User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's a good replacement for the stock AC on 2018 2800BH?

Our AC works fine and I've added foam board + reflectix last fall to funnel the air flow directly to the side vents. Works great and we have better, quieter flow.

I want to be prepared with a plan when the day comes to replace my current AC unit. What's a good replacement/upgrade for my 15k btu Dometic? I'd like to increase the power if possible, but I'm still limited to 30a, so maybe it's better not to push it? I'm at the beginning phase my RV AC eduction.

After our 98° weekend, I'm also cutting reflectix to keep for the windows and door frames just so I don't start baking at sunrise. ...won't use reflextix during the day. Already cracked my 350's windshield with a windshield sunshade made of similar material.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murbot View Post
    Our AC works fine and I've added foam board + reflectix last fall to funnel the air flow directly to the side vents. Works great and we have better, quieter flow.

I want to be prepared with a plan when the day comes to replace my current AC unit. What's a good replacement/upgrade for my 15k btu Dometic? I'd like to increase the power if possible, but I'm still limited to 30a, so maybe it's better not to push it? I'm at the beginning phase my RV AC eduction.

After our 98° weekend, I'm also cutting reflectix to keep for the windows and door frames just so I don't start baking at sunrise. ...won't use reflextix during the day. Already cracked my 350's windshield with a windshield sunshade made of similar material.

Sorry I don't have much to offer in the way of future AC, but I'd sure like to hear more about the cracked windshield and your sunshade. We spent a few months in FL over the winter and I was surprised at just how intense the sun is even in winter. I was planning to get a sunshade of some type before we go back, but I don't want to risk cracking the windshield. Any advice you can offer?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Sorry I don't have much to offer in the way of future AC, but I'd sure like to hear more about the cracked windshield and your sunshade. We spent a few months in FL over the winter and I was surprised at just how intense the sun is even in winter. I was planning to get a sunshade of some type before we go back, but I don't want to risk cracking the windshield. Any advice you can offer?
    Hi Riverbug,
    Happy to help. I'm in mid-Maryland and have never seen this happen here before. To be clear, this was not the Reflectix brand, but I suspect they would advise against using their product in my windshield.
    I bought an "AutoTech Zone" Reflectix like foil sunshield for my Ruby red with black interior 2017 F350 in April 2021. It's a darker red, but not black and doesn't really seem to add to the heat. The glass cracked after a couple weeks during a few days of heavy heat. It spidered in 3 tracks stemming from near the driver side of the rear view mirror mount.
    They refunded my money and accepted the return of that shield. I then purchased a Covercraft UVS100 Custom Sunscreen (blue). Really wish I'd gotten the Carhartt tan color version they had. Would look great with my truck. LOL The Covercraft doesn't reflect. It's thick, heavy and annoys my wife a little bit, but it does an outstanding job with the heat and the truck has plenty of space to deal with it.
    You got me thinking about that Carhartt color again.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that. I've saved the Covercraft website in my favs so I can order one once I receive the new truck. Apologies for hijacking your thread. Good luck with getting the answer to your question, and thanks again for answering mine!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murbot View Post

Unfortunately cant help you on a future AC upgrade, but we do like our 2 Colemans Mach Series AC's.

As for a possible alternative to your reflectix usage, we just purchased some blackout/insulated curtains from Kohls with a color we liked and created custom fit replacement curtains for our Reflection 150 295RL.

The thin OEM 2 panel trim pieces (mainly for looks) are just velcroed to the valances above the windows, which we removed and then replaced with our custom full window curtains. It cut the radiant heat down quite a bit (during our last 100 to 105 degree per day stay) while also adding privacy and noise reduction from the poorly insulated OEM glass and shades. Especially in the bedroom where my wife and I like to sleep in, in the mornings. No more 5am daylight shining through the cheapo OEM shades! Might consider going this route....
    Last edited by trailrydr; 07-27-2022 at 06:33 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)