User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&W Hitch Issues

Hi,

2022 Solitude 310GK and GMC 2021 crew 3500 Std bed.

My first issue is my B&W sliding hitch seems to have a little play. I get a slight clunk when I stop and a slight clunk when I start. It's sliding on the rail, not the king pin. I haven't figured out how to get rid of the slack, if possible.

My second issue is that the point at which the jaw opening lever is free enough to open is different than the height at which the king pin is centered, free. I need to leave weight on the hitch to release the jaw without a lot of force on the jaw release lever. Then I have to raise the trailer a bit so it has just started to rise above the plate. The jaw closing lever closes by itself when I hitch the trailer.

Your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Alex and Karen
    2022 Solitude 310GK, 8K Axles, Disc, 300 Watt Solar
    200 AH Battle Born in Lock Box, Dreaming About More Batteries and Solar
    2021 GMC Crew, SB, SRW, Air Bags

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAder View Post
    Hi,

My first issue is my B&W sliding hitch seems to have a little play. I get a slight clunk when I stop and a slight clunk when I start. It's sliding on the rail, not the king pin. I haven't figured out how to get rid of the slack, if possible.

My second issue is that the point at which the jaw opening lever is free enough to open is different than the height at which the king pin is centered, free. I need to leave weight on the hitch to release the jaw without a lot of force on the jaw release lever. Then I have to raise the trailer a bit so it has just started to rise above the plate. The jaw closing lever closes by itself when I hitch the trailer.

Alex and Karen
    Sorry, don't have that hitch so I can't answer your question. Searching the forum (https://www.google.com/search?q=mygr...client=gws-wiz) might help.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like normal operation of a B&W slider.....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAder View Post
    Hi,

Alex and Karen
    Bought my B&W Companion Slider Hitch in 2017. Last year it started doing the "clunking" when stopping and then starting, I called B&W customer service and they sent me a set of washers to put at the front of the slider hitch. This stopped the "clunking".

Another problem that has developed is that when we go to unhitch the "jaws" do not open. We pull the locking handle, but the jaws do not open. We are able to raise the 5th wheel to get the weight off of the hitch and slowly pull forward and then the jaws open. I contacted B&W again and they sent me instructions clean the coupler. They seem straight forward, however since we are leaving on a month-long trip in a couple of weeks, I am going to take the truck/hitch to a local hitch company to do the maintenance.

I have found that B&W customer service is most helpful.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    Bought my B&W Companion Slider Hitch in 2017. Last year it started doing the "clunking" when stopping and then starting, I called B&W customer service and they sent me a set of washers to put at the front of the slider hitch. This stopped the "clunking".

Another problem that has developed is that when we go to unhitch the "jaws" do not open. We pull the locking handle, but the jaws do not open. We are able to raise the 5th wheel to get the weight off of the hitch and slowly pull forward and then the jaws open. I contacted B&W again and they sent me instructions clean the coupler. They seem straight forward, however since we are leaving on a month-long trip in a couple of weeks, I am going to take the truck/hitch to a local hitch company to do the maintenance.

I have found that B&W customer service is most helpful.
    You don't need the jaws to open to unhitch. That is the beauty of the B&W. As long as the locking lever is in the open position - at least 6 to 8" from closed you can just drive out of it. Make sure the weight is mostly off, but give it a try. My 25K B&W OEM Companion (heads are identical for all models) proved itself on my Alaska trip contending withe roughest roads and unlevel camping spots I found. No noise and worked perfectly. As long as I got the locking lever at least 1/2 open I could drive out - same with hooking up. As long as the king pin was below the hitch plate and locking arm open it locked up every time regardless of the angle.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was advised by someone in this forum to call B&W. I called and they are sending me washers that are supposed to address my clunking issue. It sounded like a common problem.
    2022 Solitude 310GK, 8K Axles, Disc, 300 Watt Solar
    200 AH Battle Born in Lock Box, Dreaming About More Batteries and Solar
    2021 GMC Crew, SB, SRW, Air Bags