Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumper pull trailer de-coupling woes

Hello all

We have a 2022 2500RL which we pull with a 2021 Chevy 3/4 ton
    Blue Ox Track Pro WDH

When I go to de-couple, I release the ball lock and start raising up the trailer by extending the tongue jack

Most of the time, the trailer lifts the truck up some 2-3" before it rather abruptly comes apart and the truck drops down, more than a little un-nerving when standing between the truck and trailer

So far I have tried the following
    * Not setting the parking break on the truck, that does seem to help (not always) as the transmission can move a bit
    * Try rocking the truck side to side by pushing on the hitch
    * The ball height was adjusted to current position due to being originally installed 2" too low, thought it might be biding, no luck with the ball being higher
    * I asked the dealer, they had no idea

I'm at a loss really and could use some advice

Thanks, Rick

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was last in reverse I put it in drive and then go into park
    If I was last in drive I stop in reverse before I go to park

In my GMC this seems to free up the truck allowing it to move a bit but it still does what you say sometimes. It can be unnerving
    I stand on the bumper early sometimes to try and alleviate it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once your trailer wheels are chocked, you can also try shifting your truck into neutral and then back into park. If there was tension between the two when you first put the truck into park, going to neutral should help alleviate the tension. Now if there is something binding or otherwise, this may not help. When it pulls the truck rear up, once it gets to the point where it seems like it's going to drop, you can stop and lift in small increments so that it doesn't allow it to drop and shift forward or backward suddenly. It will usually drop slowly this way. Hope that helps.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe put a bit of grease on the ball and hitch (including the hitch lock) if there isn't any there already.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies,

I will try the shifting ideas, N, D, R before park. I was avoiding the parking break for a similar reason but going through the gears is a good idea
    Wouldn't hurt to put a dab of grease on the sides of the ball and lock, I do keep a bit of grease on the top of the ball

Yes I have tried going slowly, 1 bump at a time...
    and standing on the bumper is a good idea

Thanks again
    Rick

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once the ball lock is released and in the up position, you can then bring the truck back to have the ball lose tension on the front of the socket.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the SAME issue (and came today to ask the same question)! It just feels like the hitch 'holds' the ball too well. Doesn't seem to matter whether my last truck movement was backward or forward ... the ball is nested right at the front of the hitch and it curls under the ball just enough to hold fast.

This last time I tried undoing the lock then backing the truck up a smidge to try to get the ball out of the 'pocket'. Of course I was alone, worried about backing 'into' the hitch/trailer and every time I'd put it into park it'd roll forward again (I only wanted to back it up 1/4-1/2"). Sigh. After the fourth attempt I gave up and continued the unhitching process. As usual, it raised much higher than it should have had too, then 'BAM' the ball violently falls out of the hitch (and the trailer slides forward a bit scaring the bejeebus out of me, sometimes it slides back) I have it chocked, but I'm somewhat afraid that it'll jump the chock one of these days! I now even leave the chains hooked up to the truck until after it's decoupled, just as a measure of perceived safety.

I wonder if this is why the previous owner had the hitch PACKED with grease. This was not a 'bit' or a 'drop' ... measurable amounts of goo were in this hitch when I took ownership.

So tired of this anxiety while unhooking. Didn't have this issue with my previous trailer.
    -Pam
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB bought in 2022.
    towed by a 2019 Nissan NV 3500 Passenger van
    prior trailer: 2017 Coleman CTS16FB towed by a 2012 Kia Sedona, then the 2019 NV.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back it up a smidgen, then set parking brake before putting it in park.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raise the trailer until it lifts the truck an inch or two then get in the truck and ease it back a little, it should drop out of the coupler without a problem. You will feel it and know when it works.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    Raise the trailer until it lifts the truck an inch or two then get in the truck and ease it back a little, it should drop out of the coupler without a problem. You will feel it and know when it works.
    Interesting ...
    -Pam
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB bought in 2022.
    towed by a 2019 Nissan NV 3500 Passenger van
    prior trailer: 2017 Coleman CTS16FB towed by a 2012 Kia Sedona, then the 2019 NV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast