User Tag List

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auxiliary fuel tank filtration

Looking for opinions, opposing views, and how-I-do-it views.

Back story: My old truck had a 35 gallon steel auxiliary diesel fuel tank, with a manual fill nozzle with water filter between the nozzle and the tank. I didn't transfer it to the new truck because we don't travel as many miles and didn't really want to use a 7 year old steel tank with the new common rail higher tech pumps. So it turns out the new-to-us truck has a smaller OEM tank, and gets a bit worse fuel mileage, so now I'm looking for a small, 20 gallons or so, auxiliary fuel tank. The new-to-us truck has a solenoid valve already plumbed in to the filler tank and wired to a switch on the dash. So I'm good there.

My search for various opinions and such is, if you have an auxiliary tank plumbed in, how do you filter the fuel going from the tank to the OEM tank? My main concern is water resulting from condensation, since the feed line exits pretty close to the bottom of the tank.

Anyway, that's my quest, and any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Looking for opinions, opposing views, and how-I-do-it views.

Back story: My old truck had a 35 gallon steel auxiliary diesel fuel tank, with a manual fill nozzle with water filter between the nozzle and the tank. I didn't transfer it to the new truck because we don't travel as many miles and didn't really want to use a 7 year old steel tank with the new common rail higher tech pumps. So it turns out the new-to-us truck has a smaller OEM tank, and gets a bit worse fuel mileage, so now I'm looking for a small, 20 gallons or so, auxiliary fuel tank. The new-to-us truck has a solenoid valve already plumbed in to the filler tank and wired to a switch on the dash. So I'm good there.

My search for various opinions and such is, if you have an auxiliary tank plumbed in, how do you filter the fuel going from the tank to the OEM tank? My main concern is water resulting from condensation, since the feed line exits pretty close to the bottom of the tank.

Anyway, that's my quest, and any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
    I would look at a Titan after market tank. No need to transfer fuel, no separate tank to fill, not as big of a worry about water...
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I would look at a Titan after market tank. No need to transfer fuel, no separate tank to fill, not as big of a worry about water...
    Dropped truck off for Titan 55 Gal this afternoon. Couldn't find a 20 gal aux tank other than 'portable' or combo with tool box - smallest I could find with minimum foot print was 40 gal with pump and all relied on factory water separator. I also didn't want that much impact on payload and would have to cut a hole in my tri-fold cover to fill the tank.

I just couldn't pull the cord on an aux tank after going with the Goosebox and ball to keep the bed 'clean', looking at some of the gravity feed issues reported on the RAM forums, or optionally the time to pump 5 gallons into the main tank. RDS offers a 20 gal and a 33 gal aux tank but I think they are gravity feed.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the input, but I've looked at Titan and another OEM replacement tank, and that's just too much work and money to put one in, and waaaaay too much money to have one installed. I can pick up a good auxiliary tank for less than half of the price. The amount of time to refill the OEM tank from the auxiliary tank is pretty much immaterial since you figure to start transferring fuel before you're anywhere near empty. But I do have a concern about the possibility of water in the fuel, which is why I'm searching for possible solutions. So far gravity feed filters seems to be about the only recourse.

I already have a toolbox that came with the truck, which is why I'm looking at the 20 gallon that will fit under the toolbox, mostly anyway. I have a nearly 6,000 lb. payload, so the weight is pretty much of little, to no, concern. Fully loaded, 30 gallons of fuel, great-grandkids and all, in the truck, 5th wheel loaded and hooked up, I'm at a little under 12,000 lbs. for the truck, which has a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. A couple hundred pounds of fuel and tank won't affect the truck too much.

All input is gratefully appreciated.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S