User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suitcase solar panels

I am looking to get a suitcase solar panel for our 303. I have a single lithium battery that does well. I just want to add some solar RO avoid running the generator.

So, what suitcase solar system do you folks use and what would you recommend I get? 100 watt or 200 watt? Renege, Zamp, etc?.
    Jchild- Colorado Springs, CO
    - 2018 303RLS
    - 2015 GMC 2500HD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Renogy 200W suitcase, works great, however haven't had the need to use it much

I recently installed zamp plugs on the front and rear of our 2500RL to ensure that IF I need to use it, I have the outlets to plug into

Good luck
    Rick

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Renogy 200 watt suitcase. Works quite well. I installed a SAE plug on the side of the trailer so i can just plug it in. I use this plug to power our macerator pump also. Super convenient.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 renogy 200watt solar suitcase panels work very well heavy is the only down side . Wind won't blow them away atleast. If it does wouldn't want to be around.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a BigBlue 100W folding suitcase panel that I use once in a while. So far, so good. I swapped out the plug for an Anderson connector and then put a corresponding connector near my solar charge controller, wired in parallel with the rooftop solar. Also built a 50 foot extension cable (10 awg as I recall, to reduce losses) so I'd have flexibility with where in the campsite I could put it.

I still intend to steal TerryH's idea of the connector in the side. Right now I pull the wire through the orifice in the floor made for the water hose to go through.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the BigBlue 100W panel and this was my first weekend with it. It did ok, but it was hot and needed the generator to run the A/C, which also charged the batteries. I still setup the panel. We were in the trees and the 20' cable I bought was not long enough to reach the early morning sun. I'm going to get a 50' like rootusrootus. The BigBlue is so light, can store it on the bed when traveling, or in the bedroom closet at night. There are some good comparison youtube videos to help with your decision. I think my decision was based on weight, having a kickstand, having grommets, and getting close to 100W. It seems that the portable panel ratings are not like the rooftop models and get less than advertised.

I too am looking at TerryH's brilliant idea and having a connector on the side. However, my experience with SAE connectors is that they can be slightly different and not seat well. Also, when moving my panel around the SAE connector disconnects too easily.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question for TerryH. How do you connect your pump to it? Isn't the connector going to the solar controller? I was thinking of installing two connectors on the side of the trailer, one for the solar panel and one to power a DC fan. But, if one connector can do both, that would be better.
    2021 Imagine XLS 23bhe
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland v8 4WD | 7,400 tow | 6800 GVWR
    Husky WD 30849 w/ sway control kit | Tekonsha brake controller
    Jeep + driver and 2 passengers = 5,990 | Trailer = 6,520 | Tongue = 760

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had an Accopower 120W soft panel for a couple years. Very light so its easy to use and store. I moved the controller inside so it's close to the batteries and weather proof.

With good solar we gain power every day (no serious power used, TV, lights, fan)
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjokibbe View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question for TerryH. How do you connect your pump to it? Isn't the connector going to the solar controller? I was thinking of installing two connectors on the side of the trailer, one for the solar panel and one to power a DC fan. But, if one connector can do both, that would be better.
    The Renogy suitcase has a built in controller so it's outputting 12 volts. Makes everything simpler.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey