User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiring in Solar Generator To WFCO Power Center

I have a Bluetti AC200P and plug the trailer into the AC outlet to top off the house battery and run appliances. I think I could use the charge in the Bluetti more efficiently by using the 12V output to charge the battery and run the 12v systems. Has anyone tried doing this? I found a thread on a DIY solar form that sounds like I just need to pick up the Bluetti aviation plug and wire it into the WFCO 12V fuse bus. I am not sure if there is anything else I need to worry about other than letting it run too long and overload the lead acid house battery.

2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 Ford Expedition

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s not going to be very efficient. Lead-acid charging is about 50% efficient. You’d effectively have twice the power available if you run equipment straight from the DC output and forget charging the onboard battery.

Using the AC output to charge the battery is even worse, since you still have the inherent charging inefficiency of the battery plus the inefficiencies of both the inverter and converter. You’d probably be doing well to hit 30% of the power from the Bluetti being stored in the onboard battery.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    That’s not going to be very efficient. Lead-acid charging is about 50% efficient. You’d effectively have twice the power available if you run equipment straight from the DC output and forget charging the onboard battery.

Using the AC output to charge the battery is even worse, since you still have the inherent charging inefficiency of the battery plus the inefficiencies of both the inverter and converter. You’d probably be doing well to hit 30% of the power from the Bluetti being stored in the onboard battery.
    How would you run from the Bluetti and not charge the house battery? Switch the battery disconnect once at camp and turn on the Bluetti? The Bluetti has a 24V internal battery, and leaving its internal step-down convertor and screen on does add some parasitic losses. Probably not as much as charging the lead acid battery.

2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 Ford Expedition

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wsterling View Post
    How would you run from the Bluetti and not charge the house battery? Switch the battery disconnect once at camp and turn on the Bluetti? The Bluetti has a 24V internal battery, and leaving its internal step-down convertor and screen on does add some parasitic losses. Probably not as much as charging the lead acid battery.
    I’d probably look at a marine battery switch like a Perko. Have the connection for the Bluetti as one battery and the onboard battery as the other.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post

I fully agree with this. Your best bet is to just use your Bluetti by running individual items inside your rig. Unless it is a big battery it’s not like to have enough to run stuff like your microwave. I have a 500 watt version and in just use it in the rig while boondocking.

Good Luck
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The unit I have is pretty big, it will provide up to 2000 watts continuously. I plug the RV directly into it and can run the microwave as long as I don’t have any other large draws going like the converter in its bulk stage.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wound up wiring in a battery switch, a quick disconnecting cable using XT60 connectors, and a Bluetti Aviation plug so I can now run the 12V circuits off the Bluetti or lead acid battery.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4713 (1).png 
Views:	16 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	42274
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4715 (1).png 
Views:	14 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	42275

2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 Ford Expedition

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn off the converters breaker.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Turn off the converters breaker.
    Definitely, I think the Bluetti has protection from a 2nd power source being on the line, but I still don't want to waste the energy on running the converter when I flip on the 120V output of the solar generator. I am also concerned about forgetting to turn the converter back on when I am using shore power. It's just another thing to remember, and I will inevitably forget about it from time to time. I'll probably put a label on the battery switch to remind me to flip it back and forth on state changes.

2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 Ford Expedition

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely, I think the Bluetti has protection from a 2nd power source being on the line, but I still don't want to waste the energy on running the converter when I flip on the 120V output of the solar generator. I am also concerned about forgetting to turn the converter back on when I am using shore power. It's just another thing to remember, and I will inevitably forget about it from time to time. I'll probably put a label on the battery switch to remind me to flip it back and forth on state changes.
    I think you’ll be surprised how in tune you are with power use and setup when your power doesn’t just magically come out of the wall. You think about all water, power and waste when you are off-grid, and that doesn’t stop when you have shore power again. Not a bad thing to be aware.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast