User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dead Batteries - With Solar - New Owner question

First - As a brand new Solitude owner (310GK) (4th trailer overall - first 5th wheel and first one with solar) - I looked through the other postings, but was not able to find an answer to the below question.

We picked up camper 3 weeks ago, and placed it in a temp storage location until we get room in our driveway. Last week (10 days since pick up) we went to "practice driving with the 5th wheel" and the batteries were dead. When I placed the camper in storage, I turned off the battery disconnect swicth. I know this does not kill all the power (safety systems like CO2 sensor still on) but I did not expect the batteries (2 - 12V Lead Acid) to be dead within 10 days.

I have the factory installed 300W Solar panels with a WFCO 2000 Watt inverter. I expected the solar panels to maintain the battery. What I think is that I dont have the inverter turned on.

I've never had a solar system before, so this is probably a very simple question.

If the battery disconnect (in pass through) is turned OFF, my inverter batter disconnect switch turned On (in the basement area), can my WFCO inverter (using the LCD Panel in the pass through) be turned On to allow solar to maintain the batteries? If not, how do I use the solar panels to keep the batteries charged (what do I need to check to assure it is working

Thanks
    Clark and Jane (& Riley our Chocolate Lab)
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R, Solar Package, Slide Toppers, ABS
    2022 Silverado 3500HD SRW 8' High Country, B&W Companion 20K Hitch
    Previous Rigs: 2016 Cross Roads Sunset by THOR - 250RB, 2016 2500 HD Double Cab Gas

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our setup, the LCD panel in the basement controls the solar charge controller - not the converter/charger. It needs to be on with the battery type set to lead-acid, AGM, or lithium depending on which batteries you have. If it's off, the solar panel won't charge the batteries. Unless something has changed, the WFCO converter-charges do not have a remote control panel. Is this the panel you're seeing:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/56661

If so, that's for the solar charge controller.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    In our setup, the LCD panel in the basement controls the solar charge controller - not the converter/charger. It needs to be on with the battery type set to lead-acid, AGM, or lithium depending on which batteries you have. If it's off, the solar panel won't charge the batteries. Unless something has changed, the WFCO converter-charges do not have a remote control panel. Is this the panel you're seeing:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/56661

If so, that's for the solar charge controller.

Rob
    Thanks - On our 2022 310GK - This is the LCD/Screen we have Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wfco.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	42297.

It appears to provide Battery information, however when I turned it on tonight, I had the trailer hooked up to the truck 7 pin, as the batteries were dead and it showed zero voltage from the solar panels. I am somewhat curious if the truck proving power prevented to solar panels from providing power.

I disconnected both Battery disconnects and pulled both batteries - Took them home and will charge them tonight - and restart the learning process tomorrow.

Thanks - Clark
    Previous Rigs: 2016 Cross Roads Sunset by THOR - 250RB, 2016 2500 HD Double Cab Gas

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crv0262 View Post
    Thanks - On our 2022 310GK - This is the LCD/Screen we have Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wfco.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	42297.

It appears to provide Battery information, however when I turned it on tonight, I had the trailer hooked up to the truck 7 pin, as the batteries were dead and it showed zero voltage from the solar panels. I am somewhat curious if the truck proving power prevented to solar panels from providing power.

I disconnected both Battery disconnects and pulled both batteries - Took them home and will charge them tonight - and restart the learning process tomorrow.

Thanks - Clark
    The image is too small for me to tell what that panel is - does it say MPPT controller? If so, that's the solar charge controller. Having the trailer plugged into the truck should not have anything to do with either of the trailer's charging systems.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The image is too small for me to tell what that panel is - does it say MPPT controller? If so, that's the solar charge controller. Having the trailer plugged into the truck should not have anything to do with either of the trailer's charging systems.

Rob
    Thanks Rob, From what I am reading, the WFCO controller is the Inverter Controller and the associated remote screen and not the Jaboni Solar Controller. I know where the Jaboni Solar Charge Controller is located (Basement near the batteries), but I am not sure about the LCD location for the Solar controller - It appears I have a Blue Tooth Module that lets me manage this through my phone. This has helped me alot understanding this new system - Clark

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @crv0262 I am not familiar with your exact setup, however I would double check whether the solar panels can actually charge the batteries if you turn the battery disconnect switch OFF. That may be the reason why the batteries got depleted. Having 2 Lead Acid batteries be depleted within 10 days is not out of the norm.
    Last edited by alkbch; 08-04-2022 at 01:48 PM.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, From what I am reading, the WFCO controller is the Inverter Controller and the associated remote screen and not the Jaboni Solar Controller. I know where the Jaboni Solar Charge Controller is located (Basement near the batteries), but I am not sure about the LCD location for the Solar controller - It appears I have a Blue Tooth Module that lets me manage this through my phone. This has helped me alot understanding this new system - Clark
    Yes, as far as I know, WFCO does not make any solar charge controllers, so it would make sense that the WFCO display is for an inverter (which they do make). While in storage if you want to have the solar keep your batteries charged, the disconnect switch must be "On" (ie power is going through) as @alkbch suggests. Otherwise, you won't get any charging. I'd suggest getting the Bluetooth for the solar charge controller working ASAP so you can see what is coming in from the solar system. I'd also suggest you keep the inverter off during storage as well as anything else with a switch.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First - As a brand new Solitude owner (310GK) (4th trailer overall - first 5th wheel and first one with solar) - I looked through the other postings, but was not able to find an answer to the below question.

We picked up camper 3 weeks ago, and placed it in a temp storage location until we get room in our driveway. Last week (10 days since pick up) we went to "practice driving with the 5th wheel" and the batteries were dead. When I placed the camper in storage, I turned off the battery disconnect swicth. I know this does not kill all the power (safety systems like CO2 sensor still on) but I did not expect the batteries (2 - 12V Lead Acid) to be dead within 10 days.

I have the factory installed 300W Solar panels with a WFCO 2000 Watt inverter. I expected the solar panels to maintain the battery. What I think is that I dont have the inverter turned on.

I've never had a solar system before, so this is probably a very simple question.

If the battery disconnect (in pass through) is turned OFF, my inverter batter disconnect switch turned On (in the basement area), can my WFCO inverter (using the LCD Panel in the pass through) be turned On to allow solar to maintain the batteries? If not, how do I use the solar panels to keep the batteries charged (what do I need to check to assure it is working

Thanks
    I missed your thread, my learning curve with this factor solar system has been interesting.

When I took delivery, it was Tx's for coming by & either send a Bank Transfer prior or bring a certified cheque. Very sad, pay & get out was the process.

By the time I made it home, 1.5 hours driving the dealer installed 100ah battery was dead. The reason is the WFCO inverter remote switch in the storage area was on & the fridge was in electric. I doubt the dealer new it was there, nevermind turned on.

I'm guessing you also have the WFCO converter, it should be the -AD version meaning auto detect. It will choose the charge profile for your batteries including lithium. I'm running 2ea 200ah lithium that are bluetooth & have learned I have the wrong converter from GD. No -AD on the end of the model number, so no charge profile it is AGM LA only. GD is sending out the correct converter.

Jaboni solar charger never worked when I arrived home. There was a connector on the roof from the panel to controller that wasn't plugged in properly.

The Jaboni solar charger is working very well now, once I plugged in the bluetooth & contacted them how to set it up. I've configured it for the Lithium & is what has kept the batteries charged as I'm off grid. It is supposed to be a 300w panel, I doubt laying down it will ever see that.....maybe 250w @ best.

Jaboni & WFCO have been very helpful either by email or phone.

If you have any questions about your system I will try & help. I built a small solar system in my previous Jayco, so this wasn't brand new to me. The owners manual is marginally more helpful than the dealer....neither are good.
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
    I missed your thread, my learning curve with this factor solar system has been interesting.

When I took delivery, it was Tx's for coming by & either send a Bank Transfer prior or bring a certified cheque. Very sad, pay & get out was the process.

By the time I made it home, 1.5 hours driving the dealer installed 100ah battery was dead. The reason is the WFCO inverter remote switch in the storage area was on & the fridge was in electric. I doubt the dealer new it was there, nevermind turned on.

I'm guessing you also have the WFCO converter, it should be the -AD version meaning auto detect. It will choose the charge profile for your batteries including lithium. I'm running 2ea 200ah lithium that are bluetooth & have learned I have the wrong converter from GD. No -AD on the end of the model number, so no charge profile it is AGM LA only. GD is sending out the correct converter.

Jaboni solar charger never worked when I arrived home. There was a connector on the roof from the panel to controller that wasn't plugged in properly.

The Jaboni solar charger is working very well now, once I plugged in the bluetooth & contacted them how to set it up. I've configured it for the Lithium & is what has kept the batteries charged as I'm off grid. It is supposed to be a 300w panel, I doubt laying down it will ever see that.....maybe 250w @ best.

Jaboni & WFCO have been very helpful either by email or phone.

If you have any questions about your system I will try & help. I built a small solar system in my previous Jayco, so this wasn't brand new to me. The owners manual is marginally more helpful than the dealer....neither are good.
    Daleb, thanks this has been very helpful. We've had the 310gk-r about 4 weeks now, but have not had it out of storage. The storage location is about 20 minutes away, so every trip I learn something new.

Last night I learned none of the outlets were working, even on shore (generator) power. I found the GFCI in the bathroom was not wired properly. Fixed that and at least have outlet power. I am sure if that was miswired, something else is not correct also. Sadly, someone saw it was not working (The cover was cracked and the screws looked like they had been put in and take out a few times, but never seemed to get the wiring correct)

I have Flooded Deep Cell batteries, that I have pulled out and charged twice now. as they are dieing overnight.

The Jaboni BlueTooth monitor tells me the solar panels are generating power, however I do not have confidence yet if the power is getting to the batteries. I will be bringing my volt meter tonight to assure the Jaboni/Solar Charger is working.

Thanks for the tip on the WFCO converter model, I will take a look at the model.

There are a few questions I have.

a. I have a residential fridge, is there a way to turn off the power to the fridge, other than turning off the WFCO/Inverter?

b. Is there a connection between the Inverter output and the Shore Power? I am trying to diagram (for my education) how the electric all interplays, and I dont have an understanding of the Shore Power to Inverter interactions.
    eg. do the circuit breakers in the trailer turn off all power for those devices, or only the Shore power feed?

c. Is the WFCO Inverter also a charger? OR does it only pull power from the batteries?

d. Finally, how does solar feed the lights if there is no battery, and therefore the Jaboni battery charge cables are not hooked up? Is there a solar connection into the 12v system if the Jaboni is not connected to the batteries?

Thanks again!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daleb, thanks this has been very helpful. We've had the 310gk-r about 4 weeks now, but have not had it out of storage. The storage location is about 20 minutes away, so every trip I learn something new.

Last night I learned none of the outlets were working, even on shore (generator) power. I found the GFCI in the bathroom was not wired properly. Fixed that and at least have outlet power. I am sure if that was miswired, something else is not correct also. Sadly, someone saw it was not working (The cover was cracked and the screws looked like they had been put in and take out a few times, but never seemed to get the wiring correct)

I have Flooded Deep Cell batteries, that I have pulled out and charged twice now. as they are dieing overnight.

The Jaboni BlueTooth monitor tells me the solar panels are generating power, however I do not have confidence yet if the power is getting to the batteries. I will be bringing my volt meter tonight to assure the Jaboni/Solar Charger is working.

Thanks for the tip on the WFCO converter model, I will take a look at the model.

There are a few questions I have.

a. I have a residential fridge, is there a way to turn off the power to the fridge, other than turning off the WFCO/Inverter?

-You have a sub panel to the left of the main panel. Those are the CCT's for the inverter. Your inverter is 2000w & the fridge is powered by it thru the sub panel with a breaker. You can turn it off that way.

b. Is there a connection between the Inverter output and the Shore Power? I am trying to diagram (for my education) how the electric all interplays, and I dont have an understanding of the Shore Power to Inverter interactions.
    eg. do the circuit breakers in the trailer turn off all power for those devices, or only the Shore power feed?

- You have something called a transfer switch, the inverter goes to it as does shorepower. Its switches accordingly.

c. Is the WFCO Inverter also a charger? OR does it only pull power from the batteries?

-Inverter & converter are in our case separate devices. The converter generates 12vdc when on shorepower, that charges the batteries & runs the house 12 system

d. Finally, how does solar feed the lights if there is no battery, and therefore the Jaboni battery charge cables are not hooked up? Is there a solar connection into the 12v system if the Jaboni is not connected to the batteries?

-Jaboni is connected to the batteries & my understanding it is to charge only. You see from the app charge current & voltage, you can also see power from the panel, voltage & current.

Thanks again!
    I've replied directly in your thread.
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast