User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad idea. There are a lot of variables affecting the current draw of an AC unit such that you might successfully get two to operate on a cooler day, but on a hotter day two would trip the 30A breaker. Two units will use almost all the 30A power available even in the best circumstances leaving too little current to run everything else. You can create a low voltage situation that can damage the ACs and the refrigerator. Just not worth the risk IMO. Yes an EMS would protect against this, but then your set up would shut down repeatedly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    You need to understand that a 50 amp rig is dual phase power, 240 volt at 50 amp. Your 50 amp breaker box has a dual pull 50 amp breaker. Each leg runs in a straight line away from the center of the box, preventing you from wiring in 240 volt appliances like residential dryers. That’s why 50 amp rigs can run 2 or even 3 ACs.
    Well that's an interesting way to put it. I had to read that three times. LOL My eye is still twitching.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if you have Softstarts on the two you need to run. You will not be able to run 2 ACs on 30amp with them. We have 30amp service at our house and up to now, we've only been able to run 1 AC at at time. I just installed Softstarts on my 2 ACs last weekend & was able to run both off our 30amp service. I also hooked up to a 2500w generator & was able to run 1 AC.
    Stephen & Kerri
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 4X4 Lariat
    Reese Goosebox

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen/Kerri View Post
    Only if you have Softstarts on the two you need to run. You will not be able to run 2 ACs on 30amp with them. We have 30amp service at our house and up to now, we've only been able to run 1 AC at at time. I just installed Softstarts on my 2 ACs last weekend & was able to run both off our 30amp service. I also hooked up to a 2500w generator & was able to run 1 AC.
    Why would you need Softstarts. 30A service will run two air conditioners fairly easily. Simple math and easily demonstrated in the real world. The startup surge isn’t nearly the issue on shore power as it is on a generator.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Why would you need Softstarts. 30A service will run two air conditioners fairly easily. Simple math and easily demonstrated in the real world. The startup surge isn’t nearly the issue on shore power as it is on a generator.
    That's not been our experience. A 30 amp service will not run two ACs.
    Stephen & Kerri
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 4X4 Lariat
    Reese Goosebox

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen/Kerri View Post
    That's not been our experience. A 30 amp service will not run two ACs.
    You have something wrong then. Mine draw 20A running together. I certainly wouldn’t plan for running them while using other things, but for cooling down after setup or for an afternoon nap on a hot day it works.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 14.5 Furrion AC will draw 12-16 amps on a hot day. I can’t speak to other brands.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as long as we all agree....

Grand Design offers and installs 2 A/C's in many 30 amp trailers. Take our Momentum 31G for example. We've run both of our AC units for days on a 30 amp pedestal multiple times. We've also run both for several days continuously on the factory installed Onan 4000 watt generator and now run both on our Predator 3500 since the addition of SoftStartRV modules on both A/C units. The 39 amp trailers are equipped with a very effective energy management system that will turn off high loads when necessary to run other loads on demand. Using the microwave while also using both A/C's for example. Given what I see a current draw on our 15k and 13.5k Coleman Mach's, both would run with a good amount of head room on any 30 amp circuit even without the energy management system.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cstratton73 View Post
    Do not listen to anybody... You can not run 2 A/C's on a 30amp service... PERIOD. They might run for a few minutes, but will always trip the breaker after awhile! Besides with a a/c fridge it's DEFINITELY impossible! Been doing this business for over 40 years along with parents and grandparents and friends so I am 100% positive that you need 50 amp service or just run 1 A/C!!
    Including you Chuck? Yes you can run two in a lot of cases. PERIOD...
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to chance burn8 g out one of those roof AC unit trying to run both on 30 amps then press on

The start up amp draw alone will draw more amperage then a 30 amp service can deliver

Installing two micro air or soft start unit s lowers the initial amount draw for each compressor during start up..

However you still are limited with what you can safely run on 30 amp using an RV that’s built for 50 amps

50 aml service means 100 amps total folks..

That’s 50 amps for L1 and 50 amps for L2 with each roof AC being fed by one lead

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast