Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof replacement needed?

Hi gang,

Been out twice so far with the new camper and just found a bad tear. I suspect it's been like this for a month or so. Of course it's been unusually wet for Colorado. More rain tomorrow. I don't remember hitting anything but it must have been a branch by looking at it. I'm very careful and through but this time Murphy won.

I'll have to patch it quickly but suspect it'll need a new roof. Do you fine folks concur on the new roof or do you think it's "fixable"?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3988.JPG   IMG_3982.JPG   IMG_3984.JPG   IMG_3995.JPG   IMG_3980.JPG  

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, tough call on that. There's a lot of individual places to repair, although many of them are small. Honestly, I'd have to see it in person to decide what I would do. But considering the cost of a new roof, I'd be thinking long and hard about what to do. I'd probably be leaning toward new roof, but hooboy, they are not cheap.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof replacement needed?

I agree with Hoopy, but I would try real hard to do some repairs first, see how they hold up over time, and if needed, go for the roof. I think with the cost involved, I would try to fix first, worst case, new roof, but at least you tried!

That’s my story and I’m stikin to it. [emoji16]

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a 50 foot roll of 4 inch eternabond in my storage just in case that happens

I would I would get a roll and use that. Stuff works amazing
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agreed on the Eternabond. Fix all the sealant with the proper stuff, glue down the membrane again with the proper glue and seal the crap out of it. As long as the membrane is glued down you should be good, do not fix it and let it flap around. The long scrape should be fine is patched properly, lap sealant after and then can use eternabond to protect the lap sealant. There are a couple of YouTube videos where people have eternabonded all the edges of a roof and it lasted years (and is still going).

Of course you could just put a fake “vent cover” over the large hole. Pick whatever you want, fan vent, fridge vent, solar panel pass through, etc. Screw it down properly and then lap seal it like all the other factory cut holes in the roof. Heck even a plastic/aluminum patch panel screwed into the roof and then properly sealed like all the other roof mounted items would work (but not look too pretty).

The key is to make darn sure any edges are sealed so no air gets under that membrane and starts to pull it away from the roof!

(and make sure water damage underneath is minimal).

—-

I’m actually really surprised some plastic extrusion place has not make a solution to replace roofs on RVs yet, lay it over in full large sections from back to front like huge shingles and screw it down. Seal edges with lap sealant and eternabond. If a section gets damaged, just replace. Would be much tougher against branches. These rubber roofs are fast, cheap and light but very weak.
    Last edited by Thorvald; 07-28-2022 at 05:22 AM.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roof looks dry under that big tear. I'd keep the pictures you took for record of it, and use Eternabond as NB Canada recommended, it really is good stuff. Keep in mind, once you put it down, it's not coming up, make sure to plan it out first. Make sure to clean the surrounding area first to ensure a good surface for adhesion.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is one of those videos:

https://youtu.be/f4YXYYWWtbA

Also eternabond can be removed, it’s just very time consuming. Here is a video from the manufacturer:

Don’t skimp on the roller, buy the expensive eternabond roller… it makes a huge difference. You do NOT want that tape coming up and letting water/air under it!

Forgot to mention be careful with Amazon, there are a lot of unscrupulous sellers that show a picture of Eternabond but when you look at the brand it’s some other weird Chinese brand. You can usually tell by the roller they include is not the one made by the manufacturer.
    Last edited by Thorvald; 07-28-2022 at 05:32 AM.
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    Here is one of those videos:

https://youtu.be/f4YXYYWWtbA

Also eternabond can be removed, it’s just very time consuming. Here is a video from the manufacturer:

Don’t skimp on the roller, buy the expensive eternabond roller… it makes a huge difference. You do NOT want that tape coming up and letting water/air under it!
    You're right, it does come up, but it can be on the difficult side. Good call on the roller, forgot to mention that. I keep a small roller in my camping toolbox along with the Eternabond.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like my idea is late to the party, PVC roofs are a thing and they put it on in sections like I thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrduWPsNVik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OqgFxISXeo

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't insurance cover that roof repair/replacement?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast