Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing Solitude 380FL with Goosebox in a Ford SD 6'-9" Bed

Quote Originally Posted by TxGD380FL View Post
    I picked up the 380FL this weekend and the truck pulled it beautifully. I put 48 lbs in my rear and 46 lbs in my front tires, 40 lbs in my Airlift airbags and 10 lbs in the Goosebox airbag to smooth the 200+ mile ride back to my house. I drove through the country on long winding roads, through Houston in tight traffic and even caught a rainstorm for 20-30 miles. I had no issues with stability or stopping distance, and I felt zero pull from the semi's passing me on the freeway. The tires performed as expected.

Only time will tell if my SRW SB truck will survive with my slightly oversized tires.
    Congratulations on the new rig! Your truck is very capable. I’m in a similar position, picking up a new 310GK-R on Wednesday. Still considering a goosebox, or Gen-Y conversion.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreDriver View Post
    Congratulations on the new rig! Your truck is very capable. I’m in a similar position, picking up a new 310GK-R on Wednesday. Still considering a goosebox, or Gen-Y conversion.
    The Goosebox has been great! We stayed at a local KOA over the weekend, and it was very easy to hook and unhook the truck with just a ball in the bed. I had looked at the Goosebox several months ago, but was not considering it until the camper we found already had it installed. I also have the factory MORryde 5th wheel king pin, but I doubt I will ever use it after seeing how well the Goosebox performs.

The auto-levelers on the Solitude made the initial setup very fast compared to my previous camper and the extra under-frame storage is fantastic, so I am glad we stepped up to the larger 380FL model.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up the 380FL this weekend and the truck pulled it beautifully. I put 48 lbs in my rear and 46 lbs in my front tires, 40 lbs in my Airlift airbags and 10 lbs in the Goosebox airbag to smooth the 200+ mile ride back to my house. I drove through the country on long winding roads, through Houston in tight traffic and even caught a rainstorm for 20-30 miles. I had no issues with stability or stopping distance, and I felt zero pull from the semi's passing me on the freeway. The tires performed as expected.

Only time will tell if my SRW SB truck will survive with my slightly oversized tires.
    Did 10 PSI bring the bar to the center of the window in the Goosebox? I need at least 40 to 45 lbs.

I just started using the Goosebox so I'm learning. I pulled it twice to/from home about 240 miles each way this past week. I figured out I like more air in the Goosebox than less. I also figured out I like at least 45 PSI in the Airlift bags.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Did 10 PSI bring the bar to the center of the window in the Goosebox? I need at least 40 to 45 lbs.

I just started using the Goosebox so I'm learning. I pulled it twice to/from home about 240 miles each way this past week. I figured out I like more air in the Goosebox than less. I also figured out I like at least 45 PSI in the Airlift bags.
    I run our Goodebox between 40-45 PSI, too. I usually adjust if big swings in temp from one morning to the next. At 10 PSI, don’t think I can even see the bar in the window. I found it is important to check indicator window when on level ground.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

You may be right. I asked the previous owner how much air was in the Goosebox and he told me 10 psi, but he must have been mistaken. When we hooked it up to my truck, the bar was right in the middle on both sides, so I did not check the pressure myself. I also asked him about his Airlift airbags and he said normally went with 40 psi, so that is what I used on my way home. The camper was completely empty, so I will probably move up to 45 or 50 after we get it loaded. I am going to try to load most of my heavy items in the back storage behind the rear axles and leave the front for lighter things.

I will check the air pressure in the Goosebox later today when I move the camper to its temporary location. I need to make some changes to my driveway to accommodate the longer length.

On a side note, is it better to check the Goosebox pressure with a gauge when the camper is on the truck or does it matter?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    I run our Goodebox between 40-45 PSI, too. I usually adjust if big swings in temp from one morning to the next. At 10 PSI, don’t think I can even see the bar in the window. I found it is important to check indicator window when on level ground.
    OK, with two out of two replies at 40-45 psi, the previous owner must have been mistaken... :-)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may be right. I asked the previous owner how much air was in the Goosebox and he told me 10 psi, but he must have been mistaken. When we hooked it up to my truck, the bar was right in the middle on both sides, so I did not check the pressure myself. I also asked him about his Airlift airbags and he said normally went with 40 psi, so that is what I used on my way home. The camper was completely empty, so I will probably move up to 45 or 50 after we get it loaded. I am going to try to load most of my heavy items in the back storage behind the rear axles and leave the front for lighter things.

I will check the air pressure in the Goosebox later today when I move the camper to its temporary location. I need to make some changes to my driveway to accommodate the longer length.

On a side note, is it better to check the Goosebox pressure with a gauge when the camper is on the truck or does it matter?
    I think you'll find most of us just adjust it to the middle of the window (or slightly higher or lower). The weight on the goosebox can effect the pressure so while I might need 45 the next person might need 40 or 50 (actually I think 47 is my sweet spot). I use a Milwaukee M12 air compressor so I set it to my desired pressure and it fills to that PSI automatically. If I were to just use a compressor without any gauge I'd just fill using the window.

If you want to get really technical, check out this post by 4x4dually. He really took it to the extreme for maintaining the pressure. Kind of a pretty clever set-up actually.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    37 PSI puts the bar in the center on mine.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m following this, as I am considering a goosebox. I would think that finding the optimum pressure would require checking it with the trailer hooked up to the truck. Sort of like the air bags on my truck, 5psi unloaded, drop the solitude on the hitch and the pressure in the bags is up to about 26-30 under load, due to the squat.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234