User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    It is a water,sanitation and winterizing panel on reflection and solitude trailers. Series of valves

Imagines don’t have it
    Thanks. I'm sure our old Montana 3791RD had that Nautilus but I don't recall it being called that. I thought it was simple, operated well but behind the panel was a maze of condefluted piping. Agree that whoever thought this up should roll down the hill inside the portacan!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	behind-valves-web.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	42043
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP, I've had no issues with the 2016 Reflection and think the Nautilus system is great. To the dude that didn't think he couldn't understand how to winterize his system by blowing out the lines. Well bud, figure it out, it isn't that hard. I live in upstate NY and the only way I winterize is by blowing out my lines and adding a bit of antifreeze to the traps. Never had an issue. The convenience of the Nautilus system when getting ready to dry camp or dump and clean the black tank is great.
    Dan & Wendy, Greene,NY and Naples, NY
    2022 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Gas with 5th wheel puck system, Demco 18K Autoslide
    2011 Silverado 2500HD, 3.73 => 4.10
    2016 Reflection 29RS, Morryde CRE3000, Wet bolt kit & XFactor Crossmembers

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have already had some leaks. I can see that a rebuild with quality components is in my future.... When I do it, the black flusher and waste valves will be relocated away from the fresh water stuff.. That is my bigest gripe. The possibility of cross contamination.... That is my "What were they thinking"? observation.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I can't stand it. Please tell me where, exactly, the convenience comes in.

This is how I winterized with my last 5th wheel with no Nautilus system: I drained the hot water tank, I turned the hot water tank bypass valve, I put the hose from the pump into the gallon jug of anti-freeze, I turn on the pump, I open all the taps one at a time until I get antifreeze through the system, and I pour a little in the gray tank and black tank. Finally make sure the fresh water is drained. I turn ONE valve.

When I need to dry camp, which happens rarely, I fill the fresh water tank through the outside fill, then I turn on the pump inside. No valves to turn.

When I need to dump and clean the black tank, I pull the black tank handle, hook up the hose to the black tank rinse, when done I open the gray tank. Then I close both tanks. No valves to turn.

Now please, how can the Nautilus system be easier than that? I honestly would love an answer. What am I missing? Either way, I promise not to belabor the point on the Nautilus after this post.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a chance! Our first travel trailer (from my parents in the early 80's) ad a 20 gallon tank and a VERY loud diaphragm air pump to pressurize the tank...The lower the water level the longer the pump ran! Can you imagine that pump kicking on in the middle of the night? The sudden very LOUD pump made people pee their beds!

Having had two other RV's after that one we have learned a thing or two. Having the Nautilus is so awesome. As far as I can dry-camp using the pump, connect to city water, power fill the water tank, and suck antifreeze from a jug into the water lines to fill them with said antifreeze. I can tell after having our Solitude since early 2017 is that the color-coded valves cover about any scenario except being able to connect to city water WITHOUT water going into the hot water tank. The only other thing we cannot do is fill the tank by pouring it in.

I made a modification where the black tank flush inlet would have been on a shorter trailer (ours is near the back). I connected a PEX pipe to the back of that unused hose fitting and "tee'd" it into the line that the pump uses to pull water from the fresh water tank. In the 90's I made a wheeled water cart out of a 40 gallon RV water tank and A marine bilge pump. Now, when camping on sites that do not have water hookups I just connect the outlet of the pump to the new inlet I made, open the valve, and plug the pump into the 12 volt accessory connector lighter connector I mounted near the Nautilus.

Since we got our Solitude we have had only one problem...One of the valves turned out to be cross-threaded from the factory and came apart under pressure. After a couple of repair attempts it kept falling apart so I put a large hose clamp around the valve stem cap. It hasn't leaked or failed since. (That valve assembly is at the RV stores but is > $115.00. Hose clamp...$1.98

I shudder to think what we would do if we ever got another RV without the Nautilus... NOTE: Believe the manual when it says DO NOT SWITCH A VALVE WITH OUT FIRST RELEASING ALL WATER PRESSURE!!! It would be very easy to rip one of the O-rings. I'll keep my Nautilus!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    Not a chance! Our first travel trailer (from my parents in the early 80's) ad a 20 gallon tank and a VERY loud diaphragm air pump to pressurize the tank...The lower the water level the longer the pump ran! Can you imagine that pump kicking on in the middle of the night? The sudden very LOUD pump made people pee their beds!

Having had two other RV's after that one we have learned a thing or two. Having the Nautilus is so awesome. As far as I can dry-camp using the pump, connect to city water, power fill the water tank, and suck antifreeze from a jug into the water lines to fill them with said antifreeze. I can tell after having our Solitude since early 2017 is that the color-coded valves cover about any scenario except being able to connect to city water WITHOUT water going into the hot water tank. The only other thing we cannot do is fill the tank by pouring it in.

I made a modification where the black tank flush inlet would have been on a shorter trailer (ours is near the back). I connected a PEX pipe to the back of that unused hose fitting and "tee'd" it into the line that the pump uses to pull water from the fresh water tank. In the 90's I made a wheeled water cart out of a 40 gallon RV water tank and A marine bilge pump. Now, when camping on sites that do not have water hookups I just connect the outlet of the pump to the new inlet I made, open the valve, and plug the pump into the 12 volt accessory connector lighter connector I mounted near the Nautilus.

Since we got our Solitude we have had only one problem...One of the valves turned out to be cross-threaded from the factory and came apart under pressure. After a couple of repair attempts it kept falling apart so I put a large hose clamp around the valve stem cap. It hasn't leaked or failed since. (That valve assembly is at the RV stores but is > $115.00. Hose clamp...$1.98

I shudder to think what we would do if we ever got another RV without the Nautilus... NOTE: Believe the manual when it says DO NOT SWITCH A VALVE WITH OUT FIRST RELEASING ALL WATER PRESSURE!!! It would be very easy to rip one of the O-rings. I'll keep my Nautilus!
    Now I know I never want a Nautilus system
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we have a nautilus panel. Because of the cheap quality valves and connectors on it, I regularly check it for leaks. Maybe I should get one of those bluetooth water detectors? Same for the soft hose connections in behind - check for leaks.
    Mainly generated by "don't operate the water valves with water pressure" warning in the manual, I'm kind of thinking a valve might break every time I operate one.
    BUT, it has operated as designed without issue since we bought the trailer. So it's fine. Other campers see it and go "oooh- cool". lol. I miss the gravity fill of my old trailers though.
    If there was an option choice to be made between a nautilus panel with it's 5 valve panel or an 'old school' setup with just a heater bypass valve, I'd choose old school. Can't see that the nautilus brings any convenience or reliability to the table. Well, I guess the water heater bypass valve is in a better spot. Never had one in as bad a location as sparky though.

Edit...these can be blown out with air just fine. It's in the nautilus manual.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 07-31-2022 at 05:34 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Okay, I can't stand it. Please tell me where, exactly, the convenience comes in.

This is how I winterized with my last 5th wheel with no Nautilus system: I drained the hot water tank, I turned the hot water tank bypass valve, I put the hose from the pump into the gallon jug of anti-freeze, I turn on the pump, I open all the taps one at a time until I get antifreeze through the system, and I pour a little in the gray tank and black tank. Finally make sure the fresh water is drained. I turn ONE valve.

When I need to dry camp, which happens rarely, I fill the fresh water tank through the outside fill, then I turn on the pump inside. No valves to turn.

When I need to dump and clean the black tank, I pull the black tank handle, hook up the hose to the black tank rinse, when done I open the gray tank. Then I close both tanks. No valves to turn.

Now please, how can the Nautilus system be easier than that? I honestly would love an answer. What am I missing? Either way, I promise not to belabor the point on the Nautilus after this post.
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner The old way was way better than the Nautilus system.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the Nautilus system?

I have the Nautilus, and it is different. Not harder or easier in my book, just different, and I think if they were not so cheaply built, would do much better. We have not had any problems in the 2 1/2 years, but we are by no means full time either. It works so far for us, so until it doesn’t, I will leave it and just watch it like a hawk.

I will say this, there is a simplicity that is there without the Nautilus, so I totally get that perspective, just as easy and one less thing to worry about breaking.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I have the Nautilus, and it is different. Not harder or easier in my book, just different, and I think if they were not so cheaply built, would do much better. We have not had any problems in the 2 1/2 years, but we are by no means full time either. It works so far for us, so until it doesn’t, I will leave it and just watch it like a hawk.

I will say this, there is a simplicity that is there without the Nautilus, so I totally get that perspective, just as easy and one less thing to worry about breaking.

Bill
    Our story is similar. The complexity of the hoses represents the thinking required to do it manually. Not really hard but not easy.

I've found that dripping soft hose connections can be secured with a hose clamp. No biggie, but I see the attraction of rebuilding.

The "power fill" setting works like a fill tube, just not as well. Too bad it isn't 1" pipe.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast