User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do I have/need

I picked my Momentum 394 up used and it does have a small solar panel that is hooked up to a 8 amp Nature Power charge controller. The charge controller doesn't have any lights on though apparently it is supposed too when hooked up.

I checked the leads coming from the solar panel and they show 20 volts before the charge controller and 19.6 after. That seems a little odd to me as 19 volts seems a little high going into the battery.

I didn't get much documentation on the solar panel, is there a way to tell how big it is? Or what it's capable of? Can I add anything to it?

I don't think this solar system is doing much if anything at all. My generator is set to start at a battery level if 11.5 volts and will often start on its own when boondocking with basically only the norcold 2118 fridge running. The unit is equipped with two deep cell batteries the will test 13 plus volts when fully charged.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220731_110601.jpg  
    2018 Ford F350
    2019 Momentum 394

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps @SolarPoweredRV will be able to help you. That doesn't look like a factory charge controller to me.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Perhaps @SolarPoweredRV will be able to help you. That doesn't look like a factory charge controller to me.

Rob
    Rob, you are correct. The 394M (I have a 2018 model), only comes prewired for solar. Other than the prewiring stuff....basically a plug in on the front of the trailer and some wiring inside that is not hooked to anything, there is nothing there. The pictured Nature powered charge controller was added by the previous owner or the previous owner's dealer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith596 View Post
    I picked my Momentum 394 up used and it does have a small solar panel that is hooked up to a 8 amp Nature Power charge controller. The charge controller doesn't have any lights on though apparently it is supposed too when hooked up.

I checked the leads coming from the solar panel and they show 20 volts before the charge controller and 19.6 after. That seems a little odd to me as 19 volts seems a little high going into the battery.

I didn't get much documentation on the solar panel, is there a way to tell how big it is? Or what it's capable of? Can I add anything to it?

I don't think this solar system is doing much if anything at all. My generator is set to start at a battery level if 11.5 volts and will often start on its own when boondocking with basically only the norcold 2118 fridge running. The unit is equipped with two deep cell batteries the will test 13 plus volts when fully charged.

Thanks
    As you might have guessed 8 amps of Solar charging is not much. This system is designed to keep your battery from dying while the camper is in storage and not much else.

Here is the information on your Solar Charge Controller:

https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Power-...05458060&psc=1

Based on the information from the Charge Controller, your Solar panel is probably 100 Watts or less.

The max voltage you should be getting out of the controller is 14.2 volts. Since you are getting 19 volts and the lights are not working tells me that this Solar Charge Controller is NOT working. You should disconnect this from your battery immediately because it is overcharging your battery and the high voltage could damage the circuits inside your RV (like the refrigerator control board).

You could replace the Solar Charge Controller with the same brand, or upgrade to a slightly better brand like Renogy for a couple Dollars less.

Here is a 10 amp Renogy Controller for $20:

https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Power-...05458060&psc=1

Keep in mind that this system will only keep your battery from going dead during storage.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, I was hoping I had something that would be worth building on. I did order the Renogy Controller to see if that will make it slightly usable, but if I decide on going solar, I might be better off starting from scratch.
    2018 Ford F350
    2019 Momentum 394

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith596 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I was hoping I had something that would be worth building on. I did order the Renogy Controller to see if that will make it slightly usable, but if I decide on going solar, I might be better off starting from scratch.
    Yes, you will be better off if you start from scratch.

Fortunately, you will not be wasting that much by starting over.

Here is a good posting to get you started:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...356#post406356
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK