User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro55 View Post
    TY No real issues with the length. Why do you think a van is not "the best" tow vehicle?
    Because a van wheelbase is based off of the loaded weight of the van, not towing like most trucks are.

It may be more than capable. If you are 100% you wouldn't have asked the question.

Payload is based off the actual weight sticker inside your driver's door, not published numbers.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The door sticker has the numbers that matter. Towing guides give you general info not vehicle specific.

We towed or first 28 ft Travel Trailer with an
    E 150 with added leaf springs . No sway but you could tell it wasn't the ideal tow vehicle and hill climbs made it evident. Did not take long to upgrade tow vehicles, we had gotten our first 1 ton srw truck. The difference was night and day.
    I always loved having the long wheel base van with endless passenger and storage space.. It was good practice for learning to back up the long bed pick up trucks.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to the door sticker for payload, don't forget to pay attention to the hitch rating. I had a 2013 F350 as a TV and even after 7 years, the rating sticker on the hitch was still legible. See if you have one.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Because a van wheelbase is based off of the loaded weight of the van, not towing like most trucks are.

It may be more than capable. If you are 100% you wouldn't have asked the question.

Payload is based off the actual weight sticker inside your driver's door, not published numbers.
    The sticker inside the door is virtually identical to the GNC trailering guide. I am asking because I get asked "You tow that with a van ??" Actually, the big Savana seems unfazed by its towing duties. Not really following "Because a van wheelbase is based off of the loaded weight of the van" It is rated at 10000 LBS towing and has a 3400LB payload.
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL
    Equalizer 2, 4-point hitch.
    2015 GMC Savana 2500 6.0 liter
    Locking rear differential. Bilstein shocks, heavy-duty trailering package, Tow/Haul mode.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    In addition to the door sticker for payload, don't forget to pay attention to the hitch rating. I had a 2013 F350 as a TV and even after 7 years, the rating sticker on the hitch was still legible. See if you have one.
    Thank you! I will do that—Equilizer 2 WD hitch with the heavier square bars.
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL
    Locking rear differential. Bilstein shocks, heavy-duty trailering package, Tow/Haul mode.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro55 View Post
    Thank you! I will do that—Equilizer 2 WD hitch with the heavier square bars.
    Just to clarify, I was referring to the actual receiver hitch mounted to the frame of your van. You may have known that, but just wanted to be sure.

For a not-the-best comparison, my wife has a 2020 Expedition Max with the tow package. I'm fairly certain the Class IV 2" receiver hitch is rated at a max tongue weight of 930 lb using a WDH. I can't recall what the rating is if not using a WDH - maybe 850 lb? And, I also can't recall where I got the 930 lb number because the hitch on her vehicle doesn't have the rating sticker, at least in a place that is visible. There is a possibility I just completely made those numbers up, so discount everything I said.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the silver sticker on the drivers side door jam. It should tell you the payload for your specific vehicle. Because most people make changes to their vehicle, I will also give you the advice to take to a CAT scale to determine actual available payload. You will also want to measure the tongue weight of the trailer.

When considering towing, there are 3 numbers to look for in a tow vehicle: towing capacity, payload and GCVWR.

We had a 2012 Chevy Express 3500 (same as your GMC Savana, but 3 years older). Towing capacity was 9600#. Payload (on door sticker) was 3496#. GCVWR was 16000#. The trailer we chose was at the very limit of towing capacity, well within the payload limit, but was over the GCVWR. Because we planned to pull the trailer thousands of miles, through mountains we opted to trade in for a more suitable tow vehicle.

the GCVWR should be about 16000# for your vehicle. Your vehicle loaded will likely be just shy of 8000# leaving 8000# for the trailer. The 2970 RL GVWR is 8995# so you are likely at the very limit, or possibly a little over the limit, of your tow vehicle.

For trucks the limiting factor tends to be payload. For 1 ton vans the limiting factor seems to be GCVWR.

In the end, it is you who will decide what is safe and what you are comfortable with. We were not comfortable towing at the very limits of the Express with 4 kids. We "upgraded" to a 6 seat 3/4 ton truck and are now well within towing limits, which I am much more comfortable with.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acoleman43 View Post
    Look at the silver sticker on the drivers side door jam. It should tell you the payload for your specific vehicle. Because most people make changes to their vehicle, I will also give you the advice to take to a CAT scale to determine actual available payload. You will also want to measure the tongue weight of the trailer.

When considering towing, there are 3 numbers to look for in a tow vehicle: towing capacity, payload and GCVWR.

We had a 2012 Chevy Express 3500 (same as your GMC Savana, but 3 years older). Towing capacity was 9600#. Payload (on door sticker) was 3496#. GCVWR was 16000#. The trailer we chose was at the very limit of towing capacity, well within the payload limit, but was over the GCVWR. Because we planned to pull the trailer thousands of miles, through mountains we opted to trade in for a more suitable tow vehicle.

the GCVWR should be about 16000# for your vehicle. Your vehicle loaded will likely be just shy of 8000# leaving 8000# for the trailer. The 2970 RL GVWR is 8995# so you are likely at the very limit, or possibly a little over the limit, of your tow vehicle.

For trucks the limiting factor tends to be payload. For 1 ton vans the limiting factor seems to be GCVWR.

In the end, it is you who will decide what is safe and what you are comfortable with. We were not comfortable towing at the very limits of the Express with 4 kids. We "upgraded" to a 6 seat 3/4 ton truck and are now well within towing limits, which I am much more comfortable with.
    Nice post very informative. I agree that I am right at the limit; if I were planning on towing through mountains or a great distance I would switch. We travel 200-300 max miles on any trip and stay in the state of Michigan which has few if any steep long grades. On most trips, it pulls like a champ but not always. I am putting Goodyear Endurance tires on it to replace the OEM Westlakes. I will update at the end of the month. In addition its just my wife and I and our 28lb Shiba Inu are in the Savana, we also travel as light as possibile.
    Last edited by Zorro55; 08-05-2022 at 12:11 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Why I read but don’t participate

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Folks, I'm just going to say this right away before we have another run-away thread on weights, lengths, what works, and why things won't work. You know - the ones that deteriorate into a he-said, she-said battle that is useless to most members.

When you comment, comment. Please don't come off as challenging another member; please don't make random one sentence statements about why something won't work without some backup information; please don't just blurt a question like "...what makes you think that is OK...?", etc. Explain yourself and your comments - help people. Point out factual information or explain why you think something will or won't work - you personal experience is what folks want - NOT your one liners about 'that won't work', or 'why?, or 'show me'. They want to know why you think something will or won't work.

Too many of these threads are getting too 'testy', and many posts are just useless with just a question that, to many members, just comes across as goading or challenging with no real helpfulness. - someone asks a simple questions another others just make one-sentence statements or just post questions (e.g. "...what make you think it will work..."; "...that won't work.

Bottom line - be thoughtful, be helpful - or just pass on commenting.

Thanks - -from just one moderator who, after 32 posts in our moderator forum about one such post (now gone), would rather help folks than police their rudeness.

Carry on.......
    Great note! Exactly why I don’t post much. I read every thread applicable to our Rig, style and interest. Never comment or ask questions ‘cause everyone seems so preachy and condescending. Nevertheless, there is a ton to learn reading most posts. Just don’t like all the snippy attitudes. Notes like your’s should go a long way. Keep up the great info!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve towed with something close to your van, a 2013 Suburban 2500. Same 6.0L and transmission and rear end. I think it shares the same 16,000lb gvw. We were close to 15,000lbs with us, kids and a SHIBA INU. �� If you have a longer wheelbase van you will be in good shape. Our Suburban had a 130” wheelbase and with the long rear overhang it wasn’t the most stable on windy days. The equalizer did a great job with the task at hand.

I think you mentioned you have Bilstein shocks, I had a brand new set I installed and they were meh. I replaced them after one year and 12,000 miles. You know how bad our roads are. I replaced them with KYB Monomax and they were much firmer and kept it more under control. You have more rear spring than I did, but I did install some airlift ride control bags, they helped with the purposing over the frost heaves. Note if you are just touching the overload springs the ride will be bad, if you are off them or set down one them an inch or two it might ride fine like that. Barely touching makes the rear end a little bouncy.

Our tongue weighs about 950lbs and camper is about 30ft long and 7000lbs ready to camp. So a little shorter and lighter. The 6.0L is fine for Michigan, we would put it in tow haul mode and manual shift it. It will stay in 5th on I-75 at 2400 rpm except for the hills. We towed around 67mph. Mileage was 7.0-7.4mpg.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast