User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the Nautilus system?

The most recent plumbing thread mentions taking the old simple plumbing system and complicating it with the Nautilus system. I've often wondered why has this been done by GD and other manufacturers?

There are so many "bling" items put on trailers today that are cool but seem to generate so many problems, the Nautilus panel being one of these.

We never had too deal with all the valves, faulty PEX to braided hose connections, and the dreaded "where does that line go to" problems.

Given a choice would you trade your Nautilus system for the old, conventional water system?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a Chance in Hades.

Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    The most recent plumbing thread mentions taking the old simple plumbing system and complicating it with the Nautilus system. I've often wondered why has this been done by GD and other manufacturers?

There are so many "bling" items put on trailers today that are cool but seem to generate so many problems, the Nautilus panel being one of these.

We never had too deal with all the valves, faulty PEX to braided hose connections, and the dreaded "where does that line go to" problems.

Given a choice would you trade your Nautilus system for the old, conventional water system?
    No way. I have had the old fashioned, non manifold systems on 2 RV's. Messing around with disconnecting this and connecting that and adding this was a pain in the arse. The Nautilus system is FAR superior to anything I had in the past.
    Last edited by The_Lovells; 07-24-2022 at 01:57 PM. Reason: edited potentially offensive language (potentially). Moderators are hoping we're not being overly sensitive.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't see the need for it myself, just needless complexity. Our last trailer had fresh water fill port, a pump, water heater, outside faucet, two sinks, a shower, and a commode, and there was never an issue. If you wanted to use the fresh water tank, you turned on the pump and disconnected the city water. Easy peasy. Had water heater bypass for winterization, just hook up the anti-freeze jug to the water pump, turn on the pump and run it through the lines. It, literally, could hardly have been easier. Personally the Nautilus system is a total PIA. An unnecessary PIA. Of course this is JMO.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post

I have learned to use the Nautilus system and it works just fine. Filling the fresh water tank is slow and if you don’t have a water connection, filling from a bucket or jugs is a pain. My concern is having problems with the valves in the middle of nowhere. I also don’t like the connections inside the storage area where water can do a lot of damage if you have a leak. I vote for no Nautilus but it is what it is.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Imagine doesn’t have the nautilus system but I would change it for anything to have it outside on the body like my good ole Jayco was instead of taking up all that space in the front storage
    I have no idea who thought that putting the water connections and outdoor shower inside a sealed compartment was a good idea
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I have no idea who thought that putting the water connections and outdoor shower inside a sealed compartment was a good idea"

Someone who has never used what he sells?
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting comments. Among the disadvantages, for me it's winterizing. Living in Texas where we just don't have that much freezing temps, I could winterize by just blowing out the lines. Never had an issue, no anti-freeze ever used.

Now I've got a bunch of places where I have no idea if I'm getting all the water out of or not. Having to use anti-freeze is not a big deal, and I sure don't want to have to start replacing busted valves in the Nautilus panel.

I look at all the ways the manufacturers cut corners to save a nickle and wonder why they decided to use the Nautilus. Maybe the installation procedure saves time on the production line, but I sure can't see it.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is that customers demand drives these kinds of things. That's usually a driver of all the features manufacturers install. First one manufacture does something and customers are drawn to it and pretty soon other manufacturers need to include those "features" just to stay competitive.

Of course, some ideas are dumber than others.

I'm OK with the Nautilus. Im not OK with the wholesale change to electron panels and accouterments just to turn on lights, extend awnings, level rigs, etc (think One Control and the like).

Now solar is the "thing". Everyone seems to have to include it - whether you need it or not.

When you purchase and RV YOU make all the decisions about which model/manufacturer YOU want. In most cases, if not all, it is just a compromise on what you want vs. what if forced on you.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    My guess is that customers demand drives these kinds of things. That's usually a driver of all the features manufacturers install. First one manufacture does something and customers are drawn to it and pretty soon other manufacturers need to include those "features" just to stay competitive.

Of course, some ideas are dumber than others.

I'm OK with the Nautilus. Im not OK with the wholesale change to electron panels and accouterments just to turn on lights, extend awnings, level rigs, etc (think One Control and the like).

Now solar is the "thing". Everyone seems to have to include it - whether you need it or not.

When you purchase and RV YOU make all the decisions about which model/manufacturer YOU want. In most cases, if not all, it is just a compromise on what you want vs. what if forced on you.
    Very true. I can see when the change is to make things simpler and easier, but the Nautilus seems to be an answer to an unasked question. And don't get me started on the electronics, mostly unneeded and unnecessarily complicated. Why do they assume that I want this particular group of lights on and not give me the option of turning on the lights I want, without having to open 3 screens and scroll down to the necessary touch point. Silly, just plain silly.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure "simpler and easier" can be used in the same sentence when it comes to RV's. It's definitely easier when I push one button to auto-level my trailer, and another button to let my awning out. But I don't remember reading in the forums 15 years ago about folks ever having any issues with their manual stabilizer jacks or not getting the awning to crank out, etc, etc.

I don't want to wave the "good old days" flag because I do enjoy the features on my Reflection, and I have a pretty good handle on working on the stuff, but there is just a lot more things to break on these newer rigs.

No doubt customer demand drives most of the new stuff, and if manufacturers don't go along, the customer goes somewhere else. I just have this feeling that a lot of the customers are first time RV'ers and are dazzled by a lot of stuff that's going to eventually give them a problem.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast