Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

355th inside tire wear

I have a 355th that has about 5k miles on it. I have never over-loaded the trailer. The inside tread of the tires are wearing bad enough to notice. I have confirmed that there is a "proper" upper bend in the axles when looking at them. I had the seal problem with these axles, now this? Any thoughts? Please tell me there is an easy fix. The unit came with correct track/ equal flex? It there any adjustment that I cant see? I don't see a way to adjust. Please tell me my axles are okay...

scott42blue
    You may want to check decals/labels on your axles. Make sure the are 8K. A few reports on this sight about wrong axles being installed. 8K are easy to identify as brakes and springs are much larger. I sure hope I don't have the same problem as I just installed $ 2500 in 5 Michelin tires.
    Let us know what you find. I had the seal issue also.
    Good Luck
    Scott

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the axles and they are 8k axles. Everything looks in order as far as the shackles and leaf springs and u bolts. I heard the only reason GD changed to 3 axles instead of the 2 axle design that I have, has nothing to do with weight carrying capability. Makes me wonder though because when you read about why RV tires wear on the inside, its because of overloading. I have only carried one motorcycle in my 355th so I know its not over loaded.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhaile View Post
    I don't see a way to adjust. Please tell me my axles are okay...
    You have answered your own question. There is no adjustment for camber or toe on a beam axle. Time to contact Grand Design directly.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion, as a veteran of undersize axles on our 337RLS, is that you need to have the wheel alignment checked. Our unit developed extreme inside edge wear on the rear axle tires, due to about an inch of toe-out (should have zero toe). As a former Hunter Engineering technical representative, I know that their equipment measures and displays ALL angles relating to proper wheel alignment and axle positioning relative to the king pin (or hitch ball). Some competitive equipment doesn't. Their website, www.Hunter.com, will give you access to Heavy Duty alignment shops close to you. Contact them and they will tell you whether they can check and adjust the axles. Refer to the discussion on axle issues on the Reflection 337RLS. Please ask me any questions to assist you!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Response to our friend Rob!
    Almost totally true- but, Correct Track can "aim" the axle properly at the king pin, equalizing individual toe readings. But IF there are camber issues (inward our outward tilt of the tire from true vertical), or toe problems (inward or outward pointing of the tires from straight ahead relative to each other), the axle is distorted and best practice is replacement with a new axle.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

"Correct Track can aim the axles at the kingpin" is a great way to describe what Correct Track can do !
    But, what did I miss in "almost totally true" ? . dhaile says his tires are all wearing on the inside edges . . .
    Back to my original comment . . . "there is no adjustment for camber or toe on a beam axle" . . .
    this fits exactly with your assessment that "the axle is distorted".

As usual, we are in complete agreement on this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I surely, upon reading your comment again, it is totally correct. The reason I commented on it is that I believe dhaile will be best served by KNOWING whether he has an alignment issue by getting accurate readings on all angles. I am referring to my experience with 200 lb. axles and having a gut feeling that some alignment equipment that does not measure toe (such as Bee Line I think) would have given my axles a clean bill of health. I just believe that his strategy on contacting GDRV should be to get them to authorize a proper total alignment check! Happy travels brother! I admire all the help and wisdom on many subjects you give all of us gladly!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "5200" lb. axles! Sorry!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank so much for all the replies. My unit is a 2014 model and is not under the 1 year warranty. This is very frustrating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast