User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is an RV-C bus?

2022 2500RL with the Furrion MPPT Charge Controller - FSCC30PWB-BL

The manual says to leave the switch ON if the MPPT is the last device on the RV-C bus, otherwise leave it off

We we got the trailer, it was in the ON position

What the heck is the RV-C bus and how do I tell if the MPPT is the last device?
    Is there any harm or performance issues if it's set incorrectly?

Thanks, Rick

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this online after a quick search....

RV-C is a protocol language that allows an RV’s different devices and appliances to connect and communicate with each other. Rather than each unit having its own control panel, RV-C enables all of the smart gadgetry within an RV to be managed from one central panel.

“RV-C is essentially a ‘smart home’ system for RVs, allowing users to control everything on their RV from one interface,” Mitic said. “Using this system, it’s possible to monitor and control Go Power solar controllers, among other systems, from that interface, and gives the RV a much cleaner looking interior that isn’t cluttered with switches, monitors and controls.”

The process to integrate RV-C capabilities into Go Power’s solar controllers took almost a year. The communication component also added dozens of hours of testing during product development.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a google search, apparently not very well...

Interesting enough, guess on/off doesn't matter

Thanks, Rick

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also reached out to Furrion and they said it doesn't integrate with Compass Connect so IOW, it's a dumb switch (my editorial)

Thanks, Rick

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you find out what Rv-c bus is? I’m new to this too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    2022 2500RL with the Furrion MPPT Charge Controller - FSCC30PWB-BL

The manual says to leave the switch ON if the MPPT is the last device on the RV-C bus, otherwise leave it off

We we got the trailer, it was in the ON position

What the heck is the RV-C bus and how do I tell if the MPPT is the last device?
    Is there any harm or performance issues if it's set incorrectly?

Thanks, Rick
    Check out this link, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV-C. Likely the MPPT your last electronic device. On the new generation 2600RB with the 12 volt fridge and 160 watt panel it is mounted on the ceiling in the front storage bay next to the water bay. Not exactly where I would have mounted it but it is near where the wiring comes down from the roof.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/...2DC%20protocol.

If you add a smart inverter (Victron), and a few other monitoring devices they will communicate on this bus. Not sure if this integrates with Lipperts one control yet but unlikely, however there are devices that you can purchase such as monitoring/control panels that can be controlled via an app on your phone. Pretty neat stuff. If I find 5 to 7K CAD I will go that route myself. For now I will change out the charge controller for one that has dual battery charging profiles (lead acid/AGM and Lithium) and add a generator and 2 lithium batteries, project for 2024. 2022-2023 tires and suspension enhancements for truck and RV, and 2025 likely solar and Victron Inverter for more dry camping assuming the boss approves.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you that may or may not know Furrion is 100% owned by Lippert now. Also, Furrion does not really manufacture....the write the specs and ship out to Asia (China). Usually you should have a manual that explains the operation of your solar charge controller and its specs as they are needed if you decide to increase the solar wattage as you expand your system....maybe. In that manual it should at least show you a small diagram with installation instructions. My take is if it was in the on position, then that is how it was shipped from the factory so leave it on until you get more info.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can probably be argued that Boeing does not manufacturer planes anymore since they sublet all their parts overseas.

I think most larger business' sublet a lot of items they want built because the labor costs are too high and we as consumers do not want to spend a lot of money.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a serial bus that is based on CAN bus which is a standard used a lot in the automotive industry for connecting devices. All vehicles use "in place" of a wire harness for connecting sensors, etc.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CAN is a communication system used by many industries so information can be shared among many computers. Basically, there are two wires, CAN Hi and Can Low.

My belief is every industry communicates with a different 'language' and the RV industry is breaking ground with their standard, RV-C.