User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Securing Harley Touring bike in a 10' garage

I have always used a wheel chock when trailering bikes. What are people using or not and if using a chock are you securing it through the floor or into a cross member under the floor?

Bob and Janice
    2015 Momentum 380TH
    2015 Ram 3500 CC diesel long box dually
    Harley SE Road Glide Ultra

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I screw e-track across the width of the garage into the floor. I assume that the flooring is at least 3/4 inch (if it isn't, this could be an issue), so used 1 inch screws with hex head (length of thread portion is 3/4 inch). With the e-track, you have many options. I bought a Harbor Freight wheel chock and modified it slightly. First, I put washers on the two bolts that hold the pieces where the front tire rests. Stock units seemed to let the cradles slide slightly left or right and that did not make me feel the bike would remain standing. With the washers, there is no left of right motion. Second, I drilled holes to pass a threaded rod through the chock and then put a clamp on each side of the chock so the rod went through one clamp, the chock, and then the other clamp. Then, I put nuts on both sides of the rod and the chock is securely fastened to the floor. I use tie-downs from the handle bars to the wheel chock, and a second set to the existing anchor points that came with the trailer. I also secure the back of the motorcycle to existing anchor points. Been doing this method for years and have not experienced a problem. Don't have a picture handy, but can do that at some point.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gary. I've twice bolted my chock anchors directly through the wood floor but it was in cargo trailers where there was no need for a flush mount

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beauty of the e-track is that all the mounting stuff and wheel chocks can be quickly removed and stored elsewhere. Added and removed in a matter of seconds. The only thing left is the e-track and if you have a carpet in the cargo area, it doesn't show up that much - just a little bump.
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a chock screwed into the frame using the screws from the front center tie down point of my 380TH. I remove it when the bike is offloaded. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That too sounds good Alan. Guess I'll have to wait till mid July when I take possession of my rig. I won't have my bike with me when I go to get it and I'll have a 1250 mile trip home to figure out what work best for me. Again, thanks for your input

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob,

I've suggested something before to forum members which comes from the racing world and works great. There's a company called Pit-Bull products which makes a trailer restraint system. The system has a plate which mounts to the floor and then latches fasten to the plate with quick release pin locks which can be easily/quickly removed (leaving essentially the plate on the floor). On the bike side there's an arm which uses pins in the rear axle and is captured in the pin locks. See below for a link to the site:

http://www.pit-bull.com/category/restraints_harley.html

The best part about this system, aside from the fact that you can easily get back to almost a flat floor, is that it doesn't put stress on the bike. Traditional chocks etc. usually require you to compress your suspension so the bike doesn't bounce around and it can cause issues (and if you don't crank it down enough then the bike can get loose). With the Pit-Bull trailer restraint system that won't happen. In fact, I've heard of someone who was unfortunately in an accident and the trailer flipped on it's side. When they opened it up all of the bikes (there were 3 in this trailer) were still in the TRS and none of them were touching or changed their position.

I'm not affiliated with Pit-Bull in any way - but this is a great product and they're a great company with exceptional customer service if you ever need it.

I seriously can't recommend them highly enough - do yourself a favor and check them out.
    Mike K
    2014 Momentum 355TH
    2015 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4, 6.7L Duramax Diesel
    B&W Companion Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you MM. The more input I receive, the better I feel about my decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#truefreedom
    Bob, I have a 380TH and haul 2 Street Glides. I use the Condor chocks. I don't have the bolted down, just butted against the lip below the sliding glass doors. I put 4 tie downs on each bike. Haven't had any problems, towed them about 2500 miles total so far. We are full time. The nice thing is we can move them out of the way when the bikes are out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a B&W Biker Bar...

Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 Lariat Ultimate
    2012 HD RoadGlide Ultra
    2015 GD Momentum 350M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast