User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truck with enough payload to pull a Reflection 278bh

I have been window shopping for a few months and have changed my mind a dozen times on what TT to get. So now I am looking at this 278bh and have been researching trucks to get so I don’t exceed my payload. My requirements are crew cab 6.75 bed 4x4 so I originally thought an F250 would be fine only to find out that the payload is only about 2400 lb’s., in this configuration even with adding the max tow package. I would have 4 people with a total of 865 lb’s., so this coupled with the tongue weight of around 1334 dry + full tanks and battery etc., makes this over it’s payload capacity? Do I need an F350? How can they advertise F150’s pulling this line of TT’s.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F150s can have payloads as much as 3300lbs. F250s have payloads reduced for paperwork reasons.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
    I have been window shopping for a few months and have changed my mind a dozen times on what TT to get. So now I am looking at this 278bh and have been researching trucks to get so I don’t exceed my payload. My requirements are crew cab 6.75 bed 4x4 so I originally thought an F250 would be fine only to find out that the payload is only about 2400 lb’s., in this configuration even with adding the max tow package. I would have 4 people with a total of 865 lb’s., so this coupled with the tongue weight of around 1334 dry + full tanks and battery etc., makes this over it’s payload capacity? Do I need an F350? How can they advertise F150’s pulling this line of TT’s.
    You really would have to look at the yellow sticker inside the driver's door to get really accurate capacity numbers.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    F150s can have payloads as much as 3300lbs. F250s have payloads reduced for paperwork reasons.
    Not following?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Not true, the F350 and F450 MIGHT be derated. The F250 usually is not.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    You really would have to look at the yellow sticker inside the driver's door to get really accurate capacity numbers.
    My fear is not knowing until then since it would be ordered.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fear is not knowing until then since it would be ordered.
    Well, a few points to consider.

Diesel reduces the CCC more than gas. The heavier motor accounts for that.

4x4 reduces the CCC by somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 lbs.

The higher the trim package, the lower the CCC, and that amount varies.

Crew cabs have lower CCC than extended cabs, she extend cage have lower CCC than regular cabs.

You can order the truck, and if the CCC doesn't meet what you need, you don't have to actually buy it, regardless of what the dealer tells you.

I have a 2019 crew cab, 4x4, Lariat, long bed, F350. My CCC is 3273 lbs.

With my 5ver and truck fully loaded, we are about 50-100 lbs over my CCC. That's a number I'm willing to live with. I did add Sumo Sorings to both the trailer and the truck to help with handling a little bit.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Well, a few points to consider.

Diesel reduces the CCC more than gas. The heavier motor accounts for that.

4x4 reduces the CCC by somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 lbs.

The higher the trim package, the lower the CCC, and that amount varies.

Crew cabs have lower CCC than extended cabs, she extend cage have lower CCC than regular cabs.

You can order the truck, and if the CCC doesn't meet what you need, you don't have to actually buy it, regardless of what the dealer tells you.

I have a 2019 crew cab, 4x4, Lariat, long bed, F350. My CCC is 3273 lbs.

With my 5ver and truck fully loaded, we are about 50-100 lbs over my CCC. That's a number I'm willing to live with. I did add Sumo Sorings to both the trailer and the truck to help with handling a little bit.
    Thank you! Very much appreciated.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! Very much appreciated.
    It's really a good idea to look at several 3/4 ton trucks and look at the sticker. It will give you an idea, with the options on that truck, what the CCC could be. It's different between brands as well.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MoonShadow_1911 gave u a great rundown. Not sure of the weight of that model Reflection, but if it’s approaching 10k lbs, personally I’d avoid a gas. It really depends if you will be pulling on flatlands, or hills, or thru the mountains. You will probably end up disappointed with a gas if you drive anything but flatlands. FWIW, my F450 hasn’t come in yet, and we took our 2500HD CCSB 4x4 6.0 gas (which has a pretty high payload actually since it’s a gas) and 310GK to the Badlands and Black Hills of South Dakota. I’ll never do that again!

You will never be disappointed with more truck than you need.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast