User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    That's my next target. For whatever reason, on this last trip out, when I did my brake check I just wasn't too impressed. The brakes were working, but they didn't try too hard to stop the truck like they usually do. Ramped up the brake controller the last few notches, now it's maxed out at 10.0 (Ford OE controller) and it was ... acceptable, I guess, but not inspiring. Better on the trip home for some reason, but still at full gain. Time to figure out why the brakes on this trailer are weak. Disc brakes sound wonderful, but it's a cheapo trailer to begin with. I bought it entirely for the floorplan, but it's quite a downgrade in quality from my old Jayco (which wasn't a high end trailer or anything itself, but it was put together a *lot* better).
    I get my brakes adjusted every spring during the annual inspection
    The trip to Fundy this year involved a panic stop down a 10 percent grade
    No warning before but some unintelligent lineman had communication cables low slung across the road at the bottom of this grade which also has a turn
    I was literally on top of a guy waving his arms for me to stop
    GMC with built in controller set to 6 and both stopped in time perfectly without issue
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better on the trip home for some reason, but still at full gain. .
    I wonder if it’s due to not carrying full water going home?
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    I wonder if it’s due to not carrying full water going home?
    Maybe, though I'm just talking about during my low speed "are they grabbing hard enough and releasing" test I do as I head towards the road. I don't know if the extra 500 pounds of water would make a significant difference when the truck & trailer together weigh 15K pounds.

Probably just need adjusting. Should have done it last year, even brand new it was requiring 8.5 gain to get the stopping power I wanted. I don't have another trip planned until the end of this month, so I got time to work on the adjustment. Come to think of it, I'm going to check the wiring connections at the hubs first. That would explain a sudden reduction in power.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to check the wiring connections at the hubs first. That would explain a sudden reduction in power.
    Good idea. If that is good perhaps you might have a failing brake controller.

I should add to make sure there’s no grease on the brake linings.
    Last edited by Tigger1; 08-03-2022 at 10:15 AM.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my next target. For whatever reason, on this last trip out, when I did my brake check I just wasn't too impressed. The brakes were working, but they didn't try too hard to stop the truck like they usually do. Ramped up the brake controller the last few notches, now it's maxed out at 10.0 (Ford OE controller) and it was ... acceptable, I guess, but not inspiring. Better on the trip home for some reason, but still at full gain. Time to figure out why the brakes on this trailer are weak. Disc brakes sound wonderful, but it's a cheapo trailer to begin with. I bought it entirely for the floorplan, but it's quite a downgrade in quality from my old Jayco (which wasn't a high end trailer or anything itself, but it was put together a *lot* better).
    Perhaps your brake tensioners just need some adjusting? That's part of routine maintenance so maybe you just need to give them a bit more tension since they've likely worn in a bit since new.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Perhaps your brake tensioners just need some adjusting? That's part of routine maintenance so maybe you just need to give them a bit more tension since they've likely worn in a bit since new.
    Yeah I'm going to check that. My last trailer had auto adjusting brakes that were trouble free. This one might not.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm going to check that. My last trailer had auto adjusting brakes that were trouble free. This one might not.
    Mine are manual but not sure what type are on each model...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Mine are manual but not sure what type are on each model...
    Yeah my rig is GD's cheapo trailer. We loved the floor plan quite a lot, but I'm sorta regretting buying a budget trailer.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You an assume that all ratings except one have built in safety margins. The one and most important exception occurs when (if) you are involved in an accident and there is a law suit. Your rig being overweight is not going to help your case or your conscience if someone is hurt.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That, of course, presupposes that the overweight allegation can be proven, and shown to be a contributing factor.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast