User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Generator size (and/or soft start) to power Transcend Xplor 297QB

Sorry to bring up anything that has already been hashed out. I have read through as many of the posts as I could stand to after searching the site. As the subject line implies, I have a Transcend Xplor 297QB and I want to get a generator that will power it for dry camping. I have looked at calculators and the supplied owners' manuals etc, but I'm having a hard time coming up with what I need.

Having never dry camped, I imagine I would want to power AC, fridge, water pump, microwave, coffee pot, and lights at the same time. The calculators I have used all say that I would need at least 4500 watts to handle that, but I see lots of people on here seem to be running much larger trailers with two AC's etc with 3,500 watt generators.

Does anyone have any advice on what size generator I would need to power this size trailer? I know that some folks install the soft start system, so can you clarify when you explain the generator size you recommend if I would need a soft start in addition to the generator? For example, could I run this with a 3,500 watt with no soft start?

Thanks in advance.
    2016 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost
    2022 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly60s View Post
    Sorry to bring up anything that has already been hashed out. I have read through as many of the posts as I could stand to after searching the site. As the subject line implies, I have a Transcend Xplor 297QB and I want to get a generator that will power it for dry camping. I have looked at calculators and the supplied owners' manuals etc, but I'm having a hard time coming up with what I need.

Having never dry camped, I imagine I would want to power AC, fridge, water pump, microwave, coffee pot, and lights at the same time. The calculators I have used all say that I would need at least 4500 watts to handle that, but I see lots of people on here seem to be running much larger trailers with two AC's etc with 3,500 watt generators.

Does anyone have any advice on what size generator I would need to power this size trailer? I know that some folks install the soft start system, so can you clarify when you explain the generator size you recommend if I would need a soft start in addition to the generator? For example, could I run this with a 3,500 watt with no soft start?

Thanks in advance.
    Well, it depends. You mention that you'd like to be able to run everything at once, which will require a larger generator. It looks like you've looked at all of the things you want to run and determined their power requirements. So with that, you can come up with a power budget. Then choose a genny that covers your budget. But, do you really need to run everything at once? A large generator both costs more and uses more gas. And it's noisier, do you want to be "that guy" that everyone at the campground is wishing would silence the generator? Personally, I run a 2,300 peak watt, 1,800 continuous watt generator that with a soft start will run my AC and a little bit more. It's pretty quiet (a Honda would be even quieter).

You may want to consider some battery storage to go with your roof solar panels and 12-volt refrigerator. Then you won't need to run the genny all the time.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get away with a 3500 peak and 3000 constant Predator 3500. I just don’t run the two guzzlers at the same time (microwave and AC). A hair dryer will also over budget you. I easily get away with coffee, AC, fridge and others at the same time. Your AC is the one device you can just turn off for the over budget time. And how long would that be? Popcorn is 2:40 for me. Other than that I don’t use the microwave a lot.

Good luck.
    Randy and Kris

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly60s View Post

Thanks in advance.
    It isn't always necessary to run everything at once. So load sharing helps if you have a smaller generator.

fwiw... I carry 2 Honda 2000is (old ones). They serve me well for the little bit of dry camping I have to do once in a while. But if necessary I feel I can survive with them both on for a long time.

One advantage to having dual generators is that they are lighter. Another plus is that if you just need a little power than one is great.

Then there is the cost..... that's where you have to decide what to do....

No need to apologize for starting another generator thread.... I suspect you will find this turns out as others... we all have our preferences and favorites and then you have to decide. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were able to run our main AC (Coleman Mach 15k) and pretty much whatever else we needed in our Momentum 31G with our Predator 3500. We could not run the 2nd AC (Coleman Mach 13.5k) until we installed SoftStartRV modules in both AC units. Have to be mindful of what else is running if powering both AC's.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Traveldawg and TerryH have some good advice.

The continuous power consumers are what will likely determine the size of the generator. a Coleman Mach 15K AC will use about 1400W continuously. If you have 2 of those that is 2800W, a 13.5K is about 1200W (If want to run your air conditioner(s) with a generator, I would highly recommend soft starts on all AC units.). fridge is about 150W. The converter/charger will be near continuous and can use up to around 1500W at times. So you are looking at probably 3000W to 3500W of required power at all times.

For other power usage the large power consumers are microwave at about 1100W, coffee pot is another 1100W. For these you can turn off an AC, run the microwave or coffee pot or hair dryer, then turn the AC back on when finished.

Advantage of 1 large generator (3500W+) is that it is only 1 generator to worry about. Takes up less space and less fuel than multiple generators.

The advantage of smaller generators is you can customize based on usage and needs. During the summer when you want to run your AC, you can parallel two 2000W generators. If it's cooler temperatures and don't need the AC, a single 2000W generator will probably do fine and take up less space.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to steal your thread but I'm concerned about the very same thing. I just purchased an EasyShare unit from Micro-Air, but haven't installed it yet. Unfortunely I have a really bad back so I'd to keep the generator as light as possible, so no heavier than 60lbs. So I was hoping that a Honda 2200i would have enough power to run our 15k AC unit and the battery charger. I'm hoping that we can load manage the extra loads like microwave (which we don't often use), the DW'S hair dryer and other stuff like computers, chargers etc.. Is this possible?
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 08-05-2022 at 04:29 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I don't mean to steal your thread but I'm concerned about the very same thing. I just purchased an EasyShare unit from Micro-Air, but haven't installed it yet. Unfortunely I have a really bad back so I'd to keep the generator as light as possible, so no heavier than 60lbs. So I was hoping that a Honda 2200i would have enough power to run our 15k AC unit and the battery charger. I'm hoping that we can load manage the extra loads like microwave (which we don't often use), the DW'S hair dryer and other stuff like computers, chargers etc.. Is this possible?
    It might work without the soft start but would be much better with it. Once that's installed you should be fine as long as you manage the high current items 1 at a time.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you invest and then find out it won’t work, get a current measuring device. A clamp on meter or if you have a surge suppressor that communicates power usage. Then you can inventory your electrical loads before buying. Boondocking is all about sacrificing. Showers, paper plates and utensils, water and then electrical devices when on generator. A good inventory will help you shop for a weight to help your back.

SoftStart is also great for us as TerryH stated. It will help us add a little more comfort when on the dry.

Good luck.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone for the great input. Your advice has helped a lot. I hadn't really thought about turning things on and off. I'm also pretty convinced that I need to get a soft start for the AC, even if I don't boondock very much. It seems like it would just be better all around for power management.
    2016 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost
    2022 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast