User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for those who installed their own RoadMaster Slipper Spring Suspension

I'll be installing the Slipper Spring system on our 2930 in the next couple weeks. When doing wheel bearings, wet bolt replacements, etc. I typically lift the side of the trailer that I'm working on with the leveling jacks (along with safety stands etc). I'm planning to do the same for the slipper spring system - install one side and then the other vs. installing while the trailer is lifted on both sides. Anyone see an issue installing one side at a time?
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the way I was figuring on doing it. Did you get the shocks and everything? I'd be interested in how it goes, and if you run into any issues.

I'm kind of leaning that way but moving up to the 8,000 lb. springs rather than the 7,000 lb., but not changing the axles. But nothing definite yet.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    That's the way I was figuring on doing it. Did you get the shocks and everything? I'd be interested in how it goes, and if you run into any issues.

I'm kind of leaning that way but moving up to the 8,000 lb. springs rather than the 7,000 lb., but not changing the axles. But nothing definite yet.
    Thanks for the note! I put their shock kit on last Summer while doing new Morryde bushings and wet bolts. The trailer was new to us so I cannot comment on how much the shocks improved the ride, but I was very happy with RoadMaster as a company. The shock kit was first class as was their support. My factory equalizer was in so-so condition when I did the bushings etc. and I figured I'd look at options before buying another one. After reading reviews I figured I'd try the slipper system.

I just read a post from another owner that upgraded from 7k to 8k springs when he installed his RoadMaster system. Wish I could remember where I saw it so I could include the link. In his case, the 8k upgrade caused a rougher ride than he expected. If you have not talked to RoadMaster already, I'm sure they could give you some input.

My wife and I are going to the Indiana Rally and I hope to get the new suspension installed prior to that trip. I'll keep you posted.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I would appreciate it.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roegs01 View Post
    I'll be installing the Slipper Spring system on our 2930 in the next couple weeks. When doing wheel bearings, wet bolt replacements, etc. I typically lift the side of the trailer that I'm working on with the leveling jacks (along with safety stands etc). I'm planning to do the same for the slipper spring system - install one side and then the other vs. installing while the trailer is lifted on both sides. Anyone see an issue installing one side at a time?
    I installed the slipper springs and shocks last December and that is the way I did it. Make sure you support the axles so that there is no undo stress on them.
    My install went pretty well other than my hanger ends were wider than the roadmaster box so had to hammer them to get the box on. The instructions are good so follow them closely as there are a lot of parts to deal with, especially if you are doing the shocks as well.
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie drw 6.7L HO 4.10 max tow pkg
    2021 375res/r DP, FB paint
    Retiring 9/30/21! (Lord willing)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dano50023 View Post
    I installed the slipper springs and shocks last December and that is the way I did it. Make sure you support the axles so that there is no undo stress on them.
    My install went pretty well other than my hanger ends were wider than the roadmaster box so had to hammer them to get the box on. The instructions are good so follow them closely as there are a lot of parts to deal with, especially if you are doing the shocks as well.
    Good information....thanks much for sharing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dano50023 View Post
    ...My install went pretty well other than my hanger ends were wider than the roadmaster box so had to hammer them to get the box on....
    Dano50023...thinking a little more about this. Just to clarify, the hanger that you needed to hammer was the center hanger where the equalizer use to be. Is that correct? Also, did you contact Roadmaster support about it? Not that there are any other solutions besides narrowing the hanger - just curious.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completed my installation of the Roadmaster Slipper Spring suspension. As originally discussed, I did one side of our 2930 at a time (using the leveling jacks) and it all worked fine. As with all things we do the first time, I did the second side in about a third of the time it took on the first side. Although it's a relatively straight forward installation, it was a little more complicated than the upgrade to Morryde brass bushings / wetbolts and Roadmster Shocks that I did last year. All the Roadmaster Slipper spring parts fit well and I did not need to bend any frame hangers etc. Couple of my thoughts:

1. Take your time drilling holes when attaching the slipper box to the frame. You'll need to remove all the expanding foam from around the center (equalizer) hanger and trim surrounding coroplast.
    2. Before drilling the inboard holes, reach up where the coroplast meets the frame rail to locate your electric brake wiring. Be sure to move that wiring out of the way of the hole you'll be drilling. A spinning drill bit could easily damage those wires.
    3. Roadmaster uses some kind of plastic bushings in each of the spring ends. You'll re-use your old fore and aft hanger (wet) bolts for the new slipper springs. As most of you probably know, those hanger (wet) bolts are splined (fluted) so that they don't spin in the hangers. The fit between my re-used wet bolts through the new spring bushings is very tight - to the point where I used a very large Channel-lock pliers to press the wet bolts through the bushings. Once installed, the fit was so tight that any spring movement stripped out the wet bolt spline - in other words, the wet bolt wanted to turn with the spring. I ended up getting new wet bolts that had fresh splines on them.
    4. The shock mounts use special tapered washers that are included with all the other hardware. Take careful note on how to install the tapers.
    5. Don't forget to use expanding foam to seal up the coroplast again.

Other than the notes above, the install went well. I went for a 20 mile test drive and it all felt smooth and stable. I'll find out more in the next couple weeks as we travel from MN to the National Rally.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible the plastic bushings may have needed reaming out to be a slip fit to the wet bolts. I've had that happen with the brass wet bolts before. Ream out to 1/2" diameter.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just completed about 1100 miles on the new Roadmaster Slipper Spring system. I like everything except the squeaking noise it makes from the springs riding against the wear pads. Sounds like my old WD hitch on our travel trailer when we made turns. I've talked to 2 Roadmaster techs. One said to not lube anything, and the other said to spray grease between wear pads and the springs. Hmmm .... I may try some of the dry graphite spray.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast