User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having a problem securely hanging coat rack on wall

Hello I am a new owner and I tried to hang a coat rack on my textured wall by entrance door. I 1st tried command strips rated for about 10 lbs. To hold just dog leashes or caps it held fine as soon as I put my wives purse on it fell. What do you guys use to hang stuff on the walls? Are the walls made out of thin sheet metal with space in between ? Could I put a small short toggle drywall screw in or just go with some heavier rated command strip and Velcro?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be best to find a stud(s) for any screws. The walls are not metal & are quite thin. Anything screwed into them would just pull out.
    My wife's purse is whoa heavy...I don't think any command strip would hold it.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the shorted hollow door Molly screws. Have mounted many things on trailer wall ( inside or outside interior walls). They are very secure.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything heavy on a command strip will either cause it to fall off the wall or possibly pull the paper away from the luan. No way would I try to hang my purse on a wall hook in the RV. The best spot to hang a purse would be on a door knob or the back of a chair.

I do use command hooks behind the bedroom door for light weight jackets
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have switched to these - seem to be holding up better than the regular thin adhesive and hooks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.22.49 AM.png  

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use them a lot with good success, except above the shower wall. I'd be scared to hand DW purse on them though. Heck, I'm scared when she brings that thing on the boat. Lol. All joking aside, have you tried whipping down where the strip sticks with a little alcohol?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuke11 View Post
    Hello I am a new owner and I tried to hang a coat rack on my textured wall by entrance door. I 1st tried command strips rated for about 10 lbs. To hold just dog leashes or caps it held fine as soon as I put my wives purse on it fell. What do you guys use to hang stuff on the walls? Are the walls made out of thin sheet metal with space in between ? Could I put a small short toggle drywall screw in or just go with some heavier rated command strip and Velcro?

We went with one similiar to the attached. We use it to hold our keys, dog leash, DWs apron, fly swatter, etc... Its lite weight, and we mounted between the hutch and bathroom door by the stairs with screws in our 5er. Been there for 4 years w/o issues.

We have hung lite weight jackets there before, but the opening in the hall is too narrow, when trying to access the stairs. We use the closet in our bedroom or our ottoman for the bulky stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/EBEI-Mounted-...17430055&psc=1
    Last edited by trailrydr; 08-03-2022 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Correction
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    I use the shorted hollow door Molly screws. Have mounted many things on trailer wall ( inside or outside interior walls). They are very secure.
    That is what I did as well. It is a small coat rack I built and I hid the screws by using one of the holes from the hook.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coat Hooks.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	42296

It's been up there almost 2 years with zero issues.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    We use them a lot with good success, except above the shower wall. I'd be scared to hand DW purse on them though. Heck, I'm scared when she brings that thing on the boat. Lol. All joking aside, have you tried whipping down where the strip sticks with a little alcohol?
    Idid try the command strips 1 more time thinking I did not have heavy enough ones 1st and the rack fell again damaging my molding underneath sooo I put a couple of tiny screws in wall and do not think it will ever fall again.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stain and finish a piece of wood and then attach that to the studs, then I attach whatever hooks, etc that I want. Gives me more flexibility on what kinds of hooks I use, where I put them, how many, etc.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5