Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vehicle recommendations for Imagine 17MKE

Hi everyone,

We will pick up our 2022 GD Imagine XLS 17MKE next week but are still undecided on a vehicle to pull it with. The dealer says we need capacity for 7,000-8,000 lbs. We would rather not buy a truck since it will double as our primary vehicle. I did find a 2018 Nissan Armada that claims it can pull 8,500 lbs. Do I dare go with a large SUV or is there a comfortable truck option we should look at?

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nice thing about a truck is you can bring additional items in the bed that might be bulky and heavy like outdoor chairs, bbq, coolers, generator, air compressor, tools, etc. I don't see too many travel trailers being towed by SUV's, probably for a reason. Today's trucks are more comfortable imo and you can do more with it than a SUV.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a 2012 F150 XLT I use as my daily. My wife has a 2013 Ford Edge with all the bling. We end up using the truck for going places as a family. It's more comfortable and there is plenty of room. The catch will be if you can find a 1/2 ton at a reasonable price.
    Hobienick

2012 F150 SCREW 3.5 EB, 6.5 Bed, Max Tow
    2022 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towing capacity is not usually the limit that people run up against first - it's payload. Published tongue weights for travel trailers are NEVER what you go by - use 12% of the trailers GVWR for an estimated loaded tongue weight. For the 17MKE this yields 767 lbs. Your tow vehicle would need a maximum cargo capacity sufficient to carry the 767 lbs. plus the weight of a good weight-distributing hitch, you and your family, and anything else you would load in the tow vehicle. Nissan publishes a payload capacity for the Armada ranging from 1,466 to 1,650 lbs. depending on options and trim level. Take the average of those two, 1,558 lbs., and subtract the estimated tongue weight of the 17MKE (767 lbs.). This leaves you with 791 lbs. for the family, hitch, gear, pets, etc. In my opinion, you would be cutting it close.

There's a lot of good reading material on this topic in the forum reference library in this thread:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

I've never seen anyone post that they bought too much tow vehicle; there are many posts by people who didn't get enough TV the first time and lost the depreciation on the first TV and had to spend more money on the second one. Buy the right one first.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTonya View Post
    Hi everyone,

We will pick up our 2022 GD Imagine XLS 17MKE next week but are still undecided on a vehicle to pull it with. The dealer says we need capacity for 7,000-8,000 lbs. We would rather not buy a truck since it will double as our primary vehicle. I did find a 2018 Nissan Armada that claims it can pull 8,500 lbs. Do I dare go with a large SUV or is there a comfortable truck option we should look at?

Thanks for your help!
    A lot depends on where/how you will be towing. You might get by with a larger SUV for occasional short trips. However, most of the time you'll feel safer with a suitable tow vehicle that is made to handle your trailer. Sure the Armada may pull the weight, but how about stopping it or maneuvering on twisty roads?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A large suv is very capable of towing a 17 mke
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, congrats and welcome to the group. I agree with all the suggestions so far. Trucks have come a long way and are often better on gas and as comfortable if not more then SUV. But a large SUV can easily tow the 17mke. Just make sure that it has adequate payload. To be safe, I'd figure 15% of the 17mke GVWR plus anything else you would load in the SUV or truck.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all - this was very helpful. We ditched the Nissan Armada idea and went with a 2017 8 cyl 5.3L Chevy Silverado 1500 TLZ. It rides as nice as our 2015 Avalon if not nicer and has only 51K miles. Here we go!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTonya View Post
    Thanks all - this was very helpful. We ditched the Nissan Armada idea and went with a 2017 8 cyl 5.3L Chevy Silverado 1500 TLZ. It rides as nice as our 2015 Avalon if not nicer and has only 51K miles. Here we go!
    Good choice, from my perspective you'll be happier in the long run with that combo. Hope all your memories are good ones.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S