User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four months in the making... kitchen mod/upgrade

My wife, a world-class cook, has cooked on and in everything from modern electric cooktops and ovens in the US to gas stoves/ovens in Spain and Central America. We could never get consistent results with any of our RV gas ovens (including the Furrion that came in our Solitude) and she absolutely hated the Furrion gas cooktop (let me count the reasons...). So, in late March - the week before we were to leave on a 3,650 mile spring trip - I was ordered to remove and sell the Furrion cooktop and oven and re-birth the kitchen to the chef's liking. I said, "OK, what are you going to cook on in the meantime?" We already used the convection oven and an Instant Pot for a lot of things, anyway, so she said she would just use the portable induction cooktop we have until the kitchen makeover is completed.

The first step was to find an induction cooktop that would drop into the cutout for the Furrion. Laura said she would be happy with a single "burner" induction unit; I didn't want to be completely without the ability to heat something up if we were off-grid. The compromise was this:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/True-...-p/TI-1-1B.htm (The price has gone up since I ordered ours... as has the price for most everything.)

The cooktop was ordered and shipped to the kids' house in Maryland to be waiting for us when we got here. In the meantime, I cut a piece of 3/8" cabinet ply and covered it with vinyl to cover the hole where the Furrion cooktop came out and to support the portable induction unit temporarily.

Fortunately, there was one double breaker space available on one leg of our main power panel, so the hard part was pulling 12-3 rubber jacketed SuperFlex through the basement, getting it out an existing hole in the street side frame rail, running it with the other bundles to the slide with extra protection, and bringing it up through the slide floor in the appropriate place. My back didn't forgive me for several days after that job. When that was done, it was just a matter of installing an outlet under the cooktop and securing everything.

The final step was to turn the space where the oven was into storage space. I put one shelf across closer to the top than the bottom (light stuff like Zip-Loc bags, a microwave steamer, etc., on top and some heavier stuff on the bottom). It took me a number of calls to find a true custom cabinet maker, but I finally found one about 45 minutes away up in PA who could make doors to match the others in the kitchen. (I know what you're thinking. No - not an Amish business but Mennonite.) I had found (someone else did the hard work) the best stain match several years ago, so it just took me a few minutes on each of three mornings to finish the doors. The cabinet shop had matched the hinges and had already milled the holes for them. I found matching handles on Amazon. Here are a couple of photos of the finished kitchen:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220727_2263 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	42155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220727_2264 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	42156

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 08-04-2022 at 05:31 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! I've been wondering when this thread would pop up, I remember you talking about it when selling your old range. Did you have to get a new counter, it looks seamless?
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, you did good, that looks like a professional install....but the important thing is that she is happy. The old adage....SWMBO is strong on this project!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Looks great! I've been wondering when this thread would pop up, I remember you talking about it when selling your old range. Did you have to get a new counter, it looks seamless?
    No - the new cooktop was plug-and-play (no pun intended). The only thing I had to do was glue up a little support strip to go across the back under the cooktop for support. That area had the exhaust vent with louvres for the Furrion oven. The stainless steel on the new cooktop just covers that area but needed some support underneath.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome job, it looks great and confirms my dis-like for a furrion cooktop we never had
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great, Rob. Congrats! I know what you mean by your back letting you know about it for a couple days.��

Herve
    Herve & Chris Mann
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat 4X4 CC SRW 6.7 Antimatter Blue
    2021 Reflection 303RLS with Reese Goosebox
    Shadow, Fizzgig and Cookie, our cats (Pouncival RIP)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job, Rob! You are on your way to truly making that coach your own!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s impressive!
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks awesome Rob!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job with a very professional look. One thing we miss very much in our house is gas stove - electric is just terrible so I'll be interested in how the induction works for you and yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast