Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek and tongue jack questions

It is my understanding that I need to hold the button down after the Schwintek slide is in or out and to listen to the sound of the motor before releasing the button, but what would happen if I hold the button down longer than 5 seconds? Is there any harm to the motors or slide if I hold it down longer, like 10 seconds? Curious and trying to remove some of my concerns about the slide.

Similar question and concern on the tongue jack. What happens if I hold the button on retract after hearing the awful click sounds when it's at the top? Am I hurting the jack when I hear that sound and should stop retracting sooner?

How about holding the extend button too long on the tongue jack, can I raise the jack too high? I have visions of the jack coming apart.
    2021 Imagine XLS 23bhe
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland v8 4WD | 7,400 tow | 6800 GVWR
    Husky WD 30849 w/ sway control kit | Tekonsha brake controller
    Jeep + driver and 2 passengers = 5,990 | Trailer = 6,520 | Tongue = 760

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No issues holding the slide button for longer. I do until the slide stops making any noise or movement

As far as the jack goes don’t let it get to those extremes. Stop if it does it won’t come apart
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    No issues holding the slide button for longer. I do until the slide stops making any noise or movement

As far as the jack goes don’t let it get to those extremes. Stop if it does it won’t come apart
    I agree with both. You can place a mark or tape on the lower strut to warn you when to stop. If you pull the main cover of you measure/estimate the full length of the strut and stop before full extension. If you need full length consider a second block.
    Last edited by stroguy; 08-01-2022 at 05:04 AM.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Schwintek slides, they are designed to "amp out" when fully retracted or extended. So to keep the slide in alignment they instruct holding the button for 5 seconds after it "amps out". At that point if you continue to hold the button nothing will happen because it already "amped out". Could I say amp out one more time?

As for the tongue jack, I really hate that sound so whether it causes an issue or not I stop it before it gets to that point.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tongue jack on my last trailer, one time when I held the retract button too long, it blew the internal fuse inside the jack, another time, it would not extend afterwards until I partially extended it manually. Like what has been mentioned, I put a piece of tape on it and would not retract beyond it. If you look inside these jacks, it is all cheap plastic gears, and it doesn't take much to strip them.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles