feb 2022 - though I don't believe the recall includes them.

So you Ford guys don't feel totally bad, the recall on 2019s has been stymied by FCA not wanting to change the pump and flash the PCM if 4 other recalls had already been performed. So if you kept your 2019 in top shape, prepare for a wait as bricked PCMs appear to be a possibility and FCA is slow-rolling the recall.
    On my 2019 RAM 3500 the dealer "ordered' the parts back in early May and said about 2 weeks. Nothing yet either and I have had all of my recalls done. At this point it really doesn't matter to me. I ordered a 2022 without the CP4 way back in mid Dec and it should be here in the next few weeks. Dealer can deal with the CP4.

Didn't trade in due to the CP4 but dealer gave me an awesome trade in and deal on the new truck that I just couln't refuse for 3 model years newer.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I am sure Cummins pressured RAM for the recall, it did not happen until NHTSA opened an investigation into the pump. RAM had been saying there would be a "service solution" for the pump for well over a year prior to it, saying it would be available by the end of that quarter, than the next..etc. Within two weeks of NHTSA informing the public about the investigation, RAM said they had the solution and would do a recall. Sorry, but RAM was trying to be like FORD on the pumps, problem was/is RAM had(s) a higher failure rate, believed to be around 4-5%, and couldn't string people along like FORD.

No manufacturer wants a forced recall from NHTSA, bad PR.

I have a '19 RAM, and in an effort to reduce the hard shifting of my AISIN tranny, have had all the updates done through the years, now I have to wait to get my pump replaced.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    While I am sure Cummins pressured RAM for the recall, it did not happen until NHTSA opened an investigation into the pump. RAM had been saying there would be a "service solution" for the pump for well over a year prior to it, saying it would be available by the end of that quarter, than the next..etc. Within two weeks of NHTSA informing the public about the investigation, RAM said they had the solution and would do a recall. Sorry, but RAM was trying to be like FORD on the pumps, problem was/is RAM had(s) a higher failure rate, believed to be around 4-5%, and couldn't string people along like FORD.

No manufacturer wants a forced recall from NHTSA, bad PR.

I have a '19 RAM, and in an effort to reduce the hard shifting of my AISIN tranny, have had all the updates done through the years, now I have to wait to get my pump replaced.
    There was a lot of talk on the forums about 9-10 years ago that Ford had a lower failure rate than GM. Back then I was able to get the NHTSA data for both Ford and GM. Fords was indeed much lower than GMs. But a look at how the data was compiled revealed the truth. They only counted warantied failures! Since Ford was denying a lot of them and GM was fixing theirs under warranty, the figures were skewed.
    I wish I still had the data, but that was a few computers ago. The true figures are not available, but my gut tells me they are all very similar rates of failure.

Since Ram undoubtly was aware of that pumps history, I am sure that Bosch assured them that those issues had been fixed, and offered them a really good deal. Since they were not into this pump as far as GM and worse Ford was, it was a much easier decision to dump it when the data showed that the issue was still there.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    There was a lot of talk on the forums about 9-10 years ago that Ford had a lower failure rate than GM. Back then I was able to get the NHTSA data for both Ford and GM. Fords was indeed much lower than GMs. But a look at how the data was compiled revealed the truth. They only counted warantied failures! Since Ford was denying a lot of them and GM was fixing theirs under warranty, the figures were skewed.
    I wish I still had the data, but that was a few computers ago. The true figures are not available, but my gut tells me they are all very similar rates of failure.

Since Ram undoubtly was aware of that pumps history, I am sure that Bosch assured them that those issues had been fixed, and offered them a really good deal. Since they were not into this pump as far as GM and worse Ford was, it was a much easier decision to dump it when the data showed that the issue was still there.
    https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...21-pdf.131311/

The thought was and still is that Ford had fewer failures due to having a lift pump.

As far as CP4 failures go, on the 2020+ CP4 Ford made some changes, that seemed to have lowered the failure rate. I don't see hardly any talk about them failing in the newer Ford. I know that the fuel/water separator is larger on the '20's. Bosch also made some changes for that model year but not sure what.

Even though diesel has enough bio in it for lubricity I will continue to run a diesel fuel additive, for it's lubricity, cleaning properties and cetane boost.
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trial date is Feb 2023 according to info on the Turbo Diesel Register forum
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...21-pdf.131311/

The thought was and still is that Ford had fewer failures due to having a lift pump.

As far as CP4 failures go, on the 2020+ CP4 Ford made some changes, that seemed to have lowered the failure rate. I don't see hardly any talk about them failing in the newer Ford. I know that the fuel/water separator is larger on the '20's. Bosch also made some changes for that model year but not sure what.

Even though diesel has enough bio in it for lubricity I will continue to run a diesel fuel additive, for it's lubricity, cleaning properties and cetane boost.
    Yes that was what the fanboys on Ford forums wanted to believe. They also believed that Ford would never deny them a warranty claim on it if theirs should fail.... Inspite of many posters stating that it happened to them.
    Even to this day, it was next to impossible to find someone that said GM denied coverage. Just the opposite. One person who IIRC sometimes posts here, had a failure at over 100K, so the warranty was up. GM paid 50%! IIRC, he traded for a new truck while his was in the shop.

At any rate, lift pump , fuel treatment etc. or not... The fatal flaw is what happens when the CP4 fails. It takes out the entire fuel system. Since all motors will have a fuel pump failure at some point (they don't last forever) that is the BIG issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast