User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Thanks for the info. The filters are listed as 9 7/8" in length. I assume those are considered 10" and will work?

I'm actually looking for something to use on a home refrigerator ice maker.
    Yes, the 9 7/8" work in the 10" filter canisters, including the Beech Lane.

For an inside the fridge water/ice filter, you can search for the OEM filter on FWS's site and cross reference to an off-brand that is still NSF certified and costs about half the price. I think we use Tier 1 branded filters for our fridges. There are also external water line/ice maker carbon-based filters that come with braided stainless steel connector lines. We used those for a fridge when we lived in Davis, CA - our city water tasted like fertilizer before filtering.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built my own two canister filter system from parts available at Lowes. Definitely not the cheapest place to buy the parts, but they had everything I needed when I was there. I do not have any kind of frame or anything holding the canisters together, just the brass connection between them and it is quite sturdy feeling and stable with no leaks. I set the canisters on the ground near the water source and have a short leader hose going from my pressure regulator down to the canisters then a long hose going to the RV inlet. So far this system works well enough for us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1C5F06D-5598-474C-9AB6-AD83A35DAECC.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	42321
    Steve & Katey
    Full time since 07/01/2022
    2020 Ford F-350 DRW (5361 payload)
    2024 Solitude 390RK (FBP and Morryde IS from factory)
    2018 Reflection 337RLS (Still got it!)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Katey View Post
    I built my own two canister filter system from parts available at Lowes. Definitely not the cheapest place to buy the parts, but they had everything I needed when I was there. I do not have any kind of frame or anything holding the canisters together, just the brass connection between them and it is quite sturdy feeling and stable with no leaks. I set the canisters on the ground near the water source and have a short leader hose going from my pressure regulator down to the canisters then a long hose going to the RV inlet. So far this system works well enough for us.

I have one of what looks like the same canister you are using, and exactly the same regulator/hose setup. I used a piece of 4" PVC and made a sleeve for the canister to sit in, then mounted the PVC to a short piece of aluminum I beam which sets on the ground. I was just looking for a way to protect the canister.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a similiar setup on my stick built lake home. But. I use a Big Blue on the first one, and a clear bowl Whirlpool on the second. Both for well water sediment only. The clear bowl gives me a view of the sediment built up on the filter to help with replacement cycles. We quit drinking our well water, and soften it only for appliance usage. Same with our RV water, filter and soften it too, but dont drink. Buy bottled water for drinking and cooking.

IMHO, softening is much more important with a simple inline filter setup. In 15 years of softening, haven't replaced a appliance or valves due to hard water! Before that, about every 5 years depending on use.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    I use a similiar setup on my stick built lake home. But. I use a Big Blue on the first one, and a clear bowl Whirlpool on the second. Both for well water sediment only. The clear bowl gives me a view of the sediment built up on the filter to help with replacement cycles. We quit drinking our well water, and soften it only for appliance usage. Same with our RV water, filter and soften it too, but dont drink. Buy bottled water for drinking and cooking.

IMHO, softening is much more important with a simple inline filter setup. In 15 years of softening, haven't replaced a appliance or valves due to hard water! Before that, about every 5 years depending on use.
    If I were to do mine over I'd go for a clear canister for the sediment filter too. If I ever add a 3rd filter I'll do so then or if I need to replace one of the two I have now.

My father lives in South Florida and has well water with a softening system. I've found after being there numerous times that I do not like soft water. I'm probably one of the weird ones in that way I guess.
    Steve & Katey
    Full time since 07/01/2022
    2020 Ford F-350 DRW (5361 payload)
    2024 Solitude 390RK (FBP and Morryde IS from factory)
    2018 Reflection 337RLS (Still got it!)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were to do mine over I'd go for a clear canister for the sediment filter too. If I ever add a 3rd filter I'll do so then or if I need to replace one of the two I have now.

My father lives in South Florida and has well water with a softening system. I've found after being there numerous times that I do not like soft water. I'm probably one of the weird ones in that way I guess.
    We dont like to cook with the softened well water either. In our stick built, we bypass the softner and use filtered well water for cooking.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We run a single canister system for shower and cooking, Berkey for drinking.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked up this 2 cannister system in Yuma for something like $35.

Name:	IMG_20200225_152217233_HDR.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	42442

Regarding the Berkey, Wirecutter has a review of it and some other countertop water filters. They don't recommend it.
    https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...filter-system/
    Bill & Lisa
    2013 Ford F350 Platinum diesel
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the Berkey, Wirecutter has a review of it and some other countertop water filters. They don't recommend it.
    [/QUOTE]

I appreciate the link to the review ... I read most of them with caution. If I avoided everything that folks threw neggies at I wouldn't own a Ford truck, GD fifth wheel (and pretty much all my clothing!)
    Pam and Doug
    2017 F350 (the Dragon) with 2015 GD Ref 337RLS (the Dragon's Tail)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast