User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payload amount question

My GMC Savana 6 liter has 3400 pounds of payload. Am I correct to assume this is plenty for my 2970RL? All these payload posts have me a little confused. In addition, we have the last row seat removed for more cargo space. Does this increase my payload ??
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL
    Equalizer 2, 4-point hitch.
    2015 GMC Savana 2500 6.0 liter
    Locking rear differential. Bilstein shocks, heavy-duty trailering package, Tow/Haul mode.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best way to figure out your available payload is load the truck with gear and passengers, then goto a CAT scale. Subtract your weight from the truck GVWR and that's your available payload. Then determine how much the hitch weighs and the pin or tongue weight of trailer, depending if its 5th wheel or TT. Keep in mind advertised trailer weights are low as they dont include propane tanks, batteries, liquid or any cargo.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be. You will most likely have more issues with the length of the 2970. Vans aren't the best tow vehicles.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Should be. You will most likely have more issues with the length of the 2970. Vans aren't the best tow vehicles.
    TY No real issues with the length. Why do you think a van is not "the best" tow vehicle?
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL
    Locking rear differential. Bilstein shocks, heavy-duty trailering package, Tow/Haul mode.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What else is in the van? If it is a full 15 passenger van then probably not.

Since it sounds like you already have both I would load both ready to camp and stop by a scale and get all 3 weights to be sure your WDH is setup properly too.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro55 View Post
    My GMC Savana 6 liter has 3400 pounds of payload. Am I correct to assume this is plenty for my 2970RL? All these payload posts have me a little confused. In addition, we have the last row seat removed for more cargo space. Does this increase my payload ??
    Question....where did you get your "payload" information from....the actual sticker on the door post or door.....or from a brochure/web site info/ The one on the door or door post is the actual one for the vehicle!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The loaded tongue weight for that trailer will be about 1,075 lbs. - not what is published (empty weight). Removing the rear seat for "storage space" will actually decrease your payload if you fill that space with a lot of stuff. As suggested, fuel the van, load all your passengers and pets, and head for the CAT scales. Subtract the scale weight from the GVWR on the door sticker and you'll have your payload. Subtract from that 100 lbs. for a good WD hitch and weight for whatever cargo you're going to put in the back where you removed the third row seats. You can also get all your numbers and plug them in here:

TT weight calculator: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 08-05-2022 at 07:59 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks, I'm just going to say this right away before we have another run-away thread on weights, lengths, what works, and why things won't work. You know - the ones that deteriorate into a he-said, she-said battle that is useless to most members.

When you comment, comment. Please don't come off as challenging another member; please don't make random one sentence statements about why something won't work without some backup information; please don't just blurt a question like "...what makes you think that is OK...?", etc. Explain yourself and your comments - help people. Point out factual information or explain why you think something will or won't work - you personal experience is what folks want - NOT your one liners about 'that won't work', or 'why?, or 'show me'. They want to know why you think something will or won't work.

Too many of these threads are getting too 'testy', and many posts are just useless with just a question that, to many members, just comes across as goading or challenging with no real helpfulness. - someone asks a simple questions another others just make one-sentence statements or just post questions (e.g. "...what make you think it will work..."; "...that won't work.

Bottom line - be thoughtful, be helpful - or just pass on commenting.

Thanks - -from just one moderator who, after 32 posts in our moderator forum about one such post (now gone), would rather help folks than police their rudeness.

Carry on.......
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Question....where did you get your "payload" information from....the actual sticker on the door post or door.....or from a brochure/web site info/ The one on the door or door post is the actual one for the vehicle!
    Door and GMC trailering guide to confirm.
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The loaded tongue weight for that trailer will be about 1,075 lbs. - not what is published (empty weight). Removing the rear seat for "storage space" will actually decrease your payload if you fill that space with a lot of stuff. As suggested, fuel the van, load all your passenger and pets, and heat for the CAT scales. Subtract the scale weight from the GVWR on the door sticker and you'll have your payload. Subtract from that 100 lbs. for a good WD hitch and weight for whatever cargo you're going to put in the back where you removed the third row seats. You can also get all your numbers and plug them in here:

TT weight calculator: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

Rob
    Thanks, just a couple of lightweight bikes in the back. The reason for my inquiry is a van is all I have ever pulled with. I get some surprised people at campgrounds that ask me "You pull that with a van ?? GMC trailering guide tells me it can tow 10,000 LBS and has a 3400 LB payload. We stick to Michigan and the Savana appears to be unfazed with the towing duties.
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast