User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Drain Hot Water tank or not ...

The time between our long weekend trips could be 4-6 weeks apart. Should I drain the hot water tank between trips?
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. I've been pulling a trailer for many years and only drained the HW tank when winterizing. I've never had an issue. With that said, I have started draining the tank if my trips are going to be several months apart.

For those that do, since folks usually don't drink from the HW supply, what is the benefit from frequent draining?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fill our water heater in the spring, and empty it in the fall when we winterize. As was said, we don't drink the hot water, and have had no problems. And it can be months between usages.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For that short of time I would not bother with draining the water heater if the water is from a clean and trusted source. I use a 0.5 micron filter so the water in my system is pretty clean. If you have any concerns about the water after six week, just flush it out before the next trip. I use the parts below to create a drain valve system to quickly flush my water heater.

I put this into the water heater to avoid any corrosion issues with my aluminum tank
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A 12" 1/2" NPT stainless steel braded protected water supply line in the middle

And this ball valve at the end
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That way I do not have to keep removing the nylon plug every time I want to flush the water heater.

Kevin
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drain mine between trips after having had very smelly hot water years ago. It takes about a minute to remove or replace the plug with new teflon tape. We usually have about a month between trips...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    ... since folks usually don't drink from the HW supply, what is the benefit from frequent draining?
    On our last trip, the rig was sitting for 6 weeks. Like you (dryfly) I only drain the hot water tank when winterizing. However, on our most recent trip, when I used the hot water for the first time (on this trip), it had a foul smell to it. The smell went away after a while. I am guessing once the water from the previous trip was used up. This has never happened before, so I am guessing the campground water from the last trip was nasty.

I store the rig in a covered RV and boat storage facility, but it has been really hot here in northern GA and I am wondering if having 9 gallons of water just sitting in the tank, combined with the heat had something to do with the foul smell.

I had the "cheap" blue water filter installed. Either that may not be enough ???
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We leave water in the heater between trips but we also don't drink the water.
    That said...
    It's good practice to periodically use a cleaning water wand to remove sediment from the tank. A double or triple fillter helps. Also hard water leaves plenty of deposits that need to be rinsed out of the water heater.

there is also a process to clean sediment for those with tankless heaters..google will find what needs to be done there
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timely question as I was just about to ask the same. We returned from trip mid June. Next one is late August. I just drained the fresh water tank today. Was planning on sanitizing (maybe) or just filling it up, running through the lines, then draining and refill to the level we want. We also don't drink the water from the tap. Likely just rinse and re-fill purging the lines along the way since I sanitized before last trip.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always drain it as I'm packing up. I turn off the water heater, open the water heater tank drain and let it run until the water is cool. Then I shut off the water supply to the camper and let the tank gravity drain. Don't know why, I just do it that way...
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had 4 weeks between trips and the water out of the hot water tank had an odor to it. Didn’t have a problem last year. I drained it this time when we got home. Hopefully no more odor on our next trip, or I’ll flush with vinegar solution or bleach.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast