User Tag List

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing Black Tank Vent Cap with the 360 Siphon RV Vent Cap

This is a mod I've wanted to do for a while. There have been a couple of times we have come back to the RV, opened the door, stepped in, and smelled a slight black tank oder. After much research and physics thought experiments, I landed on the 360 Siphon RV Vent Cap. One of the articles I came across was before Lippert bought the rights to it (and I can't find the article now). This article laid out the science behind the design.

I first used my daughter's hairdryer, since I sold my heat gun in preparation for going full time, to get the lap sealant a little more pliable. At the same time, I carefully used a plastic putty knife to begin rolling the sealant toward the vent (see picture 1). Once I exposed the screws, I removed them and carefully began working the putty knife under the base, again with heat.

I got the old vent cap removed, cleaned up all the leftover sealant, and then cleaned the area with isopropyl alcohol. Once it was dry, I fitted the base of the 360 Siphon RV Vent Cap around the vent pipe trying to center as best as possible. Unfortunately the vent pipe was up against the edge of a 3-in hole in the roof. I assume the 3-in hole was to account for play in the placement of the pipe. I put left sealant down on the roof then I put the vent base and centered it on the vent type. I was able to fit three of the four screws into the roof through the base. Once that was done I used Oatey black PVC glue, which I had on hand, to attach the funnel to the inside of the vent cap. Then I used more PVC glue to adhere the vent cap to the base. Once that was done and set I use the lap sealant around the base and out to the edge to eliminate or minimize the possibility of water getting in underneath it.

All in all it took me about 30 minutes from start to finish to remove the old vent cap and install the new 360 Siphon RV Vent Cap. I'm pleased with the work and we'll see if it holds up to my expectations.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220726_082120.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	42088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220726_082125.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	42089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220726_083332.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	42090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220726_084510.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	42091
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    This is a mod I've wanted to do for a while. There have been a couple of times we have come back to the RV, opened the door, stepped in, and smelled a slight black tank oder. After much research and physics thought experiments, I landed on the 360 Siphon RV Vent Cap. One of the articles I came across was before Lippert bought the rights to it (and I can't find the article now). This article laid out the science behind the design.

I first used my daughter's hairdryer, since I sold my heat gun in preparation for going full time, to get the lap sealant a little more pliable. At the same time, I carefully used a plastic putty knife to begin rolling the sealant toward the vent (see picture 1). Once I exposed the screws, I removed them and carefully began working the putty knife under the base, again with heat.

I got the old vent cap removed, cleaned up all the leftover sealant, and then cleaned the area with isopropyl alcohol. Once it was dry, I fitted the base of the 360 Siphon RV Vent Cap around the vent pipe trying to center as best as possible. Unfortunately the vent pipe was up against the edge of a 3-in hole in the roof. I assume the 3-in hole was to account for play in the placement of the pipe. I put left sealant down on the roof then I put the vent base and centered it on the vent type. I was able to fit three of the four screws into the roof through the base. Once that was done I used Oatey black PVC glue, which I had on hand, to attach the funnel to the inside of the vent cap. Then I used more PVC glue to adhere the vent cap to the base. Once that was done and set I use the lap sealant around the base and out to the edge to eliminate or minimize the possibility of water getting in underneath it.

All in all it took me about 30 minutes from start to finish to remove the old vent cap and install the new 360 Siphon RV Vent Cap. I'm pleased with the work and we'll see if it holds up to my expectations.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220726_082120.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	42088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220726_082125.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	42089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220726_083332.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	42090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220726_084510.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	42091
    Thanks, good write-up. Let us know how it works out.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S