User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arches National Park - Moab UT

Thought I would add to the collection of posts I have made of our Western trip. We are on the third leg of our trip and have made it to Moab UT. We will be here for 2 weeks.
    When we first got here June 30th it was crowded, lots of traffic through Moab but now Aug 1st it is very quiet, traffic has significantly reduced. Families back home, kids back to school. Our campground has emptied out a lot. We made our first trip into Arches yesterday, boy was it hot at 95*, yes, you have to buy online a timed entry pass for $2 to enter the park at a specific time. Passes can be purchased at https://www.recreation.gov/timed-entry/10088426.

But if you enter before 6AM or after 5PM, you don't need a pass, at least that is what we have read. The only entry passes available for yesterday began at 1 PM, not a good time to visit when its this hot. We thought we would drive the park road, see what we could and decide what very easy trails we could visit at an early time on another day. We had to wait in line at the entry gate at least 40 minutes to get through. Yeah I get it, you have the single park road that everyone has to drive on to get to the particular sites and trails. Once inside the park we found it not too crowded except at some of the more popular trail parking, but for the things we wanted to see first we had no trouble finding a parking space for our dually. Wish they would change to something like Yellowstone did during the flood, odd - even license plate entry, and Yellowstone gets a lot more visitors than Arches.

Anyway turned out to be a good day seeing the park. We have a couple easy short trails marked that we will go back and visit, like I said we are here 2 weeks to take in Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bears Ears and so forth. We will use Moab as our base camp. We have decided to add a road trip to Valley of The Gods, Trail Of The Ancients, and Monument Valley just to the south of Moab down highway 191 @ 140 miles. We have plenty of time to spend and who knows if we will make it back out here again anytime soon, might as well see as much as we can while we are out here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3660.jpg   IMG_3666.jpg   IMG_3669.jpg   IMG_3672.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 08-01-2022 at 09:08 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus a few more pics, also we took several videos of our drive into the park.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3676.jpg   IMG_3682.jpg   IMG_3688.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check out Dead Horse Point State Park while you are in the area.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alias100 View Post
    You might want to check out Dead Horse Point State Park while you are in the area.
    I will second checking out Dead Horse State Park!
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2018 RAM Laramie 3500 DRW
    Retired Navy

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We both loved Arches too, what a really neat place. We were there the third week of Sept. last year and it was in the mid 90s then. It actually felt pretty good though, as we had just left Bryce Canyon area and our last night there it got down to 26° overnight. We didn't really get to do any hiking because we had the dog with us, but the drive through there in the truck yielded a lot of beautiful sights and quite a few pics and some video too. Seeing your postings is making me want to go back, but for the time being, I just open up my memory card on the computer and take a trip back there via pics.

Thanks for posting man, I appreciate that.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been to the Moab area four times over the past 30 years. Never gets boaring! Have been on the night boat trip on the Colorado River on the city edge twice. You need to check it out if you can.

Ray
    2011 3500 Chevrolet LTZ SRW 4X4
    2020 GD Imagine 3100RD
    Slide toppers, Dimmer switches, surge guard
    MorRyde w/wet bolts, GY ST225/75R15 tires

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another suggestion for the area.....rent a SXS and spend the day....or half a day at the Sand Flats Recreation area riding. This hill kind of spooked my wife, but it sure was a fun day.....AND.....we all survived it....me, the wife and our dog! They call it "slickrock" but it has plenty of traction....

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to take the night boat ride up the Colorado River. It's a real treat. We've done it a couple of times.

And maybe consider a leisurely sunset dinner up hwy 128 at Red Cliffs Lodge - leave plenty of time before dinner to explore the really neat movie museum they have downstairs.

One more thought - I should have thought of this weeks ago while you were traveling through Yellowstone..... Absolutely download the GyPSy Guide app for your smartphone. Archs and Canyonlands is a MUST LISTEN. It is packed with information and fun trivia facts. It is worth the money!

There is also an app called Up Ahead. I think it is free but it isn't nearly as nice as the GyPSY Guides.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 08-01-2022 at 07:29 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post Steven. It's letting me relive our trips in those aresa.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what you see if you get up early and wait for the sunrise.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arches (116).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	42251[IMG]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201019_074216724_HDR.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	42252

Also, just after sunset the red rock actually glow like they have their own energy. Amazing
    Used to be one of my favorite parks. My first visit was over 30 yrs ago when you could just drive in, go to the campground and set up. Its so crowded now it's almost ruined. Enjoy the scenery.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast