Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metal valve stem for TST

I have searched this forum for an answer on what valve stems are the correct ones to use with the TST flow through sensors. From various posts in 2018 and 2020 I arrived at what I thought was the solution. Xtra seal 17-428. It has the elongated nut allowing it to work on my Lionshead cheetah wheels that are on my 2020 Imagine 2970rl. The problem I have run across is that the max cold pressure is 65lbs for the 17-428 valve stems. I am running Goodyear Endurance at 80 lbs which is the max for the tire. My preference is to stay with the flow through sensors avoiding have to back off the locking nut and remove the sensor to air up the tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    2024 Reflection 337RLS
    Reese Goosebox
    2021 Chevrolet Duramax 2500HD

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice, coming from someone who has them, is to skip the flow-through sensors. You'll end up removing the sensors anyway to add air since they are so restrictive. And from what I've heard the locking nut on the regular sensors isn't really necessary anyway. There's a locking screw on the flow-through sensors, which I've disposed of due to the hassle of loosening it every time I need to add air. Adding as little as 5 psi, can take several minutes with the flow-through sensors.

And just in case you weren't aware, it can take up to an hour for the monitor to alert you to a sensor that has lost contact with the monitor. Way too long IMO. That being said, it's only happened to me once that I'm aware of, and otherwise I'm pleased overall with the TST system.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    My advice, coming from someone who has them, is to skip the flow-through sensors. You'll end up removing the sensors anyway to add air since they are so restrictive. And from what I've heard the locking nut on the regular sensors isn't really necessary anyway. There's a locking screw on the flow-through sensors, which I've disposed of due to the hassle of loosening it every time I need to add air. Adding as little as 5 psi, can take several minutes with the flow-through sensors.

And just in case you weren't aware, it can take up to an hour for the monitor to alert you to a sensor that has lost contact with the monitor. Way too long IMO. That being said, it's only happened to me once that I'm aware of, and otherwise I'm pleased overall with the TST system.
    I have the TST flow thru sensors, And adding air seems about the same as before. I do have an 80 gallon 2 stage 175 PSI compressor, but my Ridgid 18 volt compressor is pretty fast as well.
    What are you using to add air?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes an air tank at 120 psi, sometimes a regular air compressor at 120 psi. It has little to do with pressure, more to do with restriction. I can add 5 psi in a few seconds, but put the flow-through sensors on, and it becomes minutes. Anything over 5 psi and you're going to be at it for a while. I used them a few times at first, but got tired of standing there holding the chuck to the tire valve. They work as sensors just fine, no issues there at all, but I wouldn't bother with them again. But that's my experience.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Sometimes an air tank at 120 psi, sometimes a regular air compressor at 120 psi. It has little to do with pressure, more to do with restriction. I can add 5 psi in a few seconds, but put the flow-through sensors on, and it becomes minutes. Anything over 5 psi and you're going to be at it for a while. I used them a few times at first, but got tired of standing there holding the chuck to the tire valve. They work as sensors just fine, no issues there at all, but I wouldn't bother with them again. But that's my experience.
    I know that they came out with a new design which is the ones I have, perhaps that is the difference... 120 psi would not work for me. My tires need 125.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have the TST flow thru sensors, And adding air seems about the same as before. I do have an 80 gallon 2 stage 175 PSI compressor, but my Ridgid 18 volt compressor is pretty fast as well.
    What are you using to add air?
    I just purchased a Viair 450p-rv. I haven’t tried it yet.
    2024 Reflection 337RLS
    Reese Goosebox

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripleblessing View Post
    I have searched this forum for an answer on what valve stems are the correct ones to use with the TST flow through sensors. From various posts in 2018 and 2020 I arrived at what I thought was the solution. Xtra seal 17-428. It has the elongated nut allowing it to work on my Lionshead cheetah wheels that are on my 2020 Imagine 2970rl. The problem I have run across is that the max cold pressure is 65lbs for the 17-428 valve stems. I am running Goodyear Endurance at 80 lbs which is the max for the tire. My preference is to stay with the flow through sensors avoiding have to back off the locking nut and remove the sensor to air up the tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    This kind of concerns me as I think I put these same valve stems from O'Reilys on my 2020 Reflection. I do not remember seeing the 65 psi max, and have been running these at around 75 psi for 3 years. I have the TST NON-flow thru caps and the stems have worked fine for me. I guess time will tell if the stems hold up.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I uses these on my 21G @80 psi and no problem. If I remember correctly, on the manufacturer’s web site the max psi is higher.
    2021 Momentum 21G
    2020 Silverado 2500 6.6 Gas

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some auto stores, and most tire stores, have a metal sleeve that slides over the original rubber stem. Works just as well as a metal stem, and I used it on my last trailer due to the rims not allowing me to use metal stems on them.

The TPMS that I use is the cap that screws on the valve, not the flow through, and I also did away with the security thing on it.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 07-31-2022 at 05:59 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the advice. I am starting to think that the easiest/ least time consuming option is the exchange the flow through sensors for the cap style. Plus that will save me a trip to the tire store to have valvle stems put on.
    2024 Reflection 337RLS
    Reese Goosebox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast