User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure glad I'm not alone... will try out these tips in the future...

B/C this has scared me so much a few times, I now have 4 wheel chocks, rather than the 2 I started out with... oh yeah and some new drawers

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    Hello all

We have a 2022 2500RL which we pull with a 2021 Chevy 3/4 ton
    Blue Ox Track Pro WDH

When I go to de-couple, I release the ball lock and start raising up the trailer by extending the tongue jack

Most of the time, the trailer lifts the truck up some 2-3" before it rather abruptly comes apart and the truck drops down, more than a little un-nerving when standing between the truck and trailer

So far I have tried the following
    * Not setting the parking break on the truck, that does seem to help (not always) as the transmission can move a bit
    * Try rocking the truck side to side by pushing on the hitch
    * The ball height was adjusted to current position due to being originally installed 2" too low, thought it might be biding, no luck with the ball being higher
    * I asked the dealer, they had no idea

I'm at a loss really and could use some advice

Thanks, Rick
    Hi Rick,

I have also experienced this. After I remove the WD bars, I lower the truck, then try to move the ball lock, you can tell right away if it will be an issue. If the ball lock is super tight and won’t move, as others have advised, rock the truck ever so slightly. Most of the time you can feel the subtle clunk. Then open the ball lock and lift and 9 times out of 10 it will pop right out with no issue. That has been my experience so far.

Good Luck,
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 put truck in neutral to shift small adjustments and use the parking brake each time. I typically get caught up in the front of the ball and drift it back a touch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    If I was last in reverse I put it in drive and then go into park
    If I was last in drive I stop in reverse before I go to park

In my GMC this seems to free up the truck allowing it to move a bit but it still does what you say sometimes. It can be unnerving
    I stand on the bumper early sometimes to try and alleviate it
    I do the same thing. Excellent advice.
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL
    Equalizer 2, 4-point hitch.
    2015 GMC Savana 2500 6.0 liter
    Locking rear differential. Bilstein shocks, heavy-duty trailering package, Tow/Haul mode.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chock the TT wheels. Then shift the truck into neutral and momentarily take your foot off the brake. Then shift back to Park. This allows the truck to roll a slight distance (forward or back) and takes most of the tension out of the setup. It usually helps.
    2018 Imagine 2600RB
    2019 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 LT Crew Cab, Vortec 6L V8, 4.10 Rear Axle
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000# Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ball fits in a socket. The socket latch (called the frog) has to get out from under the edge of the ball. Sometimes the ball is shoved up under the edge of the socket and sometimes is still on top of the frog. I usually try shaking the back of the truck as I see the weight start lifting on the ball. If you get up 3-4 inches and it doesn't release then jump in the truck and shift reverse and forward. It only takes a little jiggle to get it to release. Also, make sure everything is greased pretty good, that helps a lot
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same Blue Ox WDH with 1500 lb spring bars for my Imagine 3100RD. If my hitch does not release right away, I go back to the truck and rock it back and forth once. This loosens the ball and it always drops right out when I raise it again. I do not grease the ball or socket, because I do not want to get my hands or clothes greasy when hitching and unhitching.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the advise...

We leave for camping on 8/19 (hopefully) so I will give the many suggestions here a go

Rick
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have same problem. I chock both sides of trailer but my driveway slopes down towards garage. Last year I released the trailer by rocking the truck and the trailer jumped all 4 chocks and hit the ladder on the garage gutter. Had to replace gutter and ladder. I bought a set of between the wheels adjustable chocks and it solved the problem.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same issue, but not because of inadequate chocking, greased/not-greased ball, truck neutral load on coupler, etc... my tongue jack does not raise the coupler entirely vertical over the ball. The tongue jack (top) is angled slightly aft. The coupler lock releases with ease almost every time; however, when I start to raise the tongue, the coupler catches and holds the ball. If the ball doesn't release after a few inches of lift, gentle foot persuasion on the hitch releases the ball.

Just my experience...

Mike
    Mike & Sonya
    Lake Huron Shoreline, SW Ontario
    2021 Imagine 2400BH (DeBunked), Blue Ox Swaypro
    2017 Silverado 1500 CC 5.3 Tow Pkg, RAS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast