User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGD380FL View Post
    Thanks for the warning. However, I am not new to towing and my truck has 37x12.50R17LT D 124Q Nitto Ridge Grapplers that are rated at 3525 lbs per tire at 50 psi. When combined they have a higher carrying capacity than the 7000 lb rating of the Dana M275 1-Ton Axle on my SRW truck.

With an empty hitch weight of 3052 lbs, I do not think my TIRES will be an issue.

EDIT: And to clarify, there is a lot of difference between a modern 2021 Ford F350 Super Duty Diesel compared to your short bed 2001 F250.
    The tires are usually the weakest link in the mechanical chain.

I would wager that your empty truck is probably close to 3500# on the rear axle, mine is 3350#, then add 3050# of trailer, then a few things, you are pressed right up against 7000#. It might work great, but you will be close. When you get your rig configured, head to the CAT scale. It was a real eye opener for me. It’s always a good idea to know what your rig really weighs, for your own piece of mind.

The stock Michelin LTX is rated at 3750# @80psi. And they are the weakest link in the chain on my SRW SD. I’m in the process of buying a 310GK-R and I think it’s going to work, but if I decide to load up the trailer with a generator and W/D, I’m probably going to be looking for a new truck…. Now is not a good time for truck shopping…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 F350 shortbed pulling a 2020 Reflection 337. No issues at all. Can't get to 90 nor do I want to. I've been able to do about 75-80 degrees in a few tight spots with no issues. However the Solitude is 5" wider so that will make some difference. If you have the Ford factory puck system, you can't use the B&W 4" offset. You would have to have it removed & put the B&W turnover ball in in order to use the offset ball. Good luck.
    Stephen & Kerri
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 4X4 Lariat
    Reese Goosebox

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Neither. It is just a fact that 37/12.50s will put more strain on just about everything on the truck. A 2500/3500 SRW makes an excellent platform for such mods vs. doing the same on a 1/2 ton. But once you do that, your truck should be derated for tow duty. The amount of force those big tires impart on the truck simply makes it less capable. Wheel bearings, ball joints,U joints, brakes, transmissions Ring&pinion,motor etc. all will see more stress.

How much weaker will it make your truck? That can be debated, but it will be less capable, and that is just a fact.

I have no problems with doing such mods, and I even own a lifted truck... But I do not tow with it.
    I was in a 4X4 shop one time waiting my turn at the counter. The person in front of me was complaining about his lifted truck needing brakes every 5000 miles. The shop employee told him flat out. "You need to put it back to stock if you want that truck for work".
    More unsprung weight on the rear axle from the wheels and tires is an interesting argument which I have considered, but Ford uses some of the same components on their 1-ton dually platform with two wheels that weigh much more than a single larger wheel. I would argue my short wheel base puts less stress on my drive components due to a shorter driveshaft and the physics of torque and length. I also removed the giant 3.5” factory block Ford uses on their Tremors and replaced it with Deaver Add-A-Packs without changing my rear ride height. This change adds Progressive leaf springs under the 1-ton 5-leaf pack and greatly reduces unwanted axle wrap when towing.

The one-off comment from a clueless 4x4 store employee about needing brakes every 5000 miles is laughable as the truck clearly had something else going on besides larger tires. My truck has 15,000 miles and the last time I looked at the on-board computer, over 80% of my miles were towing my current camper. My brakes have normal wear, as I use the diesel exhaust brake in automatic mode to reduce the stress on them when towing.
    Last edited by TxGD380FL; 08-05-2022 at 07:56 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreDriver View Post
    The tires are usually the weakest link in the mechanical chain.

I would wager that your empty truck is probably close to 3500# on the rear axle, mine is 3350#, then add 3050# of trailer, then a few things, you are pressed right up against 7000#. It might work great, but you will be close. When you get your rig configured, head to the CAT scale. It was a real eye opener for me. It’s always a good idea to know what your rig really weighs, for your own piece of mind.

The stock Michelin LTX is rated at 3750# @80psi. And they are the weakest link in the chain on my SRW SD. I’m in the process of buying a 310GK-R and I think it’s going to work, but if I decide to load up the trailer with a generator and W/D, I’m probably going to be looking for a new truck…. Now is not a good time for truck shopping…
    I agree that everyone who pulls a trailer should know exactly how much their truck weighs when empty and fully loaded. I use the Cat Scale Weigh My Truck phone app to weigh mine every time I make a major change or tow a new trailer. I also have a Sherline Scale to measure the TW of my pull behind trailers. I am not sure why your empty truck is heavier than mine, but my drive axle comes in at 3240 lbs with the current wheels and tires. With the empty pin weight of 3052, I know I will be close when adding gear and passengers.

The Goosebox hitch pin allows me to avoid using a heavy slider hitch, which would add another 250-350lbs of weight to the bed. The 4" offset ball weighs about 20 lbs which is even lighter than the aluminum Anderson Ultimate hitch at 35 lbs. I will also remove my BakFlip Revolver bed cover when towing to take another 80-100 lbs out of my bed. The nice thing about the 380FL is the rear storage slide out tray. I plan to put my heavier items in the back and use the front storage for the lighter items. The W/D are also near the back behind the axles, so they should not be an issue when we add them.

On a final note, the stock Tremor 35x11.5 Goodyear Duratrac tires have a rating of 4025 lbs when you go to 80 psi, but the truck rides like it is on bricks. I still have them sitting in my garage, but since the Ridge Grappler rating exceeds the truck's axle rating, I do not think they will make much of a difference when towing.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen/Kerri View Post
    We have a 2020 F350 shortbed pulling a 2020 Reflection 337. No issues at all. Can't get to 90 nor do I want to. I've been able to do about 75-80 degrees in a few tight spots with no issues. However the Solitude is 5" wider so that will make some difference. If you have the Ford factory puck system, you can't use the B&W 4" offset. You would have to have it removed & put the B&W turnover ball in in order to use the offset ball. Good luck.
    I do not have the Ford puck system as I prefer the B&W Turnover Ball design of a pin going through the ball, vs the ball-bearing type used by the factory ball. There are several companies who make 4" offset Gooseneck balls for the factory puck system and Drawtite has a 5" offset ball. When I pick up the camper tomorrow, I will do the measurements to the back of the cab and a few test turns in an empty parking lot before I go anywhere where I might get into a tight situation.

EDIT: As pointed out below, the Ford factory puck system does not have an option to use an offset ball due to the poor design of a round hole and no through-pin.
    Last edited by TxGD380FL; 08-05-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several companies who make 4" offset Gooseneck balls for the factory puck system and Drawtite has a 5" offset ball.
    I'm not familiar with these. How is spinning in the factory puck system prevented with the offset balls?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    I'm not familiar with these. How is spinning in the factory puck system prevented with the offset balls?
    You are correct. Several offset balls show up when you do a search for "offset balls for Ford factory puck systems", but they all require aftermarket mounts. I did an initial search, but I never followed up on the details because I have the B&W Turnover Ball installed in my truck.

The lack of a pin through the ball is the main reason I did not order the 5th wheel prep package with my truck, and now, this is a second excellent reason to avoid them.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that everyone who pulls a trailer should know exactly how much their truck weighs when empty and fully loaded. I use the Cat Scale Weigh My Truck phone app to weigh mine every time I make a major change or tow a new trailer. I also have a Sherline Scale to measure the TW of my pull behind trailers. I am not sure why your empty truck is heavier than mine, but my drive axle comes in at 3240 lbs with the current wheels and tires. With the empty pin weight of 3052, I know I will be close when adding gear and passengers.

The Goosebox hitch pin allows me to avoid using a heavy slider hitch, which would add another 250-350lbs of weight to the bed. The 4" offset ball weighs about 20 lbs which is even lighter than the aluminum Anderson Ultimate hitch at 35 lbs. I will also remove my BakFlip Revolver bed cover when towing to take another 80-100 lbs out of my bed. The nice thing about the 380FL is the rear storage slide out tray. I plan to put my heavier items in the back and use the front storage for the lighter items. The W/D are also near the back behind the axles, so they should not be an issue when we add them.

On a final note, the stock Tremor 35x11.5 Goodyear Duratrac tires have a rating of 4025 lbs when you go to 80 psi, but the truck rides like it is on bricks. I still have them sitting in my garage, but since the Ridge Grappler rating exceeds the truck's axle rating, I do not think they will make much of a difference when towing.
    Sounds like you are on the right track and have a good handle on your rig and how it is loaded. You should have a great setup. It’s refreshing to see folks who are paying attention to loading limits. Your trailer does give you a lot of flexibility in how you can distribute your load.

I didn’t mean to sound rude and like I was nagging, I fly airplanes and that weight and balance crap will kill you, if you don’t pay attention to it. Enjoy your new rig, my wife has me shopping for a new 310GK now…

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More unsprung weight on the rear axle from the wheels and tires is an interesting argument which I have considered, but Ford uses some of the same components on their 1-ton dually platform with two wheels that weigh much more than a single larger wheel. I would argue my short wheel base puts less stress on my drive components due to a shorter driveshaft and the physics of torque and length. I also removed the giant 3.5” factory block Ford uses on their Tremors and replaced it with Deaver Add-A-Packs without changing my rear ride height. This change adds Progressive leaf springs under the 1-ton 5-leaf pack and greatly reduces unwanted axle wrap when towing.

The one-off comment from a clueless 4x4 store employee about needing brakes every 5000 miles is laughable as the truck clearly had something else going on besides larger tires. My truck has 15,000 miles and the last time I looked at the on-board computer, over 80% of my miles were towing my current camper. My brakes have normal wear, as I use the diesel exhaust brake in automatic mode to reduce the stress on them when towing.
    I did not say anyting about unsprung wieght. It is more about leverage and torque.
    As for the rest of your statements,,,, they do not make any sense. Taller tires WILL be harder on the brakes...Whether towing or not. I don't know what you consider normal wear... But they WILL last longer with stock sized tires... Perhaps you would say longer than normal?
    The driveshaft length torque is laughable.. The torque is when it twists.. Length has nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by huntindog; 08-06-2022 at 02:57 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up the 380FL this weekend and the truck pulled it beautifully. I put 48 lbs in my rear and 46 lbs in my front tires, 40 lbs in my Airlift airbags and 10 lbs in the Goosebox airbag to smooth the 200+ mile ride back to my house. I drove through the country on long winding roads, through Houston in tight traffic and even caught a rainstorm for 20-30 miles. I had no issues with stability or stopping distance, and I felt zero pull from the semi's passing me on the freeway. The tires performed as expected.

Only time will tell if my SRW SB truck will survive with my slightly oversized tires.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast