User Tag List

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic DM2882 has assumed room temperature.

Our fridge has gone Tango Uniform. Started yesterday and after running tests and measurements that were all good (gas, 120V and 12V) she won’t restart. Control board outside is doing its thing. Fuses are all good. Reset button on the burner is ok, burner has a pretty blue flame. The tubing from the heater is hot but the first vessel is only warm and it does not seem to be cycling gas. No ammonia leak.

Now the warranty question? Dometic or Grand Design? I cannot get to our dealership. I cannot get to a service center. I am in the midst of a multi month trip. Glad to hear ideas or tips.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd definitely contact both Dometic and GD for the warranty work. Hard to know which one will respond sooner. Sorry to hear that the frig quit in the middle of your trip, hope you find a solution soon.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Our fridge has gone Tango Uniform. Started yesterday and after running tests and measurements that were all good (gas, 120V and 12V) she won’t restart. Control board outside is doing its thing. Fuses are all good. Reset button on the burner is ok, burner has a pretty blue flame. The tubing from the heater is hot but the first vessel is only warm and it does not seem to be cycling gas. No ammonia leak.

Now the warranty question? Dometic or Grand Design? I cannot get to our dealership. I cannot get to a service center. I am in the midst of a multi month trip. Glad to hear ideas or tips.
    If it were me (and I've been in this situation), it is worth trying to "burp" the fridge. If you Google search, you will see it is a little labor intensive, but definitely saves trips.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine died last September while under warranty. GD told me to call Norcold. Norcold told me to I should not be calling them. They said to call my dealer. 3 months later I got a new cooling unit. Last month the fans on the fridge went out. Fridge is useless. I appealed to GD for help. I’ve had enough. They’ve responded and are working with Norcold to resolve this issue. It’s been a month of back and forth emails and pics. I may just get a mobile tech out and then see if they will reimburse me. I can afford the repair, but I shouldn’t have to pay for it. By the time Norcold approves a repair the season might be over.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    If it were me (and I've been in this situation), it is worth trying to "burp" the fridge. If you Google search, you will see it is a little labor intensive, but definitely saves trips.
    That is a ton of work. Thanks but the warranty should be honored and I’ll take on that challenger. Would hate to burp it, then fail and I am out several hundred dollars in food. So far we have lost all of our dairy and cold veggies plus some condiments and other frozen fruits. Some meat we had to pitch as well as they turned gray in spots. With the cost of groceries it is a nightmare losing so much food.
    Randy and Kris

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Mine died last September while under warranty. GD told me to call Norcold. Norcold told me to I should not be calling them. They said to call my dealer. 3 months later I got a new cooling unit. Last month the fans on the fridge went out. Fridge is useless. I appealed to GD for help. I’ve had enough. They’ve responded and are working with Norcold to resolve this issue. It’s been a month of back and forth emails and pics. I may just get a mobile tech out and then see if they will reimburse me. I can afford the repair, but I shouldn’t have to pay for it. By the time Norcold approves a repair the season might be over.
    Thanks. I feel the same about the mobile tech. Only problem is we are nomads until the 31st when we park at Taos for 11 days.
    Randy and Kris

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updating this story.

So the fridge failed in Bandera TX. All of my efforts to resuscitate were futile. All of my tests proved there was nothing electronically wrong or failed with the fridge. It attempted to boil on 120 as well as propane. But no cooling happened whatsoever.

Dometic contact was very positive. I made them aware that I could not get to the dealership of purchase and a mobile tech was advised by Dometic. Dometic conceded they would cover certain costs associated with a mobile technician. Great deal!

In Bandera I also made contact with the selling dealership in Katy TX and let them know my situation. They were very helpful in getting us an appointment at an affiliated dealership in Albuquerque NM on the 1st. So I am snagging that appointment and will get Dometic on board that I am using a repair facility. I’ll let the ‘professional’ document an analysis’.

So we left Bandera TX and headed to a vineyard Harvest Host in Brownfield TX for a night, then on to Roswell NM where we are situated right now. This stop is planned as we move to Taos NM. (Red Barn RV in Roswell is pretty cool). Then on to Colorado for 2 months.

It is now 7 days since the failure. The Dometic troubleshooting says leave it off. Before leaving Bandera, the Katy TX service dude talked with me for a good bit and he came to the conclusion that it must be a leak of chemicals some how. There were no yellow tell tale signs of ammonia leaking, but it sounded feasible. Since the freezer and fridge are separate plumbing he didn’t see a failure such as a blockage in one pipe or both pipes. I agreed and thanked him for the education.

But he had the same scary thought I had already come to as well. If there was a blockage and we traveled and jostled the fridge, the blockage may free itself and the fridge begins working again.

So last night I did the unthinkable, I restarted the fridge. I forced it on gas where I could see the burner flame working. Went to bed and this morning I have -7 in the freezer and 40 in the fridge. Son of a biscuit!

So I will keep my appointment in Albuquerque and get a documented analysis of the fridge. Then I will contact Dometic and get them on record of documenting this intermittent failure.

I truly love this fridge. It will maintain zero in the freezer and 33 in the fridge, even in the Texas heat.
    Randy and Kris