User Tag List

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do a lot of road trip’n with our RAM 3500 (SRW) and avoid Interstate Highway’s whenever possible.
    Usually 4-6 mph slower than posted.
    Currently in the midst of a 6K + mile trip and now averaging about 1.5 mpg better than last trip.
    2nd Cummins, with 120K miles between the two!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I still worked I drove faster. I’m retired now & in no hurry. Plus better mpg. Max is 68. I seem to do best around 65 or in lower speed limits 55. It is so much less stressful. One exception is when I’m in heavy, heavy traffic. I keep up with right lane traffic but leave lots of room in front of me. Heavy traffic creates too many potential issues because you are holding up everything.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Driving at 62 seems too slow, so I sometimes switch my display to Km/Hour. Going 100 is much more satisfying then going 62! Also gives me the chance to brush up on my mental math skills when the speed limit changes. Let's see, 45 times 1.61 is ????
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Between 60 and 65 if conditions are good. And I'm below 50 so I tow faster then my age. But I do see younger families fly by.
    Well maybe I am the odd ball here...I am 53 and have been towing and pulling heavy loads since I was 17. I tow to the speed limit and even past by 5-10 sometimes. That means here in CO...my average towing speeds are 80MPH with my previous 16K Montana and my 1-ton truck. That's on the open highways where traffic permits and such. I keep good tires on my vehicles and recycle my camper tires after three years always no matter what the mileage. And as far as fuel consumption....I get about 10-12 with the rig depending on the mountains and the wind. Fuel economy is something that I write off based on the choices I've made on rig size, speed and distance to the camping site and etc. To me it's like when people ask me how many MPG my 67 BBC Chevelle gets with it's 640 HP. I just laugh!
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10-12 mpg running 80 mph? You must have one of those really optimistic Lie-o-meters.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Well maybe I am the odd ball here...I am 53 and have been towing and pulling heavy loads since I was 17. I tow to the speed limit and even past by 5-10 sometimes. That means here in CO...my average towing speeds are 80MPH with my previous 16K Montana and my 1-ton truck. That's on the open highways where traffic permits and such. I keep good tires on my vehicles and recycle my camper tires after three years always no matter what the mileage. And as far as fuel consumption....I get about 10-12 with the rig depending on the mountains and the wind. Fuel economy is something that I write off based on the choices I've made on rig size, speed and distance to the camping site and etc. To me it's like when people ask me how many MPG my 67 BBC Chevelle gets with it's 640 HP. I just laugh!
    Can you tell me how much your Reflection weighs? I’ve been towing fifth wheels since 2004. I own a Solitude 345 & is tow with 2021 Silverado 3500. I’ve tried every speed between 60 & 75 & never gotten over 10.5 mpg over a 300 mile tow. If the wind is behind me I’ve gotten 12 mpg on a level 100 mile road at 65 mph. Help me know how to get the fuel economy you achieve. I average 8000 to 12000 miles a year towing.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    10-12 mpg running 80 mph? You must have one of those really optimistic Lie-o-meters.
    Nice..that made me smile even though a comment like that always has more behind it than what meets the eye.

I don't make a habit of over exaggerating things in person nor on these forums. The data I provided was factual from my driving and my rig. The intriguing topic of this post was all about towing MPH...I just provided the norm for what I do and my "average" MPG when doing it. I say--take it or leave it. I'm not trying to sell anyone on my driving techniques nor my truck config. The numbers I noted were average. If I am going up passes in CO like Wolf Creek, the Eisenhower tunnel or things like Teton Pass in Wyoming then of course I am not getting that MPG because those are 7-10% inclines...but you can bet I am in the left lane passing most as I make my way to the top. The main point was that +/- 2 MPG is not a big deal to me but I know it is to others. I am glad to have the power after pulling in CO with gas and underpowered diesel trucks in the past.

I also understand the comment about being retired and going slower. I have no issues with people who want to drive slower than the speed limit whether they are pulling or not. I just request they stay in the right lane to avoid clogging of the traffic. Maybe at some point if we do experience a real shortage in fuel or the prices are even more exaggerated than they are today...I may change as well. On the weekends, I too slow down and enjoy them. When I am pulling to the campsites...I don't feel like I am hurrying...I am just enjoying the Western speed limits and the power of the rig I'm paying for.

My new GM truck is smooth and you have to watch your speeds at all times because it's hard to tell how fast everything is moving since there is limited engine and road noise. Just a few weeks back, we went to Yellowstone and when coming back on I-80, I looked down and was going 92 MPH. I could not even tell. I immediately slowed down as I can't make a good argument about that being a safe towing speed but my point is...it was so smooth and the RPMs are down so low with the Allison trans...the truck is not working very hard at all. Now going up the hills at a fast rate of speed...we are drinking the diesel and the DEF to make things happen. It's all part of the camping investment that I love and enjoy.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    Can you tell me how much your Reflection weighs? I’ve been towing fifth wheels since 2004. I own a Solitude 345 & is tow with 2021 Silverado 3500. I’ve tried every speed between 60 & 75 & never gotten over 10.5 mpg over a 300 mile tow. If the wind is behind me I’ve gotten 12 mpg on a level 100 mile road at 65 mph. Help me know how to get the fuel economy you achieve. I average 8000 to 12000 miles a year towing.
    Hi Ray....well I just got my Reflection about 2+ weeks ago and haven't traveled with that yet other than to bring it back to CO from Kansas City. I pushed the truck and camper in the wind on the way back at over 80 MPH and was averaging 10 but I think I can do better with it. It seems to be ~4k lbs lighter and 8' shorter in length plus the height reductions than the Montana that I was pulling but we will see. Therefore I don't know all the weights and specifics numbers on that rig yet. I will find that out in early summer when we hit the road for our weekend trips. I am not a full timer...just a weekender throughout the summer and usually take one big road trip in the fall. We downsized to this smaller camper to get in the woods better and easier.

On your config...your truck sounds the same as mine with exception of it being a dually. Remember the obvious...duallies are heavier and offer more wind resistance and rolling resistance due to the extra wheels/tires, fender flares, and etc. I'm guessing that could be part of the difference. Also as being a car restorer and mechanic for 40+ years...if you have disc brakes on your camper...there is also more resistance with those types of brakes than drum. This is why most racers who are trying to squeeze as much out of their cars as possible will still run drum brakes. If I read your email signature wrong...I apologize. All of my GM diesel trucks that I have had in the last 14 years have been SRW....not a dually. Sorry!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drive right at the speed limit until 60. 60 is my limit. Stay in right lane on two-lane roads, and second from the right lane for all others.
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I think about others opinions of how fast I am Not driving is posted on the back of my 260RD:
    "I'm Retired, Go Around Me!" (from Etsy)
    But you will usually find me behind a slow moving Semi.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast