Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pin box options

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pin box options

Hi all. What pin box options are there to replace the Lippert pin box on a 2022 Grand Design 295RL (Reflection 150 series) in order to smooth out the ride a bit? I have a BW companion hitch in a Chevy 2500 6.9ft bed which I like very much but would like to see if a smoother ride option exists. Not using turning point at all. Thanks
    2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 295RL
    US Army RET

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidlm View Post
    Hi all. What pin box options are there to replace the Lippert pin box on a 2022 Grand Design 295RL (Reflection 150 series) in order to smooth out the ride a bit? I have a BW companion hitch in a Chevy 2500 6.9ft bed which I like very much but would like to see if a smoother ride option exists. Not using turning point at all. Thanks
    Unfortunately, according to Lippert there is no warranteed replacement for their OEM frame and pinbox combo on the Turning Points. But, if not worried about the frame warranty, I'm sure some shop could replace it with some modifications.

As far as I know, there is no bolt on replacement. Morryde did have one at one time, but it did require some modifications, and again, according to lippert could effect the frame waranty.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are none....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the 5W hitch with air bags would be the only solution, forget the name of it though.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying there are none because it would void the warranty? None of the Moryde 1621 Lippert replacements on e-Trailer? Would you recommend Sumo springs or similar then on my Silverado HD 2500 instead? Another hitch like the Hensley Trailer Saver? Thanks
    2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 295RL
    US Army RET

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying there are none because it would void the warranty? None of the Moryde 1621 Lippert replacements on e-Trailer? Would you recommend Sumo springs or similar then on my Silverado HD 2500 instead? Another hitch like the Hensley Trailer Saver? Thanks
    It is not a 1621 frame. There are no aftermarket pinboxes that fit the Turning Point frame.

What are your specific issues? Chucking, or just a harsh ride? Your putting a bunch of weight in the back of a HD truck, so the ride isn't like a Cadillac.

Start with airbags on the truck and play with the pressures.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. No hard chucking maybe porpoising depending on road type. Trying to smooth out the ride a bit - I realize it’s not a Cadillac but see many comments about how smooth their ride is - just trying to get to that point, as well.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Thanks. No hard ch ucking maybe porpoising depending on road type. Trying to smooth out the ride a bit - I realize it’s not a Cadillac but see many comments about how smooth their ride is - just trying to get to that point, as well.
    I dont have your tow vehicle, but I do have a F150 that I tow my 295RL with, and I have placed air bags with a dual path compressor/after market swaybar/10 ply LT tires to help with weight distribution and level (left/right/front/rear) control while towing.

I also pay close attention to how I load my 5er as well. We typically load it (instead of the TV) a bit heavier toward the front than the rear. Most of the extra weight is placed over the 5er axles (in the kitchen area between the island/retracted slides/hutch/door/step floor area).

If we bring our 2 mountain bicycles with carrier using the rear 295RL receiver hitch, we try to counter balance that additional weight in the 5er bedroom. We keep little to no weight in the TV as possible.

All of this has really helped greatly with any sway, porpoising, and ride issues we may have ever had with our 295RL.

Our current setup is fairly comfortable to tow using our F150, and the ride is good enough to make my (overly cautious/nervous at times of road travel) DW enjoy and feel comfortable with our travels - which have been from the Smokies to the Rockies thru very busy, poorly kept, and Semi rutted roads even when using the full function usage of the Turning Point pinbox.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the detailed response Jim. My vehicle is level/BW companion hitch is great; just wanting a little smoother ride for the wife; if just me I could deal with it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over on the GD295RL forum a gentleman detailed swapping a Moryde orbital pin box
    Part RTPB83-1622 for the stock pin box on a 2021 indicating the bolts all lined up, no mods. He is using the pin in the locked position as I would. He has included pics and details.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast