Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping in Iowa

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camping in Iowa

Although new to towing(been out a half a dozen time since getting the more towable 295rl) not to trailer life(mainly for work) we have been to a few of the campgrounds in Wisconsin but looking at going out of state for the first time and although we would like to head down to Kentucky I'm not sure I want my first out of state towing trip having to go through Chicago so we are thinking Iowa. I've seen some older threads about Iowa but would like some input as to if you were going to spend a week there, where would you set up at to make the most of the trip as far as wineries, Sites to see and Antique malls to go to. Also is what roads would avoid with the trailer. Thank you in advance for any input.
    Last edited by NAKemp; 08-01-2022 at 06:52 AM.
    Neil & Diane Kemp
    2023 3500 GMC Sierra SLE with Duramax/Allison
    2022 150 Series 295RL, Disk Brake Conversion Kit, Solar Panels added.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what we do when we want to visit a particular area... first, we use TripAdvisor (https://www.tripadvisor.com/) to see what there is to do and see in the area we're considering. Then we use RV Life Trip Wizard (https://tripwizard.rvlife.com/login) to plan a route and find places to stay. Trip Wizard involved a paid subscription, but many of us on the forum have found it to be more than worth it. Once you enter the parameters for your rig (length, width, height, GVWR, etc.), Trip Wizard will route you appropriately and help you avoid roads and routes you shouldn't tow on. It has a lot of other tools I don't have time or room to go into here, too. I used it (along with The Mountain Directory - which you won't need in Iowa) to plan our 3,650 mile spring trip this year. I can't emphasize enough how useful it is.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 08-01-2022 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Finding more typos...
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Here's what we do when we want to visit a particular area... first, we use TripAdvisor (https://www.tripadvisor.com/) to see what there is to do and see in the area we're considering. Then we use RV Live Trip Wizard (https://tripwizard.rvlife.com/login) to plan a route and find places to stay. Trip Wizard involved a paid subscription, but many of us on the forum have found it to be more than worth it. Once you enter the parameters for your rig (length, width, height, GVWR, etc.), Trip Wizard will route you appropriately and help you avoid roads and routes you shouldn't tow on. It has a lot of other tools I don't have time or room to go into here, too. I used it (along with The Mountain Directory - which you won't need in Iowa) to plan our 3,650 mile spring trip this year. I can't emphasize enough how useful it is.

Rob
    I'll look into them Rob. My biggest concern of the roads are are they being worked on, will they tear the trailer apart if you go down them. Will the Trip Wizard call these roads out as such. I've been up and down the east coast either for moving, vacation or work so i know how bad some of those roads are. going from Manitowoc to Iowa isn't that far basically but if I can avoid a terrible road in the beginning and make the trip where ever we go a little nicer then I'll be happier. Maybe over thinking stuff don't want to be that person that was on the wrong road at the wrong time.
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKemp View Post
    I'll look into them Rob. My biggest concern of the roads are are they being worked on, will they tear the trailer apart if you go down them. Will the Trip Wizard call these roads out as such. I've been up and down the east coast either for moving, vacation or work so i know how bad some of those roads are. going from Manitowoc to Iowa isn't that far basically but if I can avoid a terrible road in the beginning and make the trip where ever we go a little nicer then I'll be happier. Maybe over thinking stuff don't want to be that person that was on the wrong road at the wrong time.
    Trip Wizard will not tell you about construction (Google Maps often does) nor road conditions. You'll have to rely on local knowledge for that, I think. We traversed the entirety of Iowa this spring and I don't remember any bad roads. We used several US and state highways and, as I recall, everything was in very good condition and the drives were quite pleasant through the countryside.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trip Wizard will not tell you about construction (Google Maps often does) nor road conditions. You'll have to rely on local knowledge for that, I think. We traversed the entirety of Iowa this spring and I don't remember any bad roads. We used several US and state highways and, as I recall, everything was in very good condition and the drives were quite pleasant through the countryside.

Rob
    Thats nice to know. Thank you. When you get on some roads in some states it's seems like they don't take care of them at all although there is always road construction going on like PA for one.
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    Have to agree with Rob, we use RV Life Trip Wizard to plan our trips and also use it when modifying our routes to add on places to see. At around $40 a year its well worth it, plus there are other things you get access to on RV Life. Our Garmin RV 660 GPS alerts us to things like road construction, accidents, traffic jams and such and attempts to route us around the obstacles..
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do agree with Rob on Google maps. However, some times I've come across a few non-listed closings due to sudden maintenance which diverted us down roads that may have not been ideal for long trailer travel.

Luckily, when this has happened to us, we were somewhat familiar with the surrounding roads and knew how to get around any unforseen "challenges".

Another technique I would recommend when using google maps to plan your destination is to turn on map layers, or satelite views. This will show you the actual roads taken from above in great detail so that you can see road width, intersections, train crossings, etc. Now, it is of course dated information from when the satelite last captured the view, but, will give you good reference on what roads are like at that time.

Another good bit of information one can use with sat view, is resturaunt, store, and gas station locations. Also because my wife is a lite sleeper, we also scope out CGs for surrounding airports, railroad tracks, and highway locations near the CG. (Dont ask me about my CG experience in Colorado Springs near Ft Carson.... trains, planes, automobiles, reveille and retreat gave my wife fits!
    Me not so much since my own military service and dependent experiences)... Happy wife = happy camping!
    Last edited by trailrydr; 08-01-2022 at 08:50 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably won't go off and purchase the RV Life set up right now being we're still a couple years away from what it seems some of you have the option of doing(like a lot of travelling) Probably will use the trip advisor and using the map layer to see what a gas station would actually look like before pulling in is a good idea being I have no plan to buy a diesel and gas stations can be a bit tight if your not careful.
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKemp View Post
    Although new to towing(been out a half a dozen time since getting the more towable 295rl) not to trailer life(mainly for work) we have been to a few of the campgrounds in Wisconsin but looking at going out of state for the first time and although we would like to head down to Kentucky I'm not sure I want my first out of state towing trip having to go through Chicago so we are thinking Iowa. I've seen some older threads about Iowa but would like some input as to if you were going to spend a week there, where would you set up at to make the most of the trip as far as wineries, Sites to see and Antique malls to go to. Also is what roads would avoid with the trailer. Thank you in advance for any input.
    I would check out the Decorah area, they have a couple nice brewery’s there along with the states trout hatchery.
    2019 GD Reflection 320MKS
    2020 Ford F-450 crew cab Lariat plus DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonPlegrand View Post
    I would check out the Decorah area, they have a couple nice brewery’s there along with the states trout hatchery.
    Might also look into the Amana Colonies off I80 north to state hway 151.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast