Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Hot Water Again and Again and Again

On our first trip out last year our hot water heater kept giving us a fault code. We'd turn it off and on and it would work. This year we got to Texas and it died and would not come back on. A mobile tech replaced the thermostat and it worked. Two weeks ago I filled water tank and water heater and turned it on in preparation for our next trip. No hot water and fault light inside trailer comes on. I checked fuse and connections to thermostat and emergency cut off and no change. I checked gas too. On thursday I took it to the dealer, who replaced the control board and the thermostat. It worked on both electric and gas for one day (yesterday). Yesterday I shut off the gas and electric using the switch in the trailer. Today I went back to make sure it would fire up, yes I am paranoid, and yes I should be paranoid. Because it did not work again. And the fault code light is on again. This is a model 6 gallon Atwood GC6AA-10E original equipment water heater.
    Is there a direct replacement heater made by another company that is more reliable? I don't need electric and gas, just gas.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    On our first trip out last year our hot water heater kept giving us a fault code. We'd turn it off and on and it would work. This year we got to Texas and it died and would not come back on. A mobile tech replaced the thermostat and it worked. Two weeks ago I filled water tank and water heater and turned it on in preparation for our next trip. No hot water and fault light inside trailer comes on. I checked fuse and connections to thermostat and emergency cut off and no change. I checked gas too. On thursday I took it to the dealer, who replaced the control board and the thermostat. It worked on both electric and gas for one day (yesterday). Yesterday I shut off the gas and electric using the switch in the trailer. Today I went back to make sure it would fire up, yes I am paranoid, and yes I should be paranoid. Because it did not work again. And the fault code light is on again. This is a model 6 gallon Atwood GC6AA-10E original equipment water heater.
    Is there a direct replacement heater made by another company that is more reliable? I don't need electric and gas, just gas.
    Atwood and Suburban are the two most common. I have had both and prefer the Atwood only because there is no anode rod to change. Both brands are pretty reliable IME.
    I think you just had a run of bad luck, and perhaps some incompetant techs.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point my patience with this heater's bad luck and incompetent techs is at an end. I am leaving on a cross country trip on August 15 and want a working, reliable water heater.

I don't need a common water heater that dies every few weeks. I want a bullet proof appliance, and I am willing to pay what it takes to get one that works right the first time, and every time I turn it on.

So tired of the low quality junk that seems to come with every RV these days.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think size is the main consideration in replacing the water heater. I'm not sure a Suburban fits in the same space as an Atwood so measure first. And while you are at it, check where the gas and 12v connections are (and 120v if you plan on electric).

Water heaters aren't that complicated. Just a control board, some thermistors, and thermostats. Maybe give it another try at repairs.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods