User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly60s View Post
    Thanks, everyone for the great input. Your advice has helped a lot. I hadn't really thought about turning things on and off. I'm also pretty convinced that I need to get a soft start for the AC, even if I don't boondock very much. It seems like it would just be better all around for power management.
    I was quite surprised at the performance of the soft starts when I installed them. I will definitely have them from now on boondocking or not.
    Last edited by TerryH; 08-05-2022 at 10:10 AM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our hard wired surge protector has a display the tells me the condition of line, the voltage and current draw at that moment. If I remember correctly my AC unit would draw around 13-14 amps when running, but I have no idea what it draws on start up. I'm told it could be as high as 45 to 50 amps.

I purchase the Micro-Air Easy start for a couple of reasons. First and most important reason, we'd like to "boondock" with AC. Second, we'd like to be able to run the AC while the trailer is parked in our yard and all I've only got is 15 amp line out there. I'm also hoping that it may help out at those campgrounds where the AC was marginal. We've had a few instances where the AC is working fine and then when the compressor kicks on again (with the fan continually running), my Surge Protector shuts us down. We were at another campground where it wouldn't even start, so we didn't use AC at all and it was hot!. I noticed a neighbor near us running his AC, so I asked about it and he claimed his soft start kit made all the difference. Now I'm not expecting this to work all the time, but it should help once in while.

After I install the Easy-Start I'm going to either borrow a friends 2000W generator to see if it works okay before I invest in a generator. If the 2000W doesn't I know where I can borrow a Honda 2200i and see if that works. I do know that there are lots of generators under 60 lbs in the 2500W to 3000W range. I know that Honda has come out with a new unit EU3200i and its a 3200W (peak)/2600W (Running) generator, that only weights 59-lbs, but it lists for a staggering $2999!! I've seen it advertised for $2500, but this is still way too expensive. I could buy two Honda 2200is or three Generac 3000is for the same price! I know Honda's are good generators, but are they that good?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Our hard wired surge protector has a display the tells me the condition of line, the voltage and current draw at that moment. If I remember correctly my AC unit would draw around 13-14 amps when running, but I have no idea what it draws on start up. I'm told it could be as high as 45 to 50 amps.

I purchase the Micro-Air Easy start for a couple of reasons. First and most important reason, we'd like to "boondock" with AC. Second, we'd like to be able to run the AC while the trailer is parked in our yard and all I've only got is 15 amp line out there. I'm also hoping that it may help out at those campgrounds where the AC was marginal. We've had a few instances where the AC is working fine and then when the compressor kicks on again (with the fan continually running), my Surge Protector shuts us down. We were at another campground where it wouldn't even start, so we didn't use AC at all and it was hot!. I noticed a neighbor near us running his AC, so I asked about it and he claimed his soft start kit made all the difference. Now I'm not expecting this to work all the time, but it should help once in while.

After I install the Easy-Start I'm going to either borrow a friends 2000W generator to see if it works okay before I invest in a generator. If the 2000W doesn't I know where I can borrow a Honda 2200i and see if that works. I do know that there are lots of generators under 60 lbs in the 2500W to 3000W range. I know that Honda has come out with a new unit EU3200i and its a 3200W (peak)/2600W (Running) generator, that only weights 59-lbs, but it lists for a staggering $2999!! I've seen it advertised for $2500, but this is still way too expensive. I could buy two Honda 2200is or three Generac 3000is for the same price! I know Honda's are good generators, but are they that good?
    Agreed, one could purchase the Generac GP3300i on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/374198925670) for $815. This would meet most of the OP's needs (maybe not all at once).
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Honda but the generators are just too darn expensive for me. I'd look into the Predator 2000 if I was going to purchase a smaller one. Our Predator 3500 has been bulletproof. At 59 lbs, 58 db and under $700.00 it would be really hard for me to spend more for another brand. Get the extended warranty from Harbor Freight and you'd be golden.

https://www.harborfreight.com/genera...ogy-59135.html
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pretty much always dry camp. I have 4 inverters but my goto is my 3100w Champion. It will run everything in our camper, though not all at once. Morning routine is the coffee pot, maybe the toaster, and on shower day a hair dryer and rollers. The AC will be off while using the power hungry appliances but these are mostly short term uses and it will be off if we use the microwave. I don't have a soft start on my AC but it may(?) Be possible to use the same routine with a 2500/1800w inverter. My Champion has a remote start. I LOVE that, I can roll over, push a button, and the coffee is on before I get out of bed.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly60s View Post
    Thanks, everyone for the great input. Your advice has helped a lot. I hadn't really thought about turning things on and off. I'm also pretty convinced that I need to get a soft start for the AC, even if I don't boondock very much. It seems like it would just be better all around for power management.
    With SoftStart, you don’t know your AC is starting up. All of the sudden it is on.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to steal your thread but I'm concerned about the very same thing. I just purchased an EasyShare unit from Micro-Air, but haven't installed it yet. Unfortunely I have a really bad back so I'd to keep the generator as light as possible, so no heavier than 60lbs. So I was hoping that a Honda 2200i would have enough power to run our 15k AC unit and the battery charger. I'm hoping that we can load manage the extra loads like microwave (which we don't often use), the DW'S hair dryer and other stuff like computers, chargers etc.. Is this possible?
    When an air conditioner starts it consumes a large amount of energy for the first few seconds. Once all motors have started, the energy consumption goes down. The current required to start the air conditioner is frequently greater than a 2000W generator can produce. BUT, after the startup, the energy requirements fall within the ability of a 2000W generator.

This is where a soft start comes in. A soft start will reduce the start up energy requirement of the air conditioner. With a soft start the 2000W generator is able to start the air conditioner and keep it running.

So, the Honda 2200i probably doesn't have enough energy to start your 15K AC, but it does produce enough energy to run the 15K AC. With a soft start, the 2200i will work to start and run the 15K AC. I would recommend installing the soft start

If you find the 2200i isn't enough for all your needs, you can always get a 2nd 2200i and run in parallel with your first 2200i to supply double the power. Very flexible

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people would run what you're needing on a 3500 watt inverter generator. Note: You don't want one of those construction generators that runs full throttle all the time.

But you might have to cut off the a/c unit when you run the microwave--as a trade off.

The 3500 watt inverter units are easy to deal with. The best one going for the money is the Champion brand with remote control and electric starting. I like to say they're 90% as good as a Honda/Yamaha at half the cost. And customer service at Champion is excellent--even if it's a Chinese company being run by Americans.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had a Micro-air Easystart for 4 years. Super easy to install. Our Westinghouse iPro2500 could power the 15k BTU AC and a coffee maker or a microwave. Fixed a bad circuit breaker on the Westinghouse and sold it.

The replacement is a new dual fuel Champion 200977.

Why?
    1. we always have propane
    2. clean inverter power
    3. 79 pounds is manageable for one 63 year old person
    4. Running on propane means the carb shouldn't need replacement, ever
    5. no gas fumes or spills in the back of the truck
    6. power to spare and in case of zombies, we could use gas...as a last resort.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So with a $1000 budget would it make more sense to go with the Champion Power Equipment 200987 4500-Watt Remote Start and no Micro-Aire or to get a Wen 3800 watt with Micro-Aire?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast