Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missing disc brake bolts on Momentum 320G

Well, here is an interesting problem I just discovered on my trailer. Walking down my driveway, I noticed some aluminum flakes on the ground. It was along the path my trailer takes when I am parking it, and with my current issues with the spring packs on it, crawled underneath and found what shows in the pictures. All four bolts holding the disc brake are missing. It has pulled the hydraulic line, but I don't see any leaks. A good amount of gouging on the inside of the rim, where the caliper has been resting on it. Not sure when this actually happened, as I got back from a 800 mile trip last week with it, although I don't think it has been this way for a long time. Yes, scary on the potential of what could have happened. I greased the shackles, and CRE3000 several months ago, and I am pretty sure if any of the bolts were missing, I would have noticed it.

Coincidence that happened on the side the dealer wants to change the shackle bracket, and both springs, not so sure. Writing an email to the factory, and will visit my dealer (without the trailer) tomorrow. I am thinking that finding the correct bolts and replacing them will be enough to safely move the trailer. Will have to have someone look at the rim, and determine if it is safe to continue to use it.

Any ideas, or suggestions are welcome.
    Attachment 42262
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20220802_211319701.jpg  
    Last edited by Wileykid; 08-02-2022 at 04:46 PM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attachment doesn't work, so not sure what you're referring to as the "disk brake". Caliper, rotor, or something else?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Attachment doesn't work, so not sure what you're referring to as the "disk brake". Caliper, rotor, or something else?
    Dang, shows up on mine.

The four bolts holding the disc brake assembly, (including the caliper) to the axle are missing, and hanging down, resting on the tire rim.

Edit: think the picture should be there, working from a phone.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 08-02-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I'm seeing the photo - are you logged in, Howard?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, now I see it. I don't know why it didn't show up the first time. I'm always logged in. Are those bolts that secure that, or studs? When was the last time that brake assembly was messed with? Somebody neglected to tighten the nuts/bolts down. Yeah, that could have been a real horror show.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also seeing the pics.
    Wow, good thing you notice the flakes while parked at home. I guess they weren't torque down properly.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are bolts, and unless the dealer did something, it has not been touched since new. Little over a year old, and I have put about 7K miles or so on it.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update on this, Dexter is covering the repair and replacement of the parts damaged. They have not committed to covering the rim, which after talking to several shops that specialize in aluminum rim repair, have said that it is not repairable.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished the repairs yesterday. The hardest part was re-bolting the caliper holding plate (anchor yoke) back on the axle. It sits on a shoulder around the axle, which appears to be a compression fit, along with the bolts. Dexter didn't know if it was a compression fit or not, and said they would get back to me (nope, didn't). I filed a small ramp and used the bolts to seat the plate. Bleed the rear two brakes (one being the new caliper), but was unable to do the front two as the factory actually partially rounded the bleed screws when they tightened them. Need to buy some new ones before I force them off.

Trailer seems to work like normal, took it around the block. Dexter still hasn't said anything about the rim.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very strange. Guess I need to start going under to just look everything over on a long trip. Clearly one never knows when something odd like this could happen.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast