User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently towed from Illinois to Arizona. Obeyed the speed limit with a max speed of 70 (occasionally 75 when passing). I hit some head winds on the way (25-35mph). Unfortunately that put winds in excess of 100mph going over my roof. When I arrived in AZ the TPO roof was rippled from the edge of the front cap to the front air-conditioner. The Dicor (caulk) was peeled back. The truck towed the trailer just fine. Felt stable. Mileage was 6-7mpg. I was over-confident and paid the price. $2000 to fix the roof. Luckily the TPO was not damaged and just needed to be reglued.

Lesson Learned: Slow Down! 65 is now my top speed. Slower in windy conditions (side winds or head wind). Will even pull over and spend the night until the weather calms down. Cheaper than repairing a damaged trailer.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the interstate, typically around 60mph.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to tow no faster than 65 mph and never over the speed limit. So if it's 50 mph, I go 50 mph. I know that have a bit of a lead foot, so I have up my GPS (CoPilot) set up so that it gives me an audible alarm if I go faster than the posted speed limit. The noise can be annoying, but it does help me keep the speed down.
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 08-05-2022 at 02:16 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time I see these threads most say they top out at 65, maybe 68 MPH. Every time I am on the road towing, I am getting passed by trucks towing trailers at 70+ MPH. Either forum members drive more slowly than average or forum members are not average.
    Would be interesting to know the average age of forum members and RV owners. I would guess we are on the older end of the scale.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between 60 and 65 if conditions are good. And I'm below 50 so I tow faster then my age. But I do see younger families fly by.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro55 View Post
    Rob, you are a fountain of knowledge.
    No - just old (but thanks).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alias100 View Post
    Every time I see these threads most say they top out at 65, maybe 68 MPH. Every time I am on the road towing, I am getting passed by trucks towing trailers at 70+ MPH. Either forum members drive more slowly than average or forum members are not average.
    Would be interesting to know the average age of forum members and RV owners. I would guess we are on the older end of the scale.
    I tow at 65, have done for the last ~20 years or so. I am slightly over the age of my towing speed.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    67 when possible but I'm guessin' 65 more often than not (Interstate). I like the more comfortable State roads when the pavement is good. 4-6 mph under my age
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally try to set my cruise at 62, which is also my age. Driving my age works fine now, but in 10 years or so....
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General rule of thumb, do not out tow your rig. Trailer or tow vehicle. I go as fast as I am comfortable with. Most of the time, that is 67-72 MPH, this gives me room on the throttle to pass, or if I need to stop the tail from wagging to dog (which doesn't happen with a fifth wheel or goose neck). Goodyear Endurance tires on the trailer have a speed rating of 87 MPH. The tires on my truck has a speed rating of 112 MPH. (My truck has a speed governer that throttles my speed at 100 MPH. No I did not find this out while towing. Yes, I found this out on the freeway. That is all I'm going to say about that. )

I try to use cruise control because of my lead foot, also I get better gas mileage with cruise control. I have also found that whether I go 50 MPH or 75 MPH, towing my gas mileage stays at between 8-10 miles per gallon.

Now that we are full timing, I find that my freeway speeds are between 62-67 MPH, just due to the fact that I am towing more weight. It's really going to be a learning process for anyone towing anything. It takes me several hundred miles to get used to the trailer (and tow vehicle) to really get to know how the rig handles. Even then, there are times that I'm surprised at how the rig handles in certain situations that I hadn't encountered within the first several hundred miles.

Also remember that over confidence in your towing ability CAN lead to complacency.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast