User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I've mentioned before, our previous trailer, and the one before that had a dead simple system. There was a screw-on water hose fitting for the city water, a water fill for the fresh water tank, there was a switch to turn on the pump, and a bypass for the water heater when winterizing. The previous sentence is what the Nautilus system replaces: no valves to turn, no PEX to fail, no multiplicity of hose clamps, check valves, etc. to fail. Now that is easy peasy. As was mentioned: "Nautilus…a complicated solution to a simple problem.".
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been almost a year since I made the OP on this thread, and while my system is still going strong with no leaks, I'm still in the "I'd rather have the old simple system", but it's been interesting to read the various positive and negative opinions on the Nautilus.

I've looked at the schematic for the system, and I really wonder how difficult it would be to convert it to just a simple old style system. Yes, it would require some plumbing but I think it's definitely doable.

I think I could be a fan of the Nautilus if it were made with real quality parts, like brass valves and all PEX hose. I've seen some of the custom rebuilds and they look great. Too bad the factory couldn't go the extra step.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    It's been almost a year since I made the OP on this thread, and while my system is still going strong with no leaks, I'm still in the "I'd rather have the old simple system", but it's been interesting to read the various positive and negative opinions on the Nautilus.

I've looked at the schematic for the system, and I really wonder how difficult it would be to convert it to just a simple old style system. Yes, it would require some plumbing but I think it's definitely doable.

I think I could be a fan of the Nautilus if it were made with real quality parts, like brass valves and all PEX hose. I've seen some of the custom rebuilds and they look great. Too bad the factory couldn't go the extra step.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, and I think the worst part would be adding a gravity fill to the water tank, but it would sure be faster than using the 1/2" PEX tubing.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    As I've mentioned before, our previous trailer, and the one before that had a dead simple system. There was a screw-on water hose fitting for the city water, a water fill for the fresh water tank, there was a switch to turn on the pump, and a bypass for the water heater when winterizing. The previous sentence is what the Nautilus system replaces: no valves to turn, no PEX to fail, no multiplicity of hose clamps, check valves, etc. to fail. Now that is easy peasy. As was mentioned: "Nautilus…a complicated solution to a simple problem.".
    How did you pull anti-freeze in to winterize the plumbing and fixtures without pulling the anti-freeze into the fresh water tank? Could you suck anti-freeze or the sanitizing mixture into the system with the pump?
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    How did you pull anti-freeze in to winterize the plumbing and fixtures without pulling the anti-freeze into the fresh water tank? Could you suck anti-freeze or the sanitizing mixture into the system with the pump?
    That was the only inconvenient part, the hose going to the pump for the antifreeze. You had to have a separate hose for the winterizing and attach it to the pump when doing that. I installed a tee at the pump. But I never had any trouble not being able to suck antifreeze out of the jug, as a number of people complain of with the Nautilus system. The main advantage is the sheer simplicity of the system.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I took out the Nautilus system on my 399 when the blue valve stopped working. I made a new manifold with real valves and was still able to easily winterize, dry camp, use city water and I didnt need to depressurize the line when changing settings. It was much better than the Nautilus system.
    Any pics and how to's by chance. Seriously considering a manifold but not sure the steps and parts. I did rebuild my system with all pex about 4 years ago.....so I have tools and just need a little direction.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Any pics and how to's by chance. Seriously considering a manifold but not sure the steps and parts. I did rebuild my system with all pex about 4 years ago.....so I have tools and just need a little direction.
    If you do a search on the forum for 'good bye Nautilus'you should find the thread i started when I did this, it was around 2019. Make sure to put the space between good and bye, I didn't realize the error until I posted the thread.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    If you do a search on the forum for 'good bye Nautilus'you should find the thread i started when I did this, it was around 2019. Make sure to put the space between good and bye, I didn't realize the error until I posted the thread.
    Thanks. Will look.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789