Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    Back to the OP’s problem.
    If you want to repair it yourself.
    You most likely have a Alpha Systems TPO roof. The Lippert website sells Alpha Systems tapes and glues and the Alpha company website has information on repairs.

https://store.lci1.com/catalogsearch..._list_limit=36

https://alphallc.us/wp-content/uploads/Hole-Patch.pdf
    https://alphallc.us/products/roofing/

The Alpha web site has info on ordering products.

Note that both Alpha and Eternabond have cleaners and primers available.

If you need temporary waterproof repair use 3-6mill sheet plastic, new heavy trash bag, and black Gorilla tape. I would not put the tape directly on the torn areas since removing the tape may increase the size of your holes. Cut the plastic larger than the holes and tape around the edge of the plastic.

There are two ways to repair the roof. Use Eternabond or alpha tape and seal it up or use patching material and glue a patch on. The large hole with square edges looks like it is missing material so you might want to consider a patch. Talk to Alpha systems, I have heard they have customer support that will talk to end users. Before you apply tape or patch make sure everything is clean and old sealer removed. Good luck, looks like a bunch of work.
    Thank you for the links and information. Very helpful. I've looked at the products and only find 8019 Water Based Bonding Adhesive (1 Gallon) that appears to be glue. I don't need a gallon (yet). Is there something you know of that I could use for a small patch? I have a 1 inch cut on the roof approximately an inch above the gutter. I was thinking I need to glue it down then use Eternabond and sealant to cover it? Thanks again, J

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHH4198 View Post
    Thank you for the links and information. Very helpful. I've looked at the products and only find 8019 Water Based Bonding Adhesive (1 Gallon) that appears to be glue. I don't need a gallon (yet). Is there something you know of that I could use for a small patch? I have a 1 inch cut on the roof approximately an inch above the gutter. I was thinking I need to glue it down then use Eternabond and sealant to cover it? Thanks again, J
    Sounds like a plan. If the cut is on the radius from roof to gutter make sure the Eternabond adheres well by applying pressure to the Eternabond to promoter better adhesion. Make sure area is clean before patching. The Alpha sealant comes in self leveling and not self leveling. Only use self leveling on flat surfaces. Round corners on Eternabond patch. I patched a small hole in my roof last year using Eternabond tape and sealer and it still looks good.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    Sounds like a plan. If the cut is on the radius from roof to gutter make sure the Eternabond adheres well by applying pressure to the Eternabond to promoter better adhesion. Make sure area is clean before patching. The Alpha sealant comes in self leveling and not self leveling. Only use self leveling on flat surfaces. Round corners on Eternabond patch. I patched a small hole in my roof last year using Eternabond tape and sealer and it still looks good.
    Thanks again for your help.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRoad View Post
    I talked to Ins but will need to wait on the adjuster. If it's a repair then it's probably not worth doing the claim with $1000 deductible but if it's needs a replacement then it would be to me. If I don't do the claim I'll ask about any affect on premiums from just reporting it.

One benefit of the claim would be if there's any water penetration/damage it should be covered too. I didn't see anything but don't know for sure yet.

Anyone want to buy a lightly used trailer?
    I had 5 little holes punched in my roof that were not as big as the ones in your first picture in the original post. Even with the rv under a carport, there had been enough water that got inside the roof membrane that I ended up with a soft spot in the roof. I walked on that spot right after Memorial Day and then stored the rv under the carport and the next time I was on the roof was Labor Day weekend and almost stepped through the roof because that spot was so soft. Ended up with insurance company sending me a check for over $11k to have the roof replaced. I am now looking into going with a RvFlexArmor roof. It will take a lot of time on any premium increases to add up to the $11k. That's why we have the insurance, right?
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, there's been some activity so thought I'd post an update.

One drawback with RV Armor is application is weather dependent and in my case I just missed out in 10/22 as the weather turned. So, patched everything up and waited for spring 2023 which just so happened to be one of the wettest in the Denver area. So, finally got the installation done in July 2023, and was excited to see it go up.

It was a little sloppier than I expected but looked solid. October came and I was winterizing the the trailer and noticed some cracks along the driver side gutter edge as well as the solar panel mounts I installed. Also there is some pitting that I'm not sure about yet.

I emailed RV Armor and on Thursday and they still had a tech in the area and had him come over the following Tuesday (today). I'm very happy they were able to get to it so quickly. The tech is leaving Denver and heading south for the winter so had they not made it happen so quickly I would have been waiting until the spring. Probably not a big deal as I still have the original roof underneath for protection.

The tech felt the gutter issue was caused by a thin application. He cleaned up both sides and reapplied it.

He suspected it didn't bond well around the mounts and in his opinion, the sealant I used likely had silicone in it, to which their material will not bond well. Said the texture was consistent with silicone as well. I double checked and there was no mention of silicone on the packaging or on the website. The only info I found was this video from e-trailer that mention it contained modified silicone. Seems like a reasonable root cause.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Roof-Rep...ms/AL75KV.html

He removed the roofing and sealant on all 16 mount points and resealed them, with their own sealant, then applied the roofing system. Nice job, looks good. Time will tell but I'm confident it will adhere much better.

I used the same sealant around the cable gland but there were no signs of cracking. In this area the first tech used some fabric over the gland area and edges of the gland and I suspect it was able to bond to that ok. I'll check it in the spring and see how it looks. If there are any issues the lifetime warranty will take care of it.

So, a little set back likely due to my choice of sealant. A couple of other touch ups and great response time. I'm pleased. I'll update come spring time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5179.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	48548

Name:	IMG_5184.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	48550

Name:	IMG_5186.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	48551

Name:	IMG_5180.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	48549
    Last edited by RockyRoad; 10-17-2023 at 10:11 PM.
    2022 XLS 22MLE
    2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 Hemi / 3.93 gears

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456