User Tag List

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator s and AC facts you need to know

I read many threads on how small a generator one can get by with for powering ACs.
    But I never see these facts mentioned.

1. AC power requirements increase as the temperture rises
    2.Generator output decreases as the temperture rises
    3.Generator output decreases as you go up in altitude.

Obviously in keeping with these facts, it means that just because your marginal generator ran your AC fine in your driveway at 500' elevation with 80 degree temps doesn't mean it will work at 4000' and 100 degrees.
    It also means that just because someone on a forum posted about his generator/AC combination working fine doesn't mean it will work for you.

So if AC is important to you... Make sure you factor these facts into your generator choice.
    Over the years, I have been to several Dog Field Trial competitions that got hotter than expected and witnessed a lot of people upset when they could not run their AC when it really counted.
    They always said the same thing. "It worked great when I tried it at home"

How much power do you need? All I can tell you is with my 4.0 Onan Microquiet, I always had AC when I wanted it. Often I was the only one at the trial that had it.
    Last edited by huntindog; 07-27-2022 at 08:48 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I read many threads on how small a generator one can get by with for powering ACs.

Obviously in keeping with these facts, it means that just because your marginal generator ran your AC fine in your driveway at 500' elevation with 80 degree temps doesn't mean it will work at 4000' and 100 degrees.
    It also means that just because someone on a forum posted about his generator/AC combination working fine doesn't mean it will work for you.

So if AC is important to you... Make sure you factor these facts into your generator choice.
    Over the years, I have been to several Dog Field Trial competitions that got hotter than expected and witnessed a lot of people upset when they could not run their AC when it really counted.

How much power do you need? All I can tell you is with my 4.0 Onan Microquiet, I always had AC when I wanted it. Often I was the only one at the trial that had it.
    Really good information. Fortunately for me I rarely camp at over 1,000 feet and temps in the 90s are high in the Northeast. So far my genny hasn't failed me (famous last words).
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

Another lesson I just learned is the rating on the gen set is peak not continuous.I have two AC's on the new outfit & never had an opportunity to try it out before needed.

The dealer said this fancy new 4500w quiet Onan would run both AC unit's. After spending a couple of hours in the blistering heat trying different start up procedures.I grabbed the manual for the gen set & discovered this would never work.

Even if I added soft starts the continuous rating will be nearly max'd & the poor gen would running it's single cylinder heart out.

When I called the dealer I was told it will work
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW