User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battle Born test drive

I recently upgraded to two BB 100ah batteries , PD converter/charger, & Victron monitor. Thought I would post first results for those interested. I disconnected from shore power in storage. Ran in the slides , raised all jacks and hooked up. We then towed 8 hours running the inverter for res. fridge in this brutal Texas heat , disconnected and leveled , then ran slides out. Monitor showed batteries at 62%. 1 hour and 45 minutes after plugging back in to shore power batteries are at 99% and charge current has dropped to 2 amps. A success in my mind.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh, sweet success. Congrats!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    I recently upgraded to two BB 100ah batteries , PD converter/charger, & Victron monitor. Thought I would post first results for those interested. I disconnected from shore power in storage. Ran in the slides , raised all jacks and hooked up. We then towed 8 hours running the inverter for res. fridge in this brutal Texas heat , disconnected and leveled , then ran slides out. Monitor showed batteries at 62%. 1 hour and 45 minutes after plugging back in to shore power batteries are at 99% and charge current has dropped to 2 amps. A success in my mind.
    Charlie
    Yes. I would say that is a win!

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. BattleBorn 100AH battery, Victron smart shunt, and a WFCO 9800-AD Charger/Converter.
    My LA battery is in the front compartment sitting in a plastic recessed box. Did you have the same set up?
    How did you mount the new batteries? I thought about just covering up the hole and sealing it and then mounting the BB batteries to a piece of plywood that I could secure to the bottom of the compartment.
    Any advice before I begin?
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. BattleBorn 100AH battery, Victron smart shunt, and a WFCO 9800-AD Charger/Converter.
    My LA battery is in the front compartment sitting in a plastic recessed box. Did you have the same set up?
    How did you mount the new batteries? I thought about just covering up the hole and sealing it and then mounting the BB batteries to a piece of plywood that I could secure to the bottom of the compartment.
    Mine are also in the front storage below the hydraulic system. I built a box from 1/2” plywood with 3/4” hard foam board insulation on bottom and sides. Made a lid from 2 pieces of plywood with the same foam board between them , for cold weather usage. For hot weather, I used a 2x4 across the top , notched , to keep the ratchet strap from pulling the sides in when tightened , and leave the lid off. Since it is Bluetooth enabled, I just mounted the monitor in the same compartment. I can watch everything from inside the RV or the truck while towing.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post

I mounted 8 BB 100AHs on top of the generator compartment using a rack I fabricated out of 1-3/4" aluminum angle 1/4" thick. I could actually fit 10 up there if I wanted to. All of the batteries have heaters, and cold weather usually means generator use so that should keep the BBs happy.
    Last edited by huntindog; 08-03-2022 at 04:06 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently upgraded to two BB 100ah batteries , PD converter/charger...
    I have been dragging my feet on doing the exact thing. I installed the Victron a few years ago. I also have had the misfortune of replacing the inverter twice. The inverter is hard enough to remove and install....how did you attack getting at the converter? I have a 310GK too, and mine is right behind the power center.
    thanks
    Rob
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    I have been dragging my feet on doing the exact thing. I installed the Victron a few years ago. I also have had the misfortune of replacing the inverter twice. The inverter is hard enough to remove and install....how did you attack getting at the converter? I have a 310GK too, and mine is right behind the power center.
    thanks
    Rob
    It’s definitely a little snug work area. I went ahead and removed the center and curbside panel in the basement storage. Could access converter fairly easily then , except for the 110 plug , which plugs into the back of the power distribution center. For that , I just removed the PDC and was able to take care of that from inside the coach.
    Where in central Ga are you? I grew up in Dublin.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in central Ga are you?
    Hey Charlie,
    I retired from the USAF 17 yrs ago, and stayed here in Warner Robins. Did you use the original 4AWG wires and run them the same way? While working on my inverter last month, I discovered just about all of the basement floor is "soft." I never saw water entering through the doors during rain, but I guess it did. I need to get an estimate on that as well, before something falls through it and damages a tank or something.
    take care
    Rob
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Hey Charlie,
    I retired from the USAF 17 yrs ago, and stayed here in Warner Robins. Did you use the original 4AWG wires and run them the same way? While working on my inverter last month, I discovered just about all of the basement floor is "soft." I never saw water entering through the doors during rain, but I guess it did. I need to get an estimate on that as well, before something falls through it and damages a tank or something.
    take care
    Rob
    I did reuse the wire , however I replaced the ring terminals with crimp on lugs. I made all new cables for batteries and added buss bars , a marine grade cut-off , and a quality main breaker.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R